EUREKA!!!

Webfoot

I found my first benchmark! Now all I have to do is go back and take a photo of it.

I got interested in benchmarks this past weekend. Had three "Not Founds" on Saturday and was getting quite discouraged. Sunday morning, I was driving my daughter somewhere and happened to glance by the side of the road and noticed a round disk on the curb. Hmmm, I say to myself. That looks like a survey disk/benchmark. I drive past this exact spot twice a week and have never noticed it before.

When I was done for the day, I had forgotten all about it until this evening when I drove past the spot again and thought, wait a minute, I need to go out and check out that benchmark. Haven't done so yet, but I did a zip code search for it and lo and behold, there's supposed to be a benchmark at the exact spot where I saw the disk.

I could get used to finding these things if they just jump out and slap me upside my head. icon_wink.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans & Tupperware containers.

quote:
Originally posted by Kewaneh & Shark:

Some of them do just jump out at you like that. Others are a bit trickier.

Congrats on your first find.

Thanks. I can remember when I went camping stumbling upon some every now and then, so I'm looking forward to going out in the wilderness as well, just to stumble upon one. icon_wink.gif

Another question has come up. The PID number. Is that number located on the benchmark so you can search that way? I'm just curious as to how one would go about searching the database for benchmarks that you just found. I mean, the one that I just located was easy enough since I knew the zip code, but it was still a little hit and miss until I figured out which benchmark it was. The zip code feature is not a geographic coordinate centered upon the post office, but appears to be a geographic coordinate centered within the center of the zip code area. I was thinking along the lines that it might be the post office, but quickly figured out it was when I was looking for the benchmarks based upon the directions from the post office and was too far away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

Another question has come up. The PID number. Is that number located on the benchmark so you can search that way? I'm just curious as to how one would go about searching the database for benchmarks that you just found

The benchmark disk doesn’t have the PID, it has the “Designation”.

There is a search function available from National Geodetic Survey that will let you search for benchmarks by this designation (called “Station Name” on the search page.

NGS benchmark search function

When I find a benchmark out in the wild, I just make a waypoint on my GPSr then when I get home I do search by coordinates on it and find it that way. Cheers!

QUOTE]

I'll have to make sure I have my GPSr with me at all times now. icon_wink.gif

The Boy Scout motto comes to mind. Be Prepared. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

The benchmark disk doesn’t have the PID, it has the “Designation”.

There is a search function available from National Geodetic Survey that will let you search for benchmarks by this designation (called “Station Name” on the search page.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/datasheet.html

Thanks for the information. I've got the site bookmarked now.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Here's the log for my first find.

EV 3072

Had I looked before working with my pictures, I would have kept them bigger than they are. At least I'll know for next time that they don't have to be as small as the geocaching pictures. icon_smile.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif