Release Notes 4/29/10

OpinioNate

Bug that has been around awhile - checked to see if this update will fix it. Do a PQ search (anyone) and use February 31 (or 30), as the end date, the search will result in 1000 (or whatever your max amount set) caches in the search.

I did one for caches placed 2-1-2010 to 2-31-10 / 100 mile radius. The results show 1000 caches, click on preview the search and it does show 1000 caches which do not match the date places parameter of the search.

Obviously there are not 1000 caches placed in my area in that time frame.

In actuality use any bogus date in the cache placed dialog and the search results in max amount of caches, with caches not being in the date time frame.

Has anyone been successful at downloading a PQ1K yet?

Was it new or adjusted old one?

I just downloaded a new PQ1K and it came down super fast. Interesting that it is only 853 KB and included 1000 caches. So I am not sure there would be a problem emailing PQ1K's. But I like the download capability too. Now I can access my PQ's from anywhere.

How will PQ1K affect DeLorme's Cache Register? If I run a PQ that returns 1000 caches, is CR going to have access to all 1000 when it pulls the query directly from Groundspeak? The PN-40 has a hard limit of 1000 caches/waypoints. If just one of the 1000 caches in a PQ has child waypoints, CR won't be able to transfer any caches in that PQ to the device.

If all 1000 caches are going to be available to CR when doing a direct connection to Groundspeak, was DeLorme informed that this change was coming? At least the workaround for this one is fairly simple... just set the number of results returned by the PQ to something enough under 1000 to account for child waypoints.

I can't download any of my Pocket Queries manually through the site, but Cache Register can. I tried a 1000 cache PQ with it. I expected it to give me an error that the device is full, but instead it gives me the error "The pocket query being added is older than the current version." The status shows as New and the total caches is 1000. Then I tried a <500 cache PQ from a couple of days ago. CR loads that fine. For fun, I tried to load the 1000 cache PQ again thinking that should definitely get me an error saying the device is full. I get the same error as before.

As someone that travels a fair bit, I had been looking forward to being able to download the caches via email whilst on the road. As a traveller, downloading via email is often the quickest and easiest means of getting new caches.

I can see the download system working fine for caching around home when you've got time and guaranteed internet access, but this isn't always easy when travelling in another country. A direct-connect GSAK is fine at home, but may not work as well when on the road - sometimes you just want to dump the GPX file directly on the GPS. Being able to retrieve the PQs along with other email is still the easiest approach - especially for those of us that have some email scripts set up to automate our workflow :D

So, sorry to other cachers, but I'm probably going to be sticking with twice as many 500 cache PQs so I can still easily receive caches on the road with a simple email download.

Cheers Gav

Bug that has been around awhile - checked to see if this update will fix it. Do a PQ search (anyone) and use February 31 (or 30), as the end date, the search will result in 1000 (or whatever your max amount set) caches in the search.

I did one for caches placed 2-1-2010 to 2-31-10 / 100 mile radius. The results show 1000 caches, click on preview the search and it does show 1000 caches which do not match the date places parameter of the search.

In actuality use any bogus date in the cache placed dialog and the search results in max amount of caches, with caches not being in the date time frame.

We are switching to a calendar control in the PQ creation page redesign, so this will cease to be an issue.

Domo!!!

Strangely, at the Lost and Found site & embedded Google map,

http://www.geocaching.com/lostandfound/

the 10 Year! event I plan to go to

GC23KGQ 10 Years! (Uxbridge, Massachusetts)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...68-7981a6b7657f

does not show up in the map.

I guess there should be much much more of these planned throughout the globe.

Also, the 10 years! events shown in the map DO have the special 10 icon,

but the mentioned event DOESN'T and is still an event icon.

What's happening here?

Love to know, and have a quick fix.

Yet, many thanks for the hard working Lackeys, and Hampsters!

