Gawd bless the older generation

Planning an overseas trip, Mum (nearly 70) asked if my GPS would work in New Zealand.

She knows the G stands for "global".

Depending on what she meant by "work," the answer might be "no."

Can you enter the coordinates of a geocache and follow the arrow to it? Sure. Can you find the nearest Starbucks on a map? Probably not, unless you buy some additional software.

Planning an overseas trip, Mum (nearly 70) asked if my GPS would work in New Zealand.

Can you enter the coordinates of a geocache and follow the arrow to it? Sure. Can you find the nearest Starbucks on a map? Probably not, unless you buy some additional software.

What type of wall outlets do they use in over there? Charging it (or its batteries) might be a problem without an adapter.

I think there are too many exceptions to the rule, and there's a lot of older technology that I wish I understood. For example, my grandmother is an expert at using a slide rule, and even owns the one given her by her father who was a physicist and used it in his work. I would love to learn how to use one, but it boggles my mind just to look at it. It's all in perspective...

There have been plenty of young people who have asked similar questions in this forum.

Yep. And not all older people are technologically challenged. My father-in-law is 79 and set up a wireless network and printer in his house for his 3 Mac laptops and a repeater so his signal can reach his garden where he grows and sells daylillies.

My parents are in their mid 70s and my dad has been using a PC since the late 80's. He just bought a new Dell desktop, set it up, transferred all his files to the new machine and reinstalled all his applications. My mom has a Toshiba laptop that the takes nearly everywhere and she set up the wireless network in their home back when setting up a wireless router took more than a few mouse clicks.

I know another guy who is in his 70's who taught himself HTML, Java and other technologies so he could design a website for a non profit organization.

Edited by briansnat

Whatever happened to Kit Fox, by the way? :D

And in response to Castle Mischief's question about New Zealand, they use a different plug, and the electricity is 240V / 50Hz. Most modern electronics designed for travel already adapt to a range of voltages, though physical adapters are still needed. And AA batteries are a worldwide standard (though some call them by rather strange names)

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :D:sad:B)

Would everyone please find a member of the older generation (adopt one, if you need to), and explain some technology to them. Gently. :D

Would everyone please tell the younger generation to be polite to their elders?

Would everyone please find a member of the older generation (adopt one, if you need to), and explain some technology to them. Gently. :D

Ummm.. A member of that older generation built and launched the satellites that that your hand held unit is using, or did you think some 30 something did the research and launched the satellites in the 70s?

joe

Would everyone please find a member of the older generation (adopt one, if you need to), and explain some technology to them. Gently.

But first everyone please find a member of the younger generation and explain to them that immature, rude, arrogant, and disrespectful are not character traits to be proud of. Gently, and use small words. Txt if u nd 2

a. Since GPS receivers work with AMERICAN military satellites, it is not unreasonable to wonder if they work outside the U.S.

OP (and presumably mom) is in Australia though, so mom knows that already.

If mom is 70, OP is likely between 30 to 40. Old enough to know better than to make fun of mom.

Edited by Chrysalides

I understand that there are exceptions, there always are. However I also understand that those exceptions to not make nor change the rule.

And the rule is: In my dierct experience and in the direct experienc of many of my friends and associates, people over the age of approximately 75 years, do not have much of a grasp of modern day technology and many of those could care less.

You're most welcome. :sad::D:D:DB):D

What type of wall outlets do they use in over there? Charging it (or its batteries) might be a problem without an adapter.

It's a two prong plug but they are not parallel.. they form a "V". (and it's 240V). I got mine on line. I didn't have much luck finding in locally without buying it as part of a set of other ones I either will never need or already had. Needed it to charge my camera battery. My navigation system doesn't need batteries. :D

Gosh, I didn't realise Americans were so serious. (and any other continent represented here)

Australia (where I am) and New Zealand have the same electricity plug/voltage system.

I use a GPS for the "blips" more than for the maps, but anyway, Aus/NZ maps/data come bundled together.

I was not disrespectful to my mother at all - Australians know how to laugh at themselves, we don't take ourselves so seriously. We both have a good giggle when I make a silly mistake too.

I don't know what the "G word" is, (global? generation? gently?) or why it is so offensive.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would not be bothered by their amusement of my silly questions. Like I said, Australians can laugh at themselves.

I am well aware that people of all ages can exist anywhere between luddite and geekdom.

I am sorry I said anything. I didn't realise this forum was so serious. I thought I was just telling an amusing story, and hoped others would do the same.

I didn't mean to offend anyone's culture, but really, lighten up, people!

Your Mum's question seems reasonable enough. When you were a child who patiently taught you what you needed to know so you wouldn't accidentally maim yourself? Young people may have all the latest tech-toys but a lot of them would also be stumped in solving a relatively simple task like finding the square root of a number without using a calculator or looking it up in a table. Don't laugh or cry at your Mum's question .... just give her a straight answer and with a touch of humility.

