Display problems with latest firmware on Colorado 300

I have observed rather annoying behavior:

When I zoom out, the unit applies terrain shading multiple times ending often with completely dark image. It can take long time to redraw the screen. I took few screenshots while it was doing it.

14221.png14266.png14291.png14394.png14767.png

The more I zoom out over 0.2mi, the worse it gets.

The map used was Topo 24K West and I also had some BirdsEye imagery loaded on my unit.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Theirs a long thread here discussing this issue. From memory, the problem occurred with v3.5, and was fixed with v3.6 in mid-April. Exactly what version do you have, "latest", isn't very informative.

If you spent few seconds and actually DID read the post and DID look at the images, it is about shading, not about names. I hate when people are jumping into conclusion.

And latest is latest relative to the time of posting which is 3.40.

Same thing here, with 24k topo. Except I do not have birdeye installed on my colorado. It seems to go in a loop when drawing the 3D terrain shading.

At least I am not alone with this. I was thinking about trying hard reset but I think it would be useless. Let's hope Garmin will fix it (and preferably soon).

I wonder if Oregon or Dakota have the same problem (I would think that the map drawing code would be shared between these units).

Have you disabled or removed your base map? I forget when the basemap "takes over" but I thought it would be around the the 12/20 mile zoom level.

Another idea - have you tried decreasing the map detail? I find that with the 24k maps I have to do that in hilly/mountainous areas to keep the contour lines from overwhelming the display.

Setup>Map>Detail>Less (or Least)

GO$Rs

This has been occurring on the Colorado since at least v3.2 firmware.

It's related to maps with transparency - the more of those you have active, the more times it redraws.

For example, if I use Topo Canada, the Ontario Trails Project and Ontario Snowmobile Trails, my shading redraws three times. If I switch off the Snowmobile Trails map, it redraws twice.

This is unrelated to BirdsEye (although I do use BirdsEye), except that it started in the firmware builds that support BirdsEye.

g-o-cashers-- Disabling or enabling the basemap makes no difference. It will keep redrawing the DEM data when it is be read from the 24k topo maps. If I zoomed out far enough to have the unit use the basemap, I have not been able to reproduce the terrain shading loop.

Just as another note- I get a random amount of terrain shades, any where from one(normal) to twelve(which will make the display black) so I don't think it is related to the amount of maps installed on your devise.

Have you disabled or removed your base map? I forget when the basemap "takes over" but I thought it would be around the the 12/20 mile zoom level.

Another idea - have you tried decreasing the map detail? I find that with the 24k maps I have to do that in hilly/mountainous areas to keep the contour lines from overwhelming the display.

Setup>Map>Detail>Less (or Least)

GO$Rs

OK, some sample scenario people can try:

Installed maps: City Navigator, Topo US 2008, Topo 24k West, Topo 2008 South West, Topo 24k National Parks, one custom map, some BirdsEye, Hawaii Topo

Enabled maps:base map and Topo 24k West

At 500ft - shading drawn once

At 800ft - shading drawn twice (i.e. the screen 'darkens' once and then once again)

At 0.2mi - shading drawn twice

At 0.3mi - shading drawn twice

At 0.5mi - shading drawn twice

At 0.8mi - twice

At 1.2mi - twice

At 2mi - 4 times (~8 seconds)

At 3mi - 4-5 times (~8 seconds)

At 5mi - 16 times (~24 seconds)

At 8mi - >20 times (~1 minute)

At 12mi - ??? (~4 minutes)

At 20mi - ??? (gave up waiting after 30 minutes)

The time is time between changing the zoom and labels finally showing up.

Enabled maps:base map and Topo US 2008

Similar bellow 8mi

At 8mi - 16 times

At 12mi - 32 times

At 20mi - ??? (~7 minutes)

At 30mi - ??? (~15 minutes)

With City Navigator, any topo map or base map works fine, i.e. I get terrain shading but no 'darkening' is going on.

g-o-cashers-- Disabling or enabling the basemap makes no difference. It will keep redrawing the DEM data when it is be read from the 24k topo maps. If I zoomed out far enough to have the unit use the basemap, I have not been able to reproduce the terrain shading loop.

Just as another note- I get a random amount of terrain shades, any where from one(normal) to twelve(which will make the display black) so I don't think it is related to the amount of maps installed on your devise.

From my tests, it seems to be related to the zoom factor or perhaps the area displayed (how many 'tiles'). I am guessing the tiles are the key here because the 'darkening' is not linear. I'd think that choosing different 'spots' on map might verify that. If I zoom in and out in spot where four tiles touch, I might get more darkening than zooming in and out in between two tiles or in the center of a single tile.

It is not huge problem since the typical zoom factor is in feet range than in miles range but still annoying, especially because it makes the already hard to read screen without backlight even harder to read.

Any word from Oregon/Dakota users? Is it just Colorado or Oregon/Dakota have the same problem?