Limited Ban on McToys in Santa Clara, CA

Does this signal the beginning of the end for some geocache swag?

Santa Clara County bans toy distribution with high fat, sugar content childrens meals

Only in unincorporated parts of the county, but still. Is it a start?

I mention this because there's been some ire voiced here on McToys as swag. I don't know about that, but my desk would look rather barren without them. :rolleyes:

McToys should be in every cache.

Hey, you don't hear me complaining about them. I have an Astroboy, which launches a projectile that could take out an eye, that stuff is gold!

I know. No ire here. Another cacher that I know sometimes buys kids meals just for the toy so that he can leave them in caches. How cool is that?! :rolleyes:

Does this signal the beginning of the end for some geocache swag?

Santa Clara County bans toy distribution with high fat, sugar content childrens meals

Only in unincorporated parts of the county, but still. Is it a start?

I mention this because there's been some ire voiced here on McToys as swag. I don't know about that, but my desk would look rather barren without them. :rolleyes:

"Dad, let's stop at McD's!"

"You can have a burger, fries, and a pop but no toy. Do you still want to stop?"

"Ah ya"

Do me a favor and have this moved over to OT. I have a few more things to say.

Edit: I just asked my youngest.

James, if you couldn't get a toy with your Happy Meal would you still want to go to Mcds?

Yes.

Why?

Because of the food.

There you have it folks.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'll stop at BK when I'm in a rush, but not often because the food usually makes me feel regretful later. I get th toys to use for cache swag, but more often than not its so cool I can't part with the darn thing. Got the coolest Silver Surfer a month ago.

I'll probably desire having these things for a while, then one day they will go into my backpack and stock an ammo can somewhere. Make way for the new crop.

It's sad that there are kids growing up thinking that McDonalds is what a hamburger is supposed to taste like.
What is even sadder is that they don't even know what a McDonalds hamburger and fries use to taste like.
What exactly does a McD's burger & fries taste like nowadays?

I just can't place the flavor, but it isn't meat and potatoes.

McDonald's may not make a very good burger, but they make the best darned Big Mac on the planet.

I had a Big Mac, fries and coke every day of my life when I was 15. And got change back from a dollar, so I'm obviously terribly old.

They taste the same to me now, and I'm buying them in England these days.

It's sad that there are kids growing up thinking that McDonalds is what a hamburger is supposed to taste like.

What is even sadder is that they don't even know what a McDonalds hamburger and fries use to taste like.

Ah the days of fried foods fried in beef tallow.

this nontransfats crap they fry in now leaves the food tasteless!

McDonald's may not make a very good burger, but they make the best darned Big Mac on the planet.

I had a Big Mac, fries and coke every day of my life when I was 15. And got change back from a dollar, so I'm obviously terribly old.

They taste the same to me now, and I'm buying them in England these days.

do you remember back when the big mac was actually big?

I can eat 5 and still be hungy!

More regulation. That's what this country needs!

Yep. We need saving from ourselves. :blink:

Option one- continue to let people live like they want and drive up the cost of health insurance. Hey, it's America land of "if I want to treat my body like a toxic waste dump you can't stop me."

Option two- stop giving people that are electing to not make the effort to live healthy health insurance.

Option three- Make option one look less appealing.

Oh noes, the guberment took away our happy meal toys. How will the children enjoy their meal now? :)

EDIT: Something something caching and swag.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Healthy people on average cost lots more money -- they live long enough to get the REALLY expensive diseases like Alzheimer's.

Best thing you can do from a health cost perspective is die of a massive coronary right at the end of your productive years.

That was my retirement plan, but I seem to be getting unaccountably healthier in my old age. Darn you, geocaching!

Does that mean you can have the toy if your order the apple dippers? :blink:

Actually you can buy just the toy for .99 and never have to order anything else.

Taking the food out of the picture, since it was never on-topic anyway, the toys make great swag at a decent price.

In fact you can use Happy Meal Toys and other toys like them for swag without ever visiting McDonalds - buy one or a box full online at eBay and many other sites! http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mcdonalds+happy+meal

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Healthy people on average cost lots more money -- they live long enough to get the REALLY expensive diseases like Alzheimer's.

Best thing you can do from a health cost perspective is die of a massive coronary right at the end of your productive years.

That was my retirement plan, but I seem to be getting unaccountably healthier in my old age. Darn you, geocaching!

First, let me say that there are few things that please me more than seeing you back in the forums.

Second, I don't believe that you are correct. An obese person may die thirty years sooner than a healthy person, but those years that he lived were likely to be much more draining on the system than the final years of a healthy person. As a bonus, the healthy person paid into the system for many more years before his health degraded to the point where he was a drain on the system.

Edited by sbell111

Second, I don't believe that you are correct. An obese person may die thirty years sooner than a healthy person, but those years that he lived were likely to be much more draining on the system that the final years of a healthy person. As a bonus, the healthy person paid into the system for many more years before his health degraded to the point where he was a drain on the system.

