Map60Cx & Legend HCx

A quick question for all the techi types.

I have had a Legend HCx for some time and have been happy with it, I purchased a Map60Cx and have now had them sat together for 30 mins and the Legend has locked onto the Ergos (D displayed) yet the Map60Cx just doesn't seem to want to lock on. They are both advertised as having high sensitiviy aerials

Accuracy on Legend +/- 8ft compared to the Map60Cx +/-15ft.

Decided to get the 60Cx because of all the rave reviews on here about it and the larger screen. Feeling a bit dissapointed now :rolleyes:

Edited by DrDick&Vick

A quick question for all the techi types.

I have had a Legend HCx for some time and have been happy with it, I purchased a Map60Cx and have now had them sat together for 30 mins and the Legend has locked onto the Ergos (D displayed) yet the Map60Cx just doesn't seem to want to lock on. They are both advertised as having high sensitiviy aerials

Accuracy on Legend +/- 8ft compared to the Map60Cx +/-15ft.

Decided to get the 60Cx because of all the rave reviews on here about it and the larger screen. Feeling a bit dissapointed now :rolleyes:

If you have the GPSMap60Cx then it isn't the high-sensitivity model, that is the GPSMap60CSx.

Would explain a lot, as I know my old GPSMap60C was pretty poor when compared to my Legend HCX with regard to lock and accuracy.

Regards,

Martin

I was under the impression that it was the Map60C & CS that were the original units with the old chipset. When they started using the new, high sensitivity chips, they added a microSD card and stuck the 'x' into the model name. I may be wrong but I thought the only difference between the Cx and CSx varients was the addition of an electronic compass and and a barometric altimeter.

If your Map60CSx is brand new, then it will need to download the satellite almanac and that can take a considerable time. Put some new batteries in and leave it switched on in your garden overnight. That should do it nicely... don't worry about the weather... it's waterproof.

Thought about that Martin but checked the Garmin site and both the 60Cx and the 60 Cxs are listed as having the High Sensitivity reciever, the only difference is the Altimeter and Compass.

Cut and paste from their site:

GPSMAP® 60CSx

High-sensitivity GPS receiver, colour display, microSD card slot, 64 MB microSD card, electronic compass, barometric altimeter

GPSMAP® 60Cx

High-sensitivity GPS receiver, colour display, microSD card slot, 64 MB microSD card

Hi Pharisee, I got it on EBay so it will already have the almanc down.

Does it actually display the D when it locks onto the ERGOS (as does the Legend) will have a look and see if there is any software updates for it.

Yes, it certainly does display 'D' in the signal strength bar when it's getting the EGNOS correction data.

If you download and install Garmin's 'Web Updater' it will download and install the latest firmware for you.

Thought about that Martin but checked the Garmin site and both the 60Cx and the 60 Cxs are listed as having the High Sensitivity reciever, the only difference is the Altimeter and Compass.

Cut and paste from their site:

GPSMAP® 60CSx

High-sensitivity GPS receiver, colour display, microSD card slot, 64 MB microSD card, electronic compass, barometric altimeter

GPSMAP® 60Cx

High-sensitivity GPS receiver, colour display, microSD card slot, 64 MB microSD card

Useful to know, thanks. I was always led to believe that only the CSX was high-sensitivity; I'll try and remember.

Regards,

Martin

Just installed the latest firmware for it and it does now show the D where I expected it.

Will now wait and see if it performs as well as the Legend out in the field.

Must say I like the larger screen (old eyes) and I got a good deal on it (Unit, Manuals, Lead, Mapsource Disc and TOPO Disc) all for only £150 + £5 pp.

Even if I don't like it I think I will get my money back if I sell it all.

All the Garmin handheld support the WAAS (EGNOS here) option but it needs to be enabled. It doesn't matter what type of GPS chipset the unit is using WAAS will still work as long as you have a clear view to the southern horizon to pick up the geostationary satellite. As Pharisee said it has to download the almanac which can take 20 to 30 minutes sometime. If you've recently travelled with the it several hundred miles and then switched it on it can take longer.

Chris (MrB)

WAAS/EGNOS

Left it out for 6 hours and it locked on to the Ergos OK and hopefully it downloaded the almanac..

Took it out on test alongside the Legend today and must admit I like the ease of use and the larger screen BUT the Legend out performed it on accuracy 75% of the time (under trees) and equalled it for the remaining 25%.

I would have hoped for better considering the 60Cx has the purposeful looking aerial.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

A quick question

I am sure there is a way of setting the range for when the alarm beep sounds as you approach the cache you are heading to, any ideas please folks?

Hi DrD&V

I have a gps that doesn't beep at all. I find having to back-track 300+ feet because I wasn'y concentrating an extra caching challenge. :anibad:

A quick question

I am sure there is a way of setting the range for when the alarm beep sounds as you approach the cache you are heading to, any ideas please folks?

I've an idea you can't set the distance. I've just looked through the user manual and can find how to set the tone that sounds but not the proximity distance.

By the way, the whizzy aerial is kind of irrelevant... The eTre series (flat front) have a patch aerial which means you should hold the unit flat in your hand. The 60 series (and Colorado) have an aerial that sticks up and should be held vertically.

Chris (MrB)

I have had a 60Cx for a few years now.

If you have the gps mode set to "Normal", you will get about the same accuracy as a Vista HCx which is what Pauline uses.

If you set the gps mode on the 60Cx to "Battery Saver", the accuracy will be much worse...+/- 15metres.

Not sure if you set the radius for the beeps and alarms.

If we are travelling in the car or moving fast, then it beeps when we are further away than if we had been walking slowly.

Maybe it's the amount of warning time you need related to the speed you are going at.

Anyway, it always beeps at some point.