i want to be a reveiwer

I believe the volunteers are chosen and offered the position. By whom I don't know, but I seem to see that they have a lot of caching under their belts. I do not know exactly what the job entails, but it is a lot more than just publishing every cache that gets submitted I'm sure!

Not to shoot a hole in your balloon, but it is my understanding that you need to hide yourself in the bush for an extended period of time, and wait until 139.6 other cachers have found you before applying for that position, and that is done as the fourth stage of a three stage multi!

Only then are you allowed to use up all of your free time checking an endless stream of submissions for errors, misplacements, guidelines violations and legal ramifications for each cache. Don't forget, the benefit of all the hounds chasing you to get it done yesterday at the latest.

Only then, will you qualify for the six-figure volunteer paycheck and bennies. :rolleyes::ph34r:

In all seriousness, when you have been caching long enough, done well enough to stand out in the crowd, I believe that you are approached. I hear those approaching you wear black suits.

In all seriousness, when you have been caching long enough, done well enough to stand out in the crowd, I believe that you are approached. I hear those approaching you wear black suits. . .
. . . and bringing you a nice white jacket with extra long arms that have buckles at the ends. Edited by Too Tall John
In all seriousness, when you have been caching long enough, done well enough to stand out in the crowd, I believe that you are approached. I hear those approaching you wear black suits. . .
. . . and bringing you a nice white jacket with extra long arms that have buckles at the ends.

Thanks for complimenting my fashion sense. Nearly seven years ago, I was chosen because I was stylish.

It's funny that I get away with calling it a "lab coat," don't ya think?

. . . and bringing you a nice white jacket with extra long arms that have buckles at the ends.

Thanks for complimenting my fashion sense. Nearly seven years ago, I was chosen because I was stylish.

To heck with all these newbs asking to become reviewers. I think I'm finally ready. Forget about all the mean things I've said about the Frog. Forget about that warning I got from Motorcycle Mama last week. Forget about the fact I attended a "Burning Micro" event. I am so ready. What do you think there, Mr. Labcoat guy?

How do I become a reveiwer? and can I reveiw all new caches?

You need to contact a guy named Vinnie Pinto in Virginia who is in charge of hiring all the reviewers. After sending him the $8500.00 application fee a few years ago, I was awarded the reviewer position of all of the tiny islands of Elbonia. The islands are so tiny they don't show up on any Google maps, but as soon as the updated software becomes available I will be able to publish caches (and with a reduced proximity - from 528 feet to 5.28 feet, which is pretty cool) I was told that patience is the key.

It is a long, tedious process, but worth it. :blink:

You need to contact a guy named Vinnie Pinto in Virginia who is in charge of hiring all the reviewers. After sending him the $8500.00 application fee a few years ago, I was awarded the reviewer position of all of the tiny islands of Elbonia. The islands are so tiny they don't show up on any Google maps, but as soon as the updated software becomes available I will be able to publish caches (and with a reduced proximity - from 528 feet to 5.28 feet, which is pretty cool) I was told that patience is the key.

Vinnie Pinto had to, ah, go away, so send your application fee to me. I will take good care of it you.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Whats even funnier is that you have learned to type with your arms strapped. Straw in your mouth, or some other trick?? :blink:

Whats even funnier is that you have learned to type with your arms strapped. Straw in your mouth, or some other trick?? :blink:

One may not become a reviewer without demonstrating that they have mastered the art of typing with their toes. It's all in the reviewer manual... sheesh, some people just don't read! :)

Does Vinnie have pointy hair?

Whats even funnier is that you have learned to type with your arms strapped. Straw in your mouth, or some other trick?? :)

One may not become a reviewer without demonstrating that they have mastered the art of typing with their toes. It's all in the reviewer manual... sheesh, some people just don't read! :D

Hmphhh... you forget the "Aluminum" membership does not grant access to the super duper secret documents that the "Platinum" membership allows you to read. :D elitist!!! :blink:

Not to shoot a hole in your balloon, but it is my understanding that you need to hide yourself in the bush for an extended period of time, and wait until 139.6 other cachers have found you before applying for that position, and that is done as the fourth stage of a three stage multi!

Only then are you allowed to use up all of your free time checking an endless stream of submissions for errors, misplacements, guidelines violations and legal ramifications for each cache. Don't forget, the benefit of all the hounds chasing you to get it done yesterday at the latest.

Only then, will you qualify for the six-figure volunteer paycheck and bennies. :blink::)

In all seriousness, when you have been caching long enough, done well enough to stand out in the crowd, I believe that you are approached. I hear those approaching you wear black suits.

you forgot to mention Platinum membership and the application fee

Are all caches in Elbonia at least a 3.5 terrain rating? Or are they a 5 due to the need for protection from mud weasels?

On further thought, though, it sounds like a pretty easy reviewer job: "Nope, the cache will sink into the mud, making it appear as if it were buried, and we can't have people thinking a cache was buried, so submission is denied."

wimseyguy-"One must be able to convert meters to smoots without using any electric calculating devices."
The very fact that you'd know what a smoot is probably disqualifies you. :blink:

O goody, does this mean I can stop trying to be a jerk and just say 1 smoot = 96,479.392 twips? 1.7 spats?

