Overlay Map - Explorist 210

I'm using some Explorist 210 units for a team building event that I'm holding using Geocaching as the primary activity.

I'm not terribly familiar with the explorist or Magellan units but know how to make overlay maps for the Garmins.

Is there a way to convert GPX track files to some sort of overlay map for the Explorist? This event will have groups/teams out on some of the park trails (that I have GPX tracks for) and having the trails appear on the GPSr would be very handy in helping the teams navigate the area. All the participants are from 'out of town' and mostly non-hikers so the GPSr would be a handy tool to give them reference of where they are on the trail maps.

I've googled but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for any tips or help you may be able to throw my way.

Jeep,

I was able to do that recently with my Exp-400. I used Magellan's (free download) Vantage Point sofltware. If I recall correctly you have to save the .gpx file to desktop and import it into VP. Once it's there you have to connect the GPS via it's USB data cord and let the VP software recognize it (click "My GPS" button on left side). I saved that .gpx file as a .log file in the Explorist's internal memory (track log follder using an "export" function button on the top of VP's screen).

Note: I chose to save it as a track (.log) file because Explorists limit route files to only 30 points. A track log is way more detailed. You can then just "folow" that track or if it is a short file convert it to a route in the GPS. You can also "reverse" that track and folow the other way.

Jeep,

I was able to do that recently with my Exp-400. I used Magellan's (free download) Vantage Point sofltware. If I recall correctly you have to save the .gpx file to desktop and import it into VP. Once it's there you have to connect the GPS via it's USB data cord and let the VP software recognize it (click "My GPS" button on left side). I saved that .gpx file as a .log file in the Explorist's internal memory (track log follder using an "export" function button on the top of VP's screen).

Note: I chose to save it as a track (.log) file because Explorists limit route files to only 30 points. A track log is way more detailed. You can then just "folow" that track or if it is a short file convert it to a route in the GPS. You can also "reverse" that track and folow the other way.

Thanks for the tip. I've tried that method but while I can see the tracks on the unit, they don't show on the map screen.

Is there a way to force saved tracks to always show on the map screen?

Jeep,

Thanks for the tip. I've tried that method but while I can see the tracks on the unit, they don't show on the map screen.

Is there a way to force saved tracks to always show on the map screen?

If you have them saved in the right format (.log), in the right folder (track), you should be able to "view" the track by pushing Menu>Active Map>View on Map. That works on my 400 and should on your 210.

If you have them saved in the right format (.log), in the right folder (track), you should be able to "view" the track by pushing Menu>Active Map>View on Map. That works on my 400 and should on your 210.

I don't have those menu featurs on the 210. I've got the map setup to show tracks. Showing the tracks would be sufficient.

I can get them to view on map (Menu > Track Log > Select Track Log) but that only shows it until I x (ESC) out of that page. I'll test later today but I think it will show if i navigate that tracklog but my users won't need to do that - I'm just going for screen based mapping reference (a 'you are here' kinda thing).

Wish I still had my 210 but I gave it to my brother. I'd like to see how to do this exactly with that unit instead of my 400. I did successfully load a .gpx trail from Everytrail.com to my 400.

I tested outside yesterday. Loading a GPX trail to the unit's Track Logs folder doesn't work. I loaded it using EasyGPS which converts it to the proper format for the 210, but while I can select the track and can navigate it on the unit it only shows when it's selected as a navigation point.

I'm guessing I need to have it converted to an overlay map somehow and added to the Detail Maps folder to open there.

More Googling in my future I think.

Jeep,

There is a forum for Explorists at Yahoo.com. You'll have to join then find the Explorist "group". Those guys know a heap more about them than I do.

Thanks - I may look at that if time allows. I've honestly go to admit that I was hoping for a streamlined process but understand that both the level of the 210 and the age of the unit limit some things. Just wish I could drop a GPX file on there and tell it to 'always show on map' but from what I can see the OS just doesn't handle data like that.

Thanks again -