Dr.MORO

the map you seeing is just a sample

and i would like to know when those new icons will show up for all of us

before or after the event? ..by the sounds of ti will be after the event

We are switching to a calendar control in the PQ creation page redesign, so this will cease to be an issue.

Great idea thanks for the reply.

and the PQ download works for me, but returns the file without any extension... have to rename it to .zip in order to open it :D
That's what happened to me but Tequila didn't have any problem?

Browser-specific? I'm Firefox 3.6.3. What are you? (And for those getting .zip, are you using another browser?)

and the PQ download works for me, but returns the file without any extension... have to rename it to .zip in order to open it :D

Browser-specific? I'm Firefox 3.6.3. What are you? (And for those getting .zip, are you using another browser?)

Using 363 and getting the zip extension here!

I use Firefox 3.6.3 version. I got the .zip on my PQ.

It's not out of the question that we would work with GSAK or find some other way to serve PMs like yourself that prefer to automate your PQ consumption. This is a first step.

Looks like I'll have to wait for that then. For now I'll stick with twice as many 500 cache PQs.

firefox 3.5.9 on linux here.

ps: the mime type from the server correctly reports the file as zip file, but the filename still doesn't have the extension. maybe some browser/OS combinations add the .zip extension in that case themselves?

Edited by dfx

When I go to someone's profile page, then to the geocaches tab. When I click on for example, the multi-cache finds, or the unknown finds, I'll receive the search results for all cache types instead of the specific type. When I click on the finds side, I always get all finds not the specific find type. When I click on the hidden side, I get all hidden, not the specific hidden type.

Domo!!!

Strangely, at the Lost and Found site & embedded Google map,

http://www.geocaching.com/lostandfound/

the 10 Year! event I plan to go to

GC23KGQ 10 Years! (Uxbridge, Massachusetts)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...68-7981a6b7657f

does not show up in the map.

I guess there should be much much more of these planned throughout the globe.

Also, the 10 years! events shown in the map DO have the special 10 icon,

but the mentioned event DOESN'T and is still an event icon.

What's happening here?

Love to know, and have a quick fix.

Yet, many thanks for the hard working Lackeys, and Hampsters!

Dr.MORO

Domo again!!!

Thanks for the quick fix, or whatever you Lackeys & Hampsters did.

We have the 10 Years! icon!!! Hurray!!! Way too cool!!!

And, the Lost & Found map?

Just awesome seeing oh so many 10 Years! events!

The Maps seems a bit too crowded... Maybe a bit larger to show?

Anyways, many thanks for the hard working Lackeys, and Hampsters!

Dr.MORO

It's not out of the question that we would work with GSAK or find some other way to serve PMs like yourself that prefer to automate your PQ consumption. This is a first step.

Please don't make it just for GSAK users though - as I'm sure you know, some of us are geeks and have our own custom setups. As was (and still is for <=500 PQs), the waypoints will find their way from the inbox to the GPSr all by themselves without me needing to intervene (assuming I remember to leave it plugged in :D). I can't do that right now for >500 PQs.

Allowing exactly one successful download of each PQ generated without a login and including the PQ's GUID in the email would be a great solution. Although I appreciate it wouldn't be a walk in the park technically (more counting and checking always adds more complexity, I know that), it couldn't be easily abused and would allow those of us with nerdy custom automated GPSr update routines to utilise PQ1K as well :D

Edited by JeremyR

I cannot express enough how excited I am about the new changes. Thank you Jeremy - thank you Lacky Team!

My sentiments exactly.

I just cut my PO library from 20 to 10.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I am using Firefox 3.6.3

Thanks to all the lackeys that brought this project in on time as promised.

wooohooo the new icon for the 10 year events are up, beautiful :D

it did disappear from the map though :D

The icon does not show up on the iPhone app. It shows a blank. Assume there will need to be an update to the app to handle it.

I will open a thread over in the iPhone forum.

Looks like I'll have to wait for that then. For now I'll stick with twice as many 500 cache PQs.

