Do kids like McToys?

NanCycle

I am very familiar with the opinion of most adult cachers, so I'm asking this of those who cache with kids.

I get quite a few of the toys from the kids' meals at Arby's and have been putting most of them in caches, but I'm wondering if they're something that kids even like at all.

I seldom trade anything at caches unless it's taking wet, moldy tracts & coupons and leaving toys; I often just add a few toys to a cache that is pretty empty.

(Though on a recent expedition I seemed to be following someone who was leaving polished stones and I did take some of those.)

What do kids like to find in caches? And what don't they like?

Nancy

I am very familiar with the opinion of most adult cachers, so I'm asking this of those who cache with kids.

I get quite a few of the toys from the kids' meals at Arby's and have been putting most of them in caches, but I'm wondering if they're something that kids even like at all.

I seldom trade anything at caches unless it's taking wet, moldy tracts & coupons and leaving toys; I often just add a few toys to a cache that is pretty empty.

(Though on a recent expedition I seemed to be following someone who was leaving polished stones and I did take some of those.)

What do kids like to find in caches? And what don't they like?

Nancy

Well, my kids have a bunch of McToys acquired from happy meals and I can tell you that you can have them once you pry them from their cold dead hands... So yeah.. they like them. I'm still green as far as caching goes, I go out Thursday for the first time with a neighbor who has actually done some caching already. I'd like to get my kids involved with the game but I'm not sure how they will like it. My neighbor says he's tried with his kids but they lose interest real quick. As long as there are neat things to find I think my kids will like it, but you never know until you try. We'll have to see. I get my eXplorist GC tomorrow that's also coming with a geocoin that Magellan is giving away as a promo this week. I might use the coin as a tracker for our caching, but we'll have to see. So in the end, yes, I think kids like the McToys as long as they are in good shape. :rolleyes:

My son, who's now 13, loves caching as much as I do, but we dont really care for McToys, especially the cloth type (the latest we found was a cloth tator-tot from Sonic)! They can become wet and nasty, making everything else in the cache nasty!

We enjoy finding things like compasses, flashlights, calculators, etc., "guy" things I guess! And Im not talking about expensive things either! You can get these kinds of things at any Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc, for just a dollar or so!

What kid DONT like a new flashlight? And especially one that will clip on the bill of a hat! (yes, I found one at the Dollar Tree, for, you guessed it, A DOLLAR!)

We don't normall take anything from the cache, but usually put something in (flashlights, etc) when we see a cache thats been "geotrashed"!

Im sure kids under the ages of 10 probably like these toys, but for the older kids, they enjoy things other than McToys!

Just my .02!

Some people like them others do not.I leave it up to the kids.I have been rather suprised at what my kids have traded for.I feel in many caches they traded something nice for junk "my opinion",but if it makes them happy,I am happy. I guess one kids junk is another kids treasure.The only thing that I dislike are broken toys. If you would'nt give it to your kids,dont leave it for mine.

Edited by chachi44089

My kids don't like them, but they rarely want any of the swag anyway. They like poking through to see what's there but barely ever trade.

Once there was a bag of shark teeth. My son really liked that but didn't have anything to trade so he left it. It was picked up by the next little boy to find the cache. We can say that shark teeth is a winner with kids!

My littlest one likes finding cameras. At four years old, he knows you take a picture and put it back.

The only time my daughter traded swag was for a Hello Kitty keychain... and that was a couple years ago. When we found a Hello Kitty themed cache last year, she just wanted to sign the logbook.

Outside of caching, they appreciate the meal toys that come from Wendy's the most. They were giving out MadLibs for a while and then little travel-size games. There are better-made versions of these games in stores, obviously, but my kids enjoy them more than the plastic toys given by McDonald's or Burger King for movies and show that they enjoy watching.

Maybe my kids aren't the usual. I don't know.

In one of my cache hides I established a separate bag for the cheap toy swag. I figured this would make it easier for parents and non-parents to handle any swag trading... and provides even/up trading at both levels. It's a large container so there was room to fuss around like that. I haven't checked to see if the organization has kept up. :rolleyes:

The McDonalds Happy Meal Toy program is one of the most successful PR and advertising campaigns in history because kids want the toys. Almost every major drive-thru food chain had to follow suit to stay competitive...only to discover the frustration of having their Arby's or Hardees toys generically know as 'McToys'!

That kids like McToys is without question. :rolleyes:

The McDonalds Happy Meal Toy program is one of the most successful PR and advertising campaigns in history because kids want the toys.

While it might not have been the most profitable or the most lasting of products. I think selling pet rocks was the most successful PR and advertising campaigns in history.

The McDonalds Happy Meal Toy program is one of the most successful PR and advertising campaigns in history because kids want the toys. Almost every major drive-thru food chain had to follow suit to stay competitive...only to discover the frustration of having their Arby's or Hardees toys generically know as 'McToys'!

That kids like McToys is without question. :rolleyes:

Except for Chik-fil-A... because under no circumstance can a BOOK ever be called a McToy.

But, I'll tell ya, my kids still have the books and others have been recycled into school projects, scrapbooking and crafts. Try that with a plastic Spongebob Squarepants in a cowboy hat!

The McDonalds Happy Meal Toy program is one of the most successful PR and advertising campaigns in history because kids want the toys.

