help: gps is always 100 off never on target.

I having trouble with my etrex legend HCX Garmin, lately when looking for geocaches I put them in by hand. But lately when geocaching I am like 100 feet off from where I should be. I was out doing a search today in a parking lot. No trees not large buildings around but It wouldn't take me near to where I thought the cache was. It was going the opposite direction. This has happened to me now for three geocaches. I am off about 100 to 95 feet what am I doing wrong? When I first got this a year ago I had great finds with it. Now its the last few no finds. Very frustrating.

Double check your map datums in the setup (system menu I think). Not sure if that could be it for such a small distance but worth checking. All coords on the Geocaching site are WGS84 datum.

I've used the eTrex H (and also have an older eTrex Legend) and I've rarely ran into inaccuracy like that - and when I did it was consistent with other finders logs. And even then I can only think of a few caches that were off more than 30 or 40 feet.

Double check your map datums in the setup (system menu I think). Not sure if that could be it for such a small distance but worth checking. All coords on the Geocaching site are WGS84 datum.

I've used the eTrex H (and also have an older eTrex Legend) and I've rarely ran into inaccuracy like that - and when I did it was consistent with other finders logs. And even then I can only think of a few caches that were off more than 30 or 40 feet.

Hi I'll check that thanks, as for switching from on road to off road I am not to sure. I had great success at first and gone back to a couple of those caches and now I am off about 100 ft up to 75 ft if I am lucky. So I wondered If i had switched something and now I don't know what I switched of. I didn't cache all winter and started doing quick park and cache ones but with no luck and they should have been easy ones. Thanks...

Make sure your unit is set for wgs84 for the datum and decimal minutes - hddd mm.mmm - as the coordinate format.

check,

check

should the third set up be metric, yards, or statute???

elevation; feet/min

depth; feet

I don't know what the third set up should be at. thanks

should the third set up be metric, yards, or statute???

elevation; feet/min

depth; feet

I don't know what the third set up should be at. thanks

whatever you're more familiar with. it doesn't affect the accuracy of the GPS, it just affects in what units it will talk to you.

How do you navigate to a cache? Is it via the map screen? Do you select caches via the map screen?

On those units - it is all too easy to accidently "move" waypoints using subtle push of the clickstick.

I often use the compass screen when I am close to the location. I haven't thought about that I thought that once you put in the coordinates It stays put. I will have try that and plug in the coords when I get at the location again see if that works. I knew where I was supposed to be at the last cache I tried but my gps wasn't leading me there at all. but I will try it again very soon thanks.

I often use the compass screen when I am close to the location. I haven't thought about that I thought that once you put in the coordinates It stays put. I will have try that and plug in the coords when I get at the location again see if that works. I knew where I was supposed to be at the last cache I tried but my gps wasn't leading me there at all. but I will try it again very soon thanks.

I much prefer the map view when getting close to a cache, as it shows your trail so you can see where you have come from and relate that to where the cache is. If you stand still or keep loosing some satellites (maybe due to trees or buildings blocking them from view) you will find that the compass pointer may keep swinging around. At least with the trail you can see your approach in to the cache site and work out which way to go.