Iron, shackle, nail and stadium are also measurements?

Great ways to obfuscate distances for letterboxes.

No one in their right mind WANTS to be a reviewer. :blink:

That is very true. But I heard potential candidates are secretly fed Chemical-X which induces and extreme desire to become a reviewer. I make sure I buy my food stuffs from random stores at random times to avoid any possibility that the frog is screwing with my mind.

Vater_Araignee-"O goody, does this mean I can stop trying to be a jerk and just say 1 smoot = 96,479.392 twips? 1.7 spats?"
One of my heroes, Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, had an 11.8" piece of copper wire hanging on her wall to represent one of her favorite measurements.
Vater_Araignee-"O goody, does this mean I can stop trying to be a jerk and just say 1 smoot = 96,479.392 twips? 1.7 spats?"
One of my heroes, Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, had an 11.8" piece of copper wire hanging on her wall to represent one of her favorite measurements.

Yup, she called them nanoseconds and passed out many of them. My Dad had one.

No one in their right mind WANTS to be a reviewer. :)

We spend lots of time and effort going after containers hidden all over the place, just so we can leave some ink stains on a piece of paper. We argue endlessly about some arcane aspects of the game here in the forums. What makes you think any of us is in our right mind? :) <- (we need a laughing manically emoticon)

Are all caches in Elbonia at least a 3.5 terrain rating? Or are they a 5 due to the need for protection from mud weasels?

On further thought, though, it sounds like a pretty easy reviewer job: "Nope, the cache will sink into the mud, making it appear as if it were buried, and we can't have people thinking a cache was buried, so submission is denied."

Contrary to the position of psuedo-documentariest Scott Adams, there really is not any mud on Elbonia. The lakes and rivers are very rich in organic minerals which makes them suitable for crop growing. On land, the soil is very rich in the mineral dihydrogen monoxide which is another added bonus.

Given my penchant for screwing up on my own cache submissions and the angst I must cause my local reviewers - I have to conclude that this is a thankless job best left to those who can somehow find humour in reviewing said mistakes.

I hear the benefits are pretty good though. Let's see, they include... nope, drawing a blank there.

Given my penchant for screwing up on my own cache submissions and the angst I must cause my local reviewers - I have to conclude that this is a thankless job best left to those who can somehow find humour in reviewing said mistakes.

I hear the benefits are pretty good though. Let's see, they include... nope, drawing a blank there.

Well, you get toe-typing keyboards...

If I were new to Geocaching and I asked a simple, albeit uninformed question, I would be really turned off by the miserable way that some of you have greeted this individual. Very rude folks.

This question comes up just about *weekly*. Search would find the answers. The knowledge base would find the answers. And yes Geocaching Topics forum is more snarky than the getting started forum.

If I were new to Geocaching and I asked a simple, albeit uninformed question, I would be really turned off by the miserable way that some of you have greeted this individual. Very rude folks.

I can't find one rude comment in here. The fact is that reviewers take a lot of abuse.

The comments about needing to be in a mental institution are jokes about how crazy you need to be in order to even want to be a reviewer.

These are not rude comments. These are light-hearted jabs at the reviewers.

This had actually been quite a pleasant thread.

I can't find one rude comment in here. The fact is that reviewers take a lot of abuse.

The comments about needing to be in a mental institution are jokes about how crazy you need to be in order to even want to be a reviewer.

I must wholeheartedly agree with GeoBain. The answer(s) to the OP are early in the postings, placed in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

True, one would have to sort through the ribbings to see the answer, but it is there. At least two moderators responded and continued the thread.

Sorry, but I don't see any rudeness... well, maybe a little directed towards our all-giving reviewers.

I must wholeheartedly agree with GeoBain. The answer(s) to the OP are early in the postings, placed in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

True, one would have to sort through the ribbings to see the answer, but it is there. At least two moderators responded and continued the thread.

Sorry, but I don't see any rudeness... well, maybe a little directed towards our all-giving reviewers.

What they said.

You make yourself known through your work in your local and regional geocaching groups and events. Show a consistent track record for placing good hides and a thorough understanding of the guidelines. Find a lot of geocaches, preferably over a wide range. Demonstrate that you understand land manager issues by working with them through your local association. Demonstrate good communication skills.

When a need arises in your area for a reviewer, you may be asked. Understand that your chance of being asked will likely be low, however. There are just way more cachers than there are reviewers.

If you do become a reviewer, it is my understanding that you do not review all new caches. You get a queue based on the area you are assigned.

As a non-reviewer, I may be giving you incorrect information. To be sure, you may want to contact your local reviewer directly.

*** This post was prepared is offered with the best of intent. If the information found within is incorrect or the tone is interpreted as anything other than positive, please accept my apologies ahead of time.

I just had Producers music run through my head. Maybe it's because I'm seriously tired, but I now have a full-out dance sequence playing in my mind.

'I want to be a reviewer! Review new caches every day.

I want to be a reviewer, for more patience I will pray.

I want to be a reviewer, even though there's lots to do!

I want to be a reviewer, despite all it'll put me through!'

Or maybe even earlier in the song....

"More micros.

More micros.

Whhhhyyyyyy more micros?

More micros?

More micros!

Why are there so many many many new micros?"

Sorry...[/end random moment of randomness.]