I agree with you. I can't speak for every "obese" person, but when I weighed 500 pounds, I spent so much more money on my healthcare, and used up way more resources than I do now after losing over 250 pounds. Things like when I had to go to the hospital a few times; they needed more people than usual to carry me, I had to have a special bed, gown, stretcher, blood pressure cuff, special diet, etc etc.

Now this is a pretty extreme case, but I do think that obese people use up more resources, whether they would like to admit it or not.

I want to be clear though: We always have choice. I don't think that placing a ban on McToys is really going to solve anything. People will still eat fast food; it is their choice to do so, and that's okay with me.

You mean it isn't? I've had hamburgers from sources outside of McDonalds and they all taste the same.

You're not chewing it right.

I remember..They were great. You could actually see the burgers protruding from under the bun,and they were MUCH bigger. Now the burger is barely a quarter inch thick and much smaller than the bun.

And no more Mctoys as a way to help childrens health? Not sure I have ever seen a line of tricycles at the drive-thru. :blink:

Option one- continue to let people live like they want and drive up the cost of health insurance. Hey, it's America land of "if I want to treat my body like a toxic waste dump you can't stop me."

Option two- stop giving people that are electing to not make the effort to live healthy health insurance.

Oh noes, the guberment took away our happy meal toys. How will the children enjoy their meal now? :)

Oh my! You have convinced me! we should intrude as much as possible on businesses and citzens private lives if it is in the interest of the majority. So shut down you computer right away as the electricity you are using is contributing to global warming. The good of the many is out weights the needs of the few right?

You mean it isn't? I've had hamburgers from sources outside of McDonalds and they all taste the same.
I remember..They were great. You could actually see the burgers protruding from under the bun,and they were MUCH bigger. Now the burger is barely a quarter inch thick and much smaller than the bun.

And no more Mctoys as a way to help childrens health? Not sure I have ever seen a line of tricycles at the drive-thru. :blink:

I suspect that most parents will agree that a young child has an amazing amount of pull when deciding where to eat.

The lawmakers are merely wanting to make teh rewards for eating a happy meal a little less direct for children. They are trying to take away the connection between eating something bad and being rewarded with a toy.

Will this make a long-term difference in those children's lives? Who knows, but it might be worthwhile to see.

(I should go on record at this point with the fact that I really like McDonald's cheeseburgers, fries, and (usually) McToys.)

Oh my! You have convinced me! we should intrude as much as possible on businesses and citzens private lives if it is in the interest of the majority. So shut down you computer right away as the electricity you are using is contributing to global warming. The good of the many is out weights the needs of the few right?
I get that you're trying to make it sound outlandish, but of course the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, except in very specific situations.

A person's individual 'rights' have always been limited when their actions effect others. This is nothing new.

Edited by sbell111

Second, I don't believe that you are correct. An obese person may die thirty years sooner than a healthy person, but those years that he lived were likely to be much more draining on the system that the final years of a healthy person. As a bonus, the healthy person paid into the system for many more years before his health degraded to the point where he was a drain on the system.

I agree with you. I can't speak for every "obese" person, but when I weighed 500 pounds, I spent so much more money on my healthcare, and used up way more resources than I do now after losing over 250 pounds. Things like when I had to go to the hospital a few times; they needed more people than usual to carry me, I had to have a special bed, gown, stretcher, blood pressure cuff, special diet, etc etc.

Now this is a pretty extreme case, but I do think that obese people use up more resources, whether they would like to admit it or not.

I want to be clear though: We always have choice. I don't think that placing a ban on McToys is really going to solve anything. People will still eat fast food; it is their choice to do so, and that's okay with me.

I agree..I am 350 lbs."and going down"..I have major back problems "degenerative disc desease" and a spinal cord stimulator implant.But the added weight I carry causes me to have more pain and trouble than if I were thin.This costs more money,no doubt about it.But it is my fault,not McDonalds. We cooked just as bad at home as McDs.Now we cook right and eat right.The weight is comeing off..Amazing! With no help from the gov.I place the blame on my obesity where it belongs..me. The gov. can regulate all they want, but good eating habits have to start at home.Stop blaming fast food joints for making us fat.

Edited by chachi44089

I agree..I am 350 lbs."and going down"..I have major back problems "degenerative disc desease" and a spinal cord stimulator implant.But the added weight I carry causes me to have more pain and trouble than if I were thin.This costs more money,no doubt about it.But it is my fault,not McDonalds. We cooked just as bad at home as McDs.Now we cook right and eat right.The weight is comeing off..Amazing! With no help from the gov.I place the blame on my obesity where it belongs..me. The gov. can regulate all they want, but good eating habits have to start at home.Stop blaming fast food joints for making us fat.

Yes!! Fast food restaurants are billion dollar industries because people make the choice to eat there, not because they force people to eat there. I agree with you 100%.

Oh my! You have convinced me! we should intrude as much as possible on businesses and citizens private lives if it is in the interest of the majority. So shut down you computer right away as the electricity you are using is contributing to global warming. The good of the many is out weights the needs of the few right?

A ban on Happy Meal toys that only effects a handful of stores is an intrusion into your life. Really? Dude- HAPPY MEAL TOYS.

Yes!! Fast food restaurants are billion dollar industries because people make the choice to eat there, not because they force people to eat there. I agree with you 100%.

