I lost Geocoin!

bulletproof4

I have looked through 5 pages of topics and cant find what to do if we have lost a geocoin inbetween caches. My son was looking at it last and had put it back in the BumBag and it has fallen out on our travels.I feel sick now. What do I do? Please advise.Thanks. :blink:

Contact the coin owner and explain what happened. Also retrace your steps if possible and check your sons pockets. Also completely empty your caching bag, those things like to hide.

I have looked through 5 pages of topics and cant find what to do if we have lost a geocoin inbetween caches. My son was looking at it last and had put it back in the BumBag and it has fallen out on our travels.I feel sick now. What do I do? Please advise.Thanks. :blink:

If you want to be polite, write a note to the coin owner. You might be able to find the coin on the cache page that you picked it up at. They will be able to mark it as missing. You might want to offer the owner a new trackable to replace the one that is lost.

Most people would prefer a note with an explanation and will be polite back, but be prepared for them not being polite and go on a ramp page. There are some in every group.

Good luck.

There have been several different ways people have handled a situation like this. The two extremes include one individual who once told me that coins get lost, snit happens and I should just deal with it while another was willing to replace the coin. Of the two it's safe to say the latter is the better way but that's a matter of personal opinion.

Ultimately it's between you, your conscience and the coin owner. I'm certain, given that you posted here, you'll find a nice resolution. :blink:

Did it fall out on the trail or the cachemobile? If he was looking at it in the cachemobile, it is almost surely there. If on the trail, email the owner and explain the situation. Personally, I would definitely offer to replace the coin, but that is up to you. Travelers do come with some risk. Everyone who sends them out knows that. If they don’t, they learn pretty quickly.

Most of us just don’t want our travelers to disappear and end up in somebody’s off-grid collection. Most of us would be happy that you contacted us and the loss could be noted in the coin’s page.

Oh, if you offered to replace a coin of mine that you lost, I would tell you not to worry about it and thank you for letting me know.

I also have to emphasize, if your son was looking at it in your vehicle, it is still in your vehicle. If that is the case, you have the coordinates to your vehicle, so go find the coin.

Do not in any way let this slow you down in your new hobby. You are clearly conscientious. We need more folks like you out there moving the bugs and signing the logs.

First, thank you for posting and trying to find out what to do. As said before, we need more like you.

If the coin is not in the vehicle, or in the bag, check near the cache or on the trail. If you still don't find it, don't worry too much. As said before, everyone who sends out a traveler knows the risks (or find out soon). Most owners would appreciate an note letting them know what happened. I personally have many of my coins lost on the trail, in bags, and in the car for months, sometimes years. I have had people offer to replace it, but I always turn them down with a thank you very much. (It's nice to hear that someone wants to right a wrong.) I've also had people just tell me they lost it, SOL. Also post a note on the cache page for the next finder to keep an eye out for it, sometimes it just takes a second (or third) pair of eyes to see it.

I have lost a couple of travelers before, and I always contact the owner to let them know, post a note on the cache page, and offer to replace it.

Good luck, and I hope it shows up for you.

I didn't loose a coin, but I couldn't remember which cache I dropped a TB in one time. I felt really bad and I contacted the owner to let them know. It's what I'd want someone to do. After that I contacted the people who visited the 3 caches it could have been to see if they had spotted it. Thankfully someone let me know where it was before I had to make a couple of long drive. (The 3 caches were not in the same direction and each was at least a 30 minute drive from my house.) If there is any chance it could be in one of the caches you did, I'd start there. Even a slim chance. If it might be on a trail between them I'd see if anyone doing both spotted it. I'd also offer to replace it if it didn't turn up within 2 weeks. Giving someone time to find it.

Of course if it's at all possible I'd make the trip to search for it myself. I hope it turns up.