Magellan GC and my Cache

I just got my Mothers Day present today... a Magellan GC, so far I just LOVE it, paperless caching and easy navigation rock!

I found my cache on it but no attributes or picture show up in the cache description, even though both are in my cache listing GCT6RT. Is there something I need to do in my cache listing to have it show up in MGC?

Also, is there a way to load "my previous finds" into the unit so I don't have to do it all by hand?

And my serial number is 00000000010. Does that mean I have #10 to roll off the line? :rolleyes:

I just got my Mothers Day present today... a Magellan GC, so far I just LOVE it, paperless caching and easy navigation rock!

I found my cache on it but no attributes or picture show up in the cache description, even though both are in my cache listing GCT6RT. Is there something I need to do in my cache listing to have it show up in MGC?

Also, is there a way to load "my previous finds" into the unit so I don't have to do it all by hand?

And my serial number is 00000000010. Does that mean I have #10 to roll off the line? :ph34r:

Congrats! It's definitely a very nice handheld.

I'm sure you're using PQs, and to get attributes you need to go to view/edit account and then change preferences and change the GPX version to 1.0.1. As far as I can tell the only way to get the pictures to show up on the handheld is use the VantagePoint software from Magellan to load your pocket queries onto the GC.

As for previous finds I haven't found an easy way to get them to show as found other than doing it by hand or just having the PQ filter them out :rolleyes:

I found my cache on it but no attributes or picture show up in the cache description, even though both are in my cache listing t. Is there something I need to do in my cache listing to have it show up in MGC?

And my serial number is 00000000010. Does that mean I have #10 to roll off the line? :rolleyes:

Welcome, fellow Nashville cacher.

The Explorist doesn't pictures for that cache as no images are present in either of the description.

Explorist GC can't display attributes if they're not present in the GPX. Does your GPX file actually have attributes (open it in your favorite text editor.) Only 1.0.1 PQs will have this and they're not the default, you have to go into your account and activate them. The default is still 1.0.0 to compensate for software that doesn't handle change well.

Like others said upgrade to 1.0.1 .gpx file for attributes. If you load from GSAK you will have an option for for GSAK to get the pictures from each cache page's gallery. You will need internet access when you select that option. Works like a charm and doesn't take as long as I thought it would. Currently there is no way to have the GC recognize your finds from a .gpx file.

Hey Sue,

Got my own GC in the mail today. I am still trying to figure out how to get the most out of it. Was this device supposed to come with the VantagePoint software because it did not. They also forgot to include my Monkey Geocoin, which I am annoyed about. I want to delete all of the preloaded caches and upload my own. so far I have only been able to upload one at a time, even though I check all of the boxes on a page. Sigh. One day I will stop being so technically challenged.

Hey Sue,

Got my own GC in the mail today. I am still trying to figure out how to get the most out of it. Was this device supposed to come with the VantagePoint software because it did not. They also forgot to include my Monkey Geocoin, which I am annoyed about. I want to delete all of the preloaded caches and upload my own. so far I have only been able to upload one at a time, even though I check all of the boxes on a page. Sigh. One day I will stop being so technically challenged.

Maybe I am just dumb, but I wasn't able to find a download of VantagePoint on the magellan website.

Hey Sue,

Maybe I am just dumb, but I wasn't able to find a download of VantagePoint on the magellan website.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=1903

Click the download button and you are all set.

Hey Sue,

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=1903

Click the download button and you are all set.

Lifesaver!

Hey Sue,

If you open up the device like a drive (by double clicking on it from my computer) and then open the Geocaches folder you will see the GPX files where the caches currently on the GC reside. The largest file is the 999 popular caches that are included. You can outright delete them or move them off the GC and save them for later. As for getting many caches loaded onto it at a time, the easiest way to do that is Pocket Queries which requires a Premium Membership.

Hope that helps!

Hey Sue,

If you open up the device like a drive (by double clicking on it from my computer) and then open the Geocaches folder you will see the GPX files where the caches currently on the GC reside. The largest file is the 999 popular caches that are included. You can outright delete them or move them off the GC and save them for later. As for getting many caches loaded onto it at a time, the easiest way to do that is Pocket Queries which requires a Premium Membership.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! I am starting to get the hang of it, but being technically challenged, it has been a bit of a struggle.

Meetings and travel I wasn't ignoring you joykinz. Seems all the questions have been answered. Personally I've left the original file in, just for fun. Since you can have multiple .gpx files all active and I am no where need to the cap of 10,000 I just left them in case I pass by one somewhere, you never know where I might pop up.

Vantage Point has quite a few features from what I understand, but as I already had GSAK up and running and Clyde already has it set up to support the GC I just load my files from there. Loads the caches, attributes, logs, and pictures. One day I may have time to explore VP.

from Magellan - "pre-loaded with the most popular geocaches in the world" - aka - USA - How droll, how very very DROLL!

I stand corrected - " 999 of the most popular North American and European traditional caches are preloaded."

Why Hello there from OZ............, where's my DELETE button as Frenzalo mentions....

Has any Explorist GC owner tried putting a "My Finds" pocket query on the unit? Basically, if you do have all your finds as a .GPX, does the unit recognize all of them and show them as happy faces? What about your cache hides? How does the unit handle this stuff? :anicute: Basically, on my Garmin, I keep all my finds and hides as POI so that I always know where my finds/hides are for my own future hiding purposes (proximity to other caches, etc). Can anyone shed light on this?

Has any Explorist GC owner tried putting a "My Finds" pocket query on the unit? Basically, if you do have all your finds as a .GPX, does the unit recognize all of them and show them as happy faces? What about your cache hides? How does the unit handle this stuff? :anicute: Basically, on my Garmin, I keep all my finds and hides as POI so that I always know where my finds/hides are for my own future hiding purposes (proximity to other caches, etc). Can anyone shed light on this?

From what I have read from one of the threads where folks who have tried the new software for the GC say that it shows your found caches as smilies. With the v1.0 software it just shows the regular cache symbol.

I've not tried this yet but I don't think it's equipped to recognize the My Finds PQ as FOUND on the unit.

I suppose I could try loading it later and update you.

I tried it and while it loads the file the caches are not recognized as found by the unit.

Bummer. So, the unit will only keep a lifetime log of caches it has found. Too bad it can't interface better with the my finds PQ. :o

I've not tried this yet but I don't think it's equipped to recognize the My Finds PQ as FOUND on the unit.

I tried it and while it loads the file the caches are not recognized as found by the unit.

Bummer. So, the unit will only keep a lifetime log of caches it has found. Too bad it can't interface better with the my finds PQ. :)

FYI - This feedback/request has been given to Magellan. I can't speak for them and say it will happen but they are certainly listening to the input and requests.

It's great that the companies are listening to the consumers, after all it makes their products better. I really like the looks of this little unit. A few more kinks ironed out and I may make the jump. Too bad I missed the monkey coin... :)

FYI - This feedback/request has been given to Magellan. I can't speak for them and say it will happen but they are certainly listening to the input and requests.