Topographic Station ...

Rich in NEPA

Recently during a vacation trip in Maine I was hunting benchmarks and came across one that is labeled as a Topographic Station.

9552_900.jpg

I can't find it the Geocaching database nor on the NGS site. I also searched the NGS data sheet database for a possible PID using the State and the control point name as stamped on the disk, and the results were negative as well. Is there a significant difference between this type of station mark and the more typical survey marks? Is that why it's not listed? If not, should it be listed as recovered and how does one go about reporting the recovery of a mark that is not in the database? TIA. Cheers ....

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

On the Data sheets that I have from the BLM these were often called isolated benchmarks,these I find are usually the older ones back to 1909,in my area they tied them to the newer system,hence the 1927,1929......1959,60,61.....73,Final adjustment of the Vertical Datum 74, 83,( )88,Geoid/Defl. 99......(most current state GPS 2002,not released yet).....What is funny is I have all this Info,Actually Pre-Civil War,MY Books(Abstracts) on the property to the Louisiana Purchase,Survey from 1906,with the Presidential Patents,Roosevelt,Taft,1909,from the Department of the Interior/BLM,All the Surveys for the Townships,Towns, and the Analysis of the United States Land Surveys,PLSS,or GLO,from then to-2002,and can't find the ways to ty it all back together yet. The benchmark pages are a start to an even bigger project.

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!

Boundsgoer is correct about USGS markers, but this is a USC&GS marker, unless the USGS had some C&GS markers that they used, which is quite possible. Its also possible in view of the date, 1944, that this marker was set but never used. The members of the survey crew may have gone to war and the project put on hold and never resumed.

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

I really think this should be in the NGS database. I tried a couple of things but couldn't find it. You didn't post any coordinates for it, did you try that method on the NGS site? Do you mind posting them here?

9552_1000.jpg

Howdy, RB! The mark is located atop a granite sea cliff which forms Thunder Hole in Acadia Nat'l Park. I tried a radius search on the NGS site around these coordinates: N441914 W0681118 (N44°19.234' W068°11.307') and still no data sheet was returned. I recorded this waypoint right at the mark using a Garmin GPS-map76. I'm not sure what else can be done with it at this time. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by survey tech:

Having seen this view of the point location, it occurs to me that this point may have been deemed unstable or unsafe and never used.

That's certainly a possible explanation, but it's been there for 58 years. Couldn't just about any BM be considered potentially unstable considering the fact that any one of them at any time could be destroyed or covered over due to residential development, highway constuction/improvement, vandalism, etc? I'm new at this so I wondering if there are (published?) standards or criteria that are used for making these determinations. There's not much background information on the NGS site. TIA. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

This one looks particularly unstable as the rock appears to be fractured directly beneath it, and dangerous due to the chance of slipping on the wet rock and falling off the ledge. My guess would be that it was set by a novice crew member and the crew leader subsequently decided that it was too dangerous to use. Check with any older surveyors in the area, they probably know the history of it.