1000 waypoint PQs will go right into GSAK with out any hesitation. Works well.

1000 waypoint PQs will go right into GSAK with out any hesitation. Works well.

Yes, but you have to do the download. What OpinionNate was talking about was working on a way for GSAK to grab it automatically. And I hope it won't be a secret method that only a few software programs will know about.

The 2 10yr events around me GC254AV and GC23KGQ do not show up on the maps even when clicking "view map" from the event page. I understand that they can be found using the Lost and Found link on the front page, but shouldn't they also show up with all the other caches as well?

The website has been back for several hours and even confirmed by one of the staff here. Yet twitter was not updated like was promised. A lot of people were watching twitter waiting for an update.

This leads to my overall issue with Groundspeak. Communication on the geocaching.com website is non-existent. People shouldn't have to dig through forums to find information on reasons for downtimes, updates and new features on the website. There are a lot of people who are not comfortable weeding through forums but should have easy access to this basic and critical information for the site and the sport in general.

Why don't we have a blog.geocaching.com similar to what dropbox does for it's updates? Or maybe a news section where this information can be posted? These other sections could also post information about upcoming major events, CITO's, geocaching in the news and such.

Now the glitch. When I preview the PQ using google maps from the Pq page I get a random cache GC17 in north Oregon and that causes the blue box to become a very large rectangle.

This PQ is centered on my house in Duvall Wa and has 1000 unfound and unowned by me.

Odd

I get GC8E in Australia, center point in Snohomish County WA for a very large square, otherwise the results are good. Similar results when I did one with the center point near Downtown Seattle.

Yes, but you have to do the download. What OpinionNate was talking about was working on a way for GSAK to grab it automatically. And I hope it won't be a secret method that only a few software programs will know about.

I've ran my first 1k PQ. Definitely no way to automate it right now without a TOU violation / screen scraping. Not directed at Avernar who I'm sure knows it already, but at those less tech savvy.

The email notification says:

Your Pocket Query titled (insert PQ name here) has been generated and is now available for download on Geocaching.com.

View and download completed Pocket Queries at http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

There's no direct link in the email for any automated system to fetch the PQ.

I tried copying the URL into another browser. It requires the owner of the PQ to be logged in to download.

Well that was interesting. A new PQ around my house now goes from a radius of 13 miles to a radius of 16 miles. Not as impressive as I was expecting.

13 mile radius circle == 530 sq miles

16 mile radius circle == 800 sq miles

I'd say that's pretty good...

Ref PQ1K - am I the only person that is disappointed about this? I *love* the way that I can have my PQs delivered by email and then a couple of clicks with GSAK and they are all downloaded.

I agree with your disappointment. :D

When I heard the limit was being raised from 500 to 1,000 I was very excited; however, I'm sticking with 500 results for the ability to receive the actual file via e-mail.

Perhaps that was their plan all along? :D

I have a PQ that I just changed from 500 to 1000 (4484325.zip) and it is set to return only caches in New York and Ontario. However, it is returning a cache in Illinois when looking at the results on the map. I'm not sure if it's returning it in the list view or not. I haven't been able to find it.

Ref PQ1K - am I the only person that is disappointed about this? I *love* the way that I can have my PQs delivered by email and then a couple of clicks with GSAK and they are all downloaded.

I agree with your disappointment. :D

When I heard the limit was being raised from 500 to 1,000 I was very excited; however, I'm sticking with 500 results for the ability to receive the actual file via e-mail.

Perhaps that was their plan all along? :D

It's pretty much the same for me. Either right click and Save As from email then import into GSAK or click the link and Save As then import into GSAK. Not sure where the extra steps are coming in.

It's pretty much the same for me. Either right click and Save As from email then import into GSAK or click the link and Save As then import into GSAK. Not sure where the extra steps are coming in.

That's because you haven't automated GSAK as much as you can. (I click one button which copies the e-mails from Gmail, places the attachments in a folder and loads those caches.)