People make the choice to eat there because there are very few other fast, cheap options. And because we are a race of sheep. Baaaa.

I suspect that most parents will agree that a young child has an amazing amount of pull when deciding where to eat.

The lawmakers are merely wanting to make teh rewards for eating a happy meal a little less direct for children. They are trying to take away the connection between eating something bad and being rewarded with a toy.

Will this make a long-term difference in those children's lives? Who knows, but it might be worthwhile to see.

(I should go on record at this point with the fact that I really like McDonald's cheeseburgers, fries, and (usually) McToys.)

I agree with the reward thing..Maybe McDs could only give the toy with a "healthy meal" not a "happy meal".Might be a good idea.

Parents who let their children have pull in what or where to eat are simply being weak. I use my obesity as a lesson to my daughters as to what unhealthy eating can do to them.And I use my obesity to remind myself that what my kids eat is my responsibility and that they are not smart enough yet to make that decision for themselves. I know I am being a hypocrite, but if it keeps them healthy, I can live with that. My kids have no pull.

A ban on Happy Meal toys that only effects a handful of stores is an intrusion into your life. Really? Dude- HAPPY MEAL TOYS.

I don't think you really grasp the full impact of this decision. First this county and then others will follow. Soon there will be a shortage of McToys and we will see and exponential increase of religious items being placed in caches instead of McToys. This worries me.

I agree with the reward thing..Maybe McDs could only give the toy with a "healthy meal" not a "happy meal".Might be a good idea.

Parents who let their children have pull in what or where to eat are simply being weak. I use my obesity as a lesson to my daughters as to what unhealthy eating can do to them.And I use my obesity to remind myself that what my kids eat is my responsibility and that they are not smart enough yet to make that decision for themselves. I know I am being a hypocrite, but if it keeps them healthy, I can live with that. My kids have no pull.

I don't mean this sarcastically- where do you take your kids to eat when you only have about 30 minutes and you're on the road in a unfamilar area? I'm seriously looking for ideas here.

I don't think you really grasp the full impact of this decision. First this county and then others will follow. Soon there will be a shortage of McToys and we will see and exponential increase of religious items being placed in caches instead of McToys. This worries me.

Odin's beard! I never considered this. We must increase the availability of CRAP to avoid the CRAP!*

*I kind of like McToys if they are unopened.

I don't mean this sarcastically- where do you take your kids to eat when you only have about 30 minutes and you're on the road in a unfamilar area? I'm seriously looking for ideas here.

Subway is ok,turkey and chicken subs on whole wheat with veggies,not too bad.And they are about everywhere. Plus a lot of fast food burger joint now have healthier choices on there menu.We usually get a salad of some sort from Wendys.In 30 min I can hobble into a convienent store and buy a premade sub or salad in the same amout of time you can sit in a drive-thu..You just have to think outside the box..We are too trained in thinking fast food has to come from Mcds or burger King and be unhealthy.

Edited by chachi44089

"an intrusion into your life"

Precisely. As long as it is not an intrusion into your life it doesn't matter. If there was an "an intrusion into your life" I am willing to bet a Happy Meal ® that you would be yelling like no one's business.

I am not against kids eating healthy but coercing business is not the way to do that.

Precisely. As long as it is not an intrusion into your life it doesn't matter. If there was an "an intrusion into your life" I am willing to bet a Happy Meal ® that you would be yelling like no one's business.

I am not against kids eating healthy but coercing business is not the way to do that.

Happy. Meal. Toys.

Into whose life is this a real intrusion? Yours? Hello mole hill, we shall name thee "mountain".

"but of course the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

I know that you are sincere in your beliefs and I respect that. So please see this as not an attack but a question

Do you also support mandatory bicycle and motorcycle helmet laws?

Do you object to medical marijuana since buzzed driving kills?

Do you support the ban of alcohol because drunk driving drives up insurance costs and takes innocent lives?

The whole Toy question is really not as important to me as Mischief would have us think. I am just bothered by the duplicity of thought that judges action by "does this bother me?"

Happy. Meal. Toys.

Into whose life is this a real intrusion? Yours? Hello mole hill, we shall name thee "mountain".

By the way, I see you are still using electricity and polluting the environment.

"but of course the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

I know that you are sincere in your beliefs and I respect that. So please see this as not an attack but a question

Do you also support mandatory bicycle and motorcycle helmet laws?

Do you object to medical marijuana since buzzed driving kills?

Do you support the ban of alcohol because drunk driving drives up insurance costs and takes innocent lives?

The whole Toy question is really not as important to me as Mischief would have us think. I am just bothered by the duplicity of thought that judges action by "does this bother me?"

Oh yes, because to oppose action X means that you have to oppose action Y and all other actions. People are complicated and you're trying over simplify things.

I pedal without a helmet where it is legal to do so.

I object to anybody driving under the influence of any substance that may impair their ability to avoid plowing into my car and killing my kids. This has nothing to do with medical marijuana or drinking in the privacy of your own home responsibly.

It may not be important to you, but you implied that it was an intrusion into somebody's life. You've yet to tell me whose life that is.