While it might not have been the most profitable or the most lasting of products. I think selling pet rocks was the most successful PR and advertising campaigns in history.

Gary Dahl struck it rich with his pet rock fad and sold ~5 million of them, mostly in the first six months, and was over within two years, reduced to making his living on the inspirational speaker circuit.

Several billions of Happy Meal Toys have been sold over 30 years and are still going strong worldwide.

I'm not sure how you can compare the two! :rolleyes:

Gary Dahl struck it rich with his pet rock fad and sold ~5 million of them, mostly in the first six months, and was over within two years, reduced to making his living on the inspirational speaker circuit.

Several billions of Happy Meal Toys have been sold over 30 years and are still going strong worldwide.

I'm not sure how you can compare the two! :rolleyes:

I make the greenest geek toy on the block.

Any one want a USB Pet Rock? Just plug it in and forget it. Did I mention it is green and it doesn't consume power either!

That kids like McToys is without question. :blink:

heard they want the mctoys taken out of the happy meal because of the unhealthy choices parents are making for their kids. so broken mctoys may be a thing of the past.

This may soon be a moot question.

Scientists inscribe entire Bible on head of a pin???

I hate MSNBC lonks - they lead to different stories quite often.

i hate their lonks too. in fact, i hate all lonks. what can i say, i'm a lonk hater. :blink:

It's appropriate that MSNBC should have lonks, since they are always trying to pull the wool over our eyes!

Lonk.jpg

Wow! Look at the size of the lonks on that guy!

I hate MSNBC lonks - they lead to different stories quite often.

i hate their lonks too. in fact, i hate all lonks. what can i say, i'm a lonk hater. :)

It's appropriate that MSNBC should have lonks, since they are always trying to pull the wool over our eyes!

Lonk.jpg

Wow! Look at the size of the lonks on that guy!

hehehehe..lonks...my new word for the day.. :blink: Would more than one "set" be considered Lonkers?..lol

Edited by chachi44089

Not to spoil the fun, but to get back on topic, my 5 year old absolutely loves finding McToys, will always trade for them, and they make him happy, at least for the car ride home. Then they sit in a pile in the backseat of my car until I throw them away.

I think of McToys, kind of like McDonalds in general... instant gratification that you can instantly forget about.

I know someone who collects McToys in boxes because she says that they are collector's items. Is this true?

Absolutely. There is a thriving collectors market, just Google "ebay happy meal" for an intro to the mega-bux world of restaurant toy trading.

Wow! How interesting! I had no idea. I knew about Starbucks gift cards, but had no idea about McDonald's toys.

I know someone who collects McToys in boxes because she says that they are collector's items. Is this true?

Absolutely. There is a thriving collectors market, just Google "ebay happy meal" for an intro to the mega-bux world of restaurant toy trading.

Wow! How interesting! I had no idea. I knew about Starbucks gift cards, but had no idea about McDonald's toys.

I think it was McDonalds that years ago were giving away mini beany babies in happy meals.People went nuts trying to get them "a different one each month or so". My mom and sister were buying a dozen happy meals at a time to try and get the whole collection. People were trading and selling them for some big bucks. Now they are prolly worthless. :) ..I sure ate a lot of happy meals back then..And I was like 20 years old :)

I think it was McDonalds that years ago were giving away mini beany babies in happy meals.People went nuts trying to get them "a different one each month or so". My mom and sister were buying a dozen happy meals at a time to try and get the whole collection. People were trading and selling them for some big bucks. Now they are prolly worthless. :) ..I sure ate a lot of happy meals back then..And I was like 20 years old :)

Actually a complete set of Ty Beanie Baby Happy Meal Toys is worth several hundred dollars. :)

I think it was McDonalds that years ago were giving away mini beany babies in happy meals.People went nuts trying to get them "a different one each month or so". My mom and sister were buying a dozen happy meals at a time to try and get the whole collection. People were trading and selling them for some big bucks. Now they are prolly worthless. :( ..I sure ate a lot of happy meals back then..And I was like 20 years old :)

Actually a complete set of Ty Beanie Baby Happy Meal Toys is worth several hundred dollars. :)

Wow..as I head to the attic :)

I think it was McDonalds that years ago were giving away mini beany babies in happy meals.People went nuts trying to get them "a different one each month or so". My mom and sister were buying a dozen happy meals at a time to try and get the whole collection. People were trading and selling them for some big bucks. Now they are prolly worthless. :( ..I sure ate a lot of happy meals back then..And I was like 20 years old :)

Wow..as I head to the attic :)

Yes! as I return from the attic..

We made a time capsule for my daughter from 1997..There are 12, all in unopened wrappers..Let the bidding begin!

Just kidding..I forgot all about these. Better put them back before my daughter sees them..We will give her this capsule when she has a child of her own.."pray". :o

My son just likes taking something from the cache and picking something to put in. Often the Mctoys or whatever get taken from one cache and placed in another, kind of like unofficial travelers. It's really finding the cache and finding out what's inside that's fun for him, no matter what that turns out to be.

Oops! Posted the wrong link. I had meant to post a link to a story about Santa Clara county banning happy meal toys. I had this story opened because I was going to post a link to it from the thread on religious material where people had suggested that micro caches don't have religious literature in them, but decided not to. I will say that the forums were giving me all sorts of problems at the time.

Sorry the error led to that discussion about lonks. :D

Edited by tozainamboku