I am sorry I said anything. I didn't realise this forum was so serious. I thought I was just telling an amusing story, and hoped others would do the same.

Never ridicule your mom for an honest question, even in jest.

I'd slap you around some more but the street lights just came on and I have to go home now.

Naw. I vote we slap him around some more. After I e-mail Mom Turtle, and suggest that she reword her will. I'll be that Sis Turtle never teases her Mom about being of 'an older generation.'

Agreed, and Mom Turtle should also make him repay her for all the food he ate as a child and for his room and board!

I don't know what the "G word" is, (global? generation? gently?) or why it is so offensive.

That's just bflentje's joke back at you. The word is "Gawd".

Anyway, you're not laughing at yourself. You're laughing at your mom. And then followed that by laughing at all the senior citizens, and there's quite a few of them here.

I didn't laugh at my Mum. The saying "I didn't know whether to laugh or cry" is one that has been around for donkey's years. It's a saying. It refers to what we are thinking - not saying. Did I actually laugh at anyone? NO. Did I ridicule someone? Did I say anything about anyone that I wouldn't say to their face? NO. So why is everyone ridiculing me?

I was also suggesting we all take on a luddite and gently explain a few things that they do not understand, but want to understand. Gently. Not laughing at them, but kindly and tolerantly. They want to know, so we should help them.

When did I become the baddie here? I was writing with compassion and humour. Why am I being picked on so much?

Hilarious that I can cause such a stir, for something I didn't even say.

I didn't laugh at my Mum. The saying "I didn't know whether to laugh or cry" is one that has been around for donkey's years. It's a saying. It refers to what we are thinking - not saying. Did I actually laugh at anyone? NO. Did I ridicule someone? Did I say anything about anyone that I wouldn't say to their face? NO. So why is everyone ridiculing me?

I was also suggesting we all take on a luddite and gently explain a few things that they do not understand, but want to understand. Gently. Not laughing at them, but kindly and tolerantly. They want to know, so we should help them.

When did I become the baddie here? I was writing with compassion and humour. Why am I being picked on so much?

There, there. Is okay... I think us Commonwealthers just have a different sense of humour. :D

There, there. Is okay... I think us Commonwealthers just have a different sense of humour. :D

No, we all get it. It's just our opportunity to point out that it's hare today goon tomorrow. Meaning that not only will you be that person one day, chances are pretty good you are there already. Just like the rest of us. :D

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :D:sad:B)

I'm 71 and I'll put my technical skills up against the younger generation any time. I repair computers for them every once in awhile.

No, we all get it. It's just our opportunity to point out that it's hare today goon tomorrow. Meaning that not only will you be that person one day, chances are pretty good you are there already. Just like the rest of us. :D

Would you be able to laugh at yourself with that other person, or would you feel disrespected? I know that unless it was actively meant to offend, I'd fall into the former category - Even then, I know that I'm not terribly good with technology and wouldn't be offended by comments to that effect. Furthermore, it has been my experience that Americans tend to be more up tight about 'respect' than Canadians, New Zealanders, Australians, etc. I'm not sure why, and we're certainly uptight in our own way, but do realise that even if he did laugh light-heartedly at his mother (and I'm not saying that he did), it wouldn't be seen as as big of a deal as it would in the States.

i'm sure its all related to the fact that we live in igloos :D

don't take it personal and too serious, if its any comfort reading your original post did make me giggle

but tbh its not just the older generation that is technologically challenged and change averse, i see plenty of younger people that are so totally clueless and oblivious to all the technological advances and i find that to me more astonishing than the older generation not being in the know

Edited by t4e

I just turned 85 a week ago from today and the wife will soon be 83.

Spent 3 and a half years in the Navy in WWII. We went geocaching locally today and picked up 12 new ones so now we have 3,835.

Been doing the wrong things geocaching since August of 2001.

Done everything i ever wanted to do when I was a depression kid in the 1920's. About the only thing that works real well anymore is the mouth. Memory not bad butnot as good as it use to be. As a teacher in a CC I always knew every student's name after thr first two weeks. Most of our friends are either dead or in a nursing home.

The Golden Age isn't that great.

Reverse this scenario. I bet your Mom could read a map or a book. Kids today. They can't live without their phone, video games, text messaging, facebook, twitter, my space, or GPSr. To me that just makes them look kind of loser-ish.

I have an acquaintance who is 20. He gradumicated HS too. He asked to use my GPSr for a road trip across a few states. I told him to use a map instead as I traveled for work weekly in 2000-01 and always used a map. He said "You don't understand. It doesn't work like that anymore." :)

Stupid kids. (I'm 33.). I don't need a mobile phone or texts. I can read. I don't use FB or MS or tweet. I don't need TV or video games - but I do like them. :D:)

My son insisted that he needed to use a computer to do research for a report. I told him the internet isn't always accurate and he should use an encyclopedia. I got the same comment the 20 yo gave me- "Dad, It doesn't work like that anymore."

