Does my Garmin need a MAP to display coordinates

Okay, I'm really new to caching. I've got a GARMIN NUVI.

But I've got a chance to travel to Singapore and Taiwan coming up.

I can't afford maps for those places.

Wondered if I used google maps to get me close if the GARMIN would still turn on and be able to show me Long. & Lat. coordinates once I got near GZ?

Any thoughts?

If your Nuvi is one of the newer models that allows you to just drop an *.img file into the Garmin folder, you might want to look at free maps for your destination that are available here:

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Once you have selected the tiles that contain the areas you need, you'll get an email pointing you to a selection of files that you can download. You'd want the *.img file.

There should be a world basemap in your Nuvi that includes gross features like major highways and city names. There will not be any street level detail but at least you'll be able to see your relative position on a map even without detail maps.

As ecanderson pointed out, you can get free maps. In addition to the site he linked, you can also look at Malsingmaps.com and see what is available there ("Malsing" is a concatenation of Malaysia and Singapore).

...ken...