I want to hide one

Why yes, i did just read through the ranting about noob cachers thread but I'd still like to.

To mark the coordinates, I pull up "coordinates" and bookmark the current ones. I did this earlier and it said the coordinates were 20 feet away. I'm starting to think my GPS doesnt get great signal, especially near trees. It was a Christmas present, and my mom said it was not a top of the line one. Also, its made for cars and driving, although I use mine when walking around downtown because I can't drive. I once found a cache 200 ft from the point (in trees) and today I near tripped over a cache when I was watching my GPS get 3 ft away (in a clearing)

I decorated my cache by gluing leaves on it to camoflage it. Not very advanced, but it could work, right?

I read through all the guidelines and its something I can work with. One thing it said was to have a theme. What kind of themes are there and what do they mean exactly?

Most handheld GPS units have an average accuracy in the 15 to 25 foot range. Seeing the kind of variations you saw is quite common. Just to check - back away a good 100 feet or so and see if the coordinates you recorded get you back reasonably close to the cache location. Repeat several times.

As for a theme - that certainly is not required and actually not many caches have a theme of any kind.

However - some themes include:

Keychain only cache.

NASCAR cache

Playing card cache

Oregon Trail cache

etc...

Just this past week my gps has become extremely inaccurate in the woods. I even notice it in the car.

You would be surprised what a fresh set of batteries can do to correct that. Not kidding, either.

When I read this comment that a GPS reciever can gain performance by replacing a set of used batteries that are still operating the reciever with a fresh set of batteries I had to make a comment of my own.

I do see the point that a fresh set of batteries would give an improvement to a recievers primary voltage which could offer (could offer, meaning it might be) a gain in sat acquisition times from a cold start, and maybe even a warm start, but this is not related to the accuracy of the reciever directly. The secondary voltages that the reciever works with are most likely very sophisticated to ensure that the operating conditions that the circuits need to interpret the incomming data, and the role that timing plays down to and even beyond the millisecond are regulated by the device and not by the condition of the primary voltage or batteries directly. If it were true that the condition of the batteries were directly related to the performance/accuraccy of the GPS reciever it would not be possible to manage and interpret the data being sent from multiple sources, under extreme timing, with any level of usable accuracy.

As I was not certain of this myself exactly as I am not a radio repair tech, I am only an airframe mechanic that simply installs a GPS reciever or removes a unit to be sent off for repair, I contacted a bench tech for confirmation. I was informed that a handheld reciever that has secondary voltage regulation instability will be repaired or replaced. I directly asked about reciever performance changes with a battery change, and that would be considered to be an indication of a need to test the unit for problems.

Again, I had to comment on this as this can be something that can affect how people interpret their GPS reciever, this can effect how GPS users decide when to replace the batteries. If it is true there will be a lot more batteries being replaced.

Edited by Endorfun