A couple of months ago I was walking through my daughters school and it seemed like every Mom was on the phone. To myself I said "Geez. Could you live without your phones?" A mom who is quite a number of years older than I heard me and said "I would die. I really would." :ph34r:

Turn the phone off and tell your kids to stop carrying around that darn video game system and watch where they are walking. I hate that in the stores...

I am getting old and crabby I guess. :D I think technology will be part of the downfall of this world.

*And yes, I know I spelled graduated incorrectly. :D

I have an acquaintance who is 20. He gradumicated HS too. He asked to use my GPSr for a road trip across a few states. I told him to use a map instead as I traveled for work weekly in 2000-01 and always used a map. He said "You don't understand. It doesn't work like that anymore." :ph34r:

Stupid kids. (I'm 33.). I don't need a mobile phone or texts. I can read. I don't use FB or MS or tweet. I don't need TV or video games - but I do like them. :):)

I know I will get flamed for this since this sport is GPS based but the newer generation cracks me up with all the car GPS systems out there and it seems most of the people I see using them grew up in this town and should know where they are going already:P And they did a couple years ago! I did this weird thing when I was growing up called paying attention to my surroundings and I knew how to get around town just fine by the time I was able to drive:) Technology becomes a crutch sometimes, I gave directions to a friend one time and he said he would just use the GPS, it was 1 turn was all he had to remember, reminds me of my Dad when he would run numbers all day on a calculator and I would ask him silly questions like what is 10x5 and he would instinctively enter it in the calc, I think if I asked 2+2 at the right time he might use the calculator to find the answer.

I do think the car GPS are cool as heck when you are out of town visiting someplace you have never been or don't frequent!

I just turned 85 a week ago from today and the wife will soon be 83.

Spent 3 and a half years in the Navy in WWII. We went geocaching locally today and picked up 12 new ones so now we have 3,835.

Been doing the wrong things geocaching since August of 2001.

Done everything i ever wanted to do when I was a depression kid in the 1920's. About the only thing that works real well anymore is the mouth. Memory not bad but not as good as it use to be. As a teacher in a CC I always knew every student's name after thr first two weeks. Most of our friends are either dead or in a nursing home.

Wow! I know cachers half your age that think that 12 in one day is a lot!

I must admit, it was difficult to see the humor in your original post, and I like to laugh. Sometimes the subtle meanings of what you say are lost when other folks read them in print. Has nothing to do with anyone's "culture." All we have is the literal interpretation of your words, unless we know you well.

But consider the alternative. A friend died while piloting his plane on the way to a tennis match. He was 70. Everyone said how sad it was that he died so young. On the other hand Dan Bern, who is a lot younger than I has a good song about being too old to die young.

All in all, I am hoping for a golden age where I still know more than my kids about most everything.

If its any consolation... I bet a "senior" would recognize what a fantastic container an ammo can would make, even if they couldn't figure out the GPSr to find it.

Todays kids can program their Iphone to find caches but don't seem to understand a McDonalds cup is NOT a good container.

I would rather cache with the senior! :unsure:

Todays kids can program their Iphone to find caches but don't seem to understand a McDonalds cup is NOT a good container.

I would rather cache with the senior! :unsure:

True that... and the column shifter ("3-on-the-tree") on my '70 Dodge 1/2 ton is a mystery to the I-phone whiz kids as well. ;) BTW us oldies were using ammo cans for tool boxes before Sputnik was launched. I have a 14-yr old niece who was totally blown away when we turned a closet into a darkroom and she developed and printed a roll of 35mm B/W film she had shot for a school project. Fun stuff...

Well, what you actually said, and what I think is causing the stir, is this, from your opening post:

Would everyone please find a member of the older generation (adopt one, if you need to), and explain some technology to them. Gently. :unsure:

You didn't say "luddite". You said "a member of the older generation". You implied that your mother, an aged person, is clueless about technology. By exhorting us to "find a member of the older generation", you implied that members of the older generation are by default ignorant of technology -- because had you meant "find someone who knows nothing about technology", or "find a luddite", that's what you would have said.

I don't mean to jump or pick. But I do encourage you to stand by what you said. Don't try to redefine your opening post when it's still there for everyone to read. It's quite obvious that you were making a joke at old peoples' expense, and also quite obvious that you did not think that there might be older persons who use this forum who might have been offended (or younger persons who are not amused by humor at the expense of the aged). And you apologized, which is exactly what you should have done. : )

:unsure: BTW us oldies were using ammo cans for tool boxes before Sputnik was launched.

Actually, I still have the First Aid Kit that my father kept in the trunk of the car. (His last car was a 62 Caddy.) He bought the ammo can after the end of the Great War. I was thinking of putting it out as a cache, but it has too much sentimental value, (even if the Bandaids are forty years old...)

Crafty Turtle said: "Would everyone please find a member of the older generation (adopt one, if you need to), and explain some technology to them. Gently."

Just curious, can you tell us which generation conceived, designed, and built this technology?

Edited by zulutime