Abbreviation Trouble

Criminal

I had thought of this problem before. There is also the problem of calling all entries in this database benchmarks vs. a specific type that is also called a benchmark. I think we should use some other generic term like "Survey disk" but benchmark is probably to ingrained at this point.

Notice how I managed to get all the way through this message without using the initials BM! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I had thought of this problem before. There is also the problem of calling all entries in this database benchmarks vs. a specific type that is also called a benchmark. I think we should use some other generic term like "Survey disk" but benchmark is probably to ingrained at this point.

Notice how I managed to get all the way through this message without using the initials BM! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Friend: "Watcha doin?

You: "Looking at pictures I took yesterday

Friend: "What kinda pictures?"

You: "I have 15 pictures from the 12 BMs I found over the weekend."

Next thing you know you're being driven away in the short bus. icon_eek.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Friend: "Watcha doin?

You: "Looking at pictures I took yesterday

Friend: "What kinda pictures?"

You: "I have 15 pictures from the 12 BMs I found over the weekend."

Next thing you know you're being driven away in the short bus. icon_eek.gif

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Not that I'm insinuating that this is a silly poll or anything icon_rolleyes.gif, but benchmarks and BMs have the same number of syllables when you speak them aloud. I'm not sure if many folks use BM to describe benchmarks in everyday language.

ICBM makes more sense as an abbreviation in speech. I think in most cases BM is used in context in the forums. Not much room for confusion here.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Not that I'm insinuating that this is a silly poll or anything icon_rolleyes.gif, but benchmarks and BMs have the same number of syllables when you speak them aloud. I'm not sure if many folks use BM to describe benchmarks in everyday language.

ICBM makes more sense as an abbreviation in speech. I think in most cases BM is used in context in the forums. Not much room for confusion here.

Jeremy Irish

The names of each type of Bench Mark are Stamped in the outside ring of letters,Triangulation Station,Reference Mark,Azimuth Mark, ect.ect. on the USGS brass caps, log the proper name of the BM and that should solve the delima. call it like you see it. if it looks like **** and smells like **** then it must be ****, I am learning a few things from hubby.

A Point in the right direction,ASCENSION.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Not that I'm insinuating that this is a silly poll or anything :rolleyes

Jeremy Irish

I don't think that this is anything to worry about. Let the big shots at BP worry about this kind of stuff, they're already trying to say it's for "beyond petroleum". Sorry, it's still gas and will never be petrol. I asked a cashier at the local Amoco what BP stood for. He gave me the definition, to which I replied,"Oh, I thought it meant bowel purge". He'll never forget that, especially when these new bosses give him a hard time. ABC...my wife is a regular church goer. We were driving past a church that had the sign "Adult Bible Classes". I asked her if they got their material from adult book stores? She was not amused. This too, shall pass.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Jeremy Irish

Yeah InterContinental Ballistic Missile is great for everyday speech. Good acronyms are hard to come up with cause they usually mean something else already.

--Ricky Cobb

Maybe there are finding the right BM in the Woods like me when I get to the woods I relax and thats why you should always have hockey tickets you never know where you might find the game. Or maybe just gettin out in the woods scares the **** out of em. just joking now don't tooo serious!!!

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!