60csx can float?

wrtiii

Someone told me that w/ Lithium Ion Batteries the 60csx actually becomes buoyant...

Anyone ever do any extensive testing of this?

Anyone ever do any extensive tester as to how waterproof the unit really is?

If you go near water what do you do? Most people just using a floatation (floater keychain thngy) device or something of the sort for the 60csx ?

Bill

Someone told me that w/ Lithium Ion Batteries the 60csx actually becomes buoyant...

If you go near water what do you do? Most people just using a floatation (floater keychain thngy) device or something of the sort for the 60csx ?

Bill

Yes, there was a video of such a test posted years ago. The batteries were lithium AA's, not lithium ion.

Bill

My guess would be NO! Why not see if the batteries float first. If they don't then you have part of your answer!

My guess would be NO! Why not see if the batteries float first. If they don't then you have part of your answer!

From Wikipedia:

Traditional alkaline AA batteries have mass of roughly 23 g (0.81 oz), Lithium AA batteries have mass around 15 g (0.5 oz), and rechargeable NiMH batteries have mass about 31 g (1.1 oz).

Volume is around 8 cubic cm. (Energizer PDF - calculations from dimensions on Wikipedia suggests about 7.8 cubic cm). 15g / 8 cubic cm is about twice as dense as water, it will not float.

However, that doesn't mean the 60csx with lithium batteries will not float. The 32 g difference (two batteries) between NiMH and lithium may mean the difference between the unit floating or sinking. Question is whether the unit floats without batteries in the first place.

Even if it does, that approx. 1 ounce that makes the difference between sinking and floating is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling :rolleyes:

Edit : I'd recommend a good lanyard in addition to any flotation aids.

Edited by Chrysalides

From Wikipedia:

Traditional alkaline AA batteries have mass of roughly 23 g (0.81 oz), Lithium AA batteries have mass around 15 g (0.5 oz), and rechargeable NiMH batteries have mass about 31 g (1.1 oz).

Volume is around 8 cubic cm. (Energizer PDF - calculations from dimensions on Wikipedia suggests about 7.8 cubic cm). 15g / 8 cubic cm is about twice as dense as water, it will not float.

However, that doesn't mean the 60csx with lithium batteries will not float. The 32 g difference (two batteries) between NiMH and lithium may mean the difference between the unit floating or sinking. Question is whether the unit floats without batteries in the first place.

Even if it does, that approx. 1 ounce that makes the difference between sinking and floating is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling :ph34r:

Edit : I'd recommend a good lanyard in addition to any flotation aids.

My, what a plethora of information :rolleyes:

Bill

Floating the batteries proves nothing. With enough positive buoyancy attached (the GPS device), you can float a cinder block (the batteries).

The 60csx, much like DeLorme's GPSrs, appears to have just barely enough buoyancy to stay afloat with the least-dense batteries possible installed.

Bill

Floating the batteries proves nothing. With enough positive buoyancy attached (the GPS device), you can float a cinder block (the batteries).

The 60csx, much like DeLorme's GPSrs, appears to have just barely enough buoyancy to stay afloat with the least-dense batteries possible installed.

Salt or fresh water? Just be safe and don't drop it in the drink in the first place...

I have my 60CSX attached to my backpack strap with the belt clip. Then I have a lanyard on it as well which is attached to my backpack with a carabiner. That way if I happen to drop it while leaning over a ledge or river bank it wont end up going very far. Although the unit is supposed to be waterproof I don't intend on testing it out anytime soon.

My friend and I have a friendly argument going: Since we are never around oceans or lakes with our units and only shin deep streams, I maintain I would rather have my 60CSx sink to the bottom of the stream bed where I can easily bend over and pick it up out of the water. His, however, being a 76CSx will be carried away by the flowing water, out of sight, over the waterfall a mile away. :rolleyes:

My friend and I have a friendly argument going: Since we are never around oceans or lakes with our units and only shin deep streams, I maintain I would rather have my 60CSx sink to the bottom of the stream bed where I can easily bend over and pick it up out of the water. His, however, being a 76CSx will be carried away by the flowing water, out of sight, over the waterfall a mile away. :blink:

Unless it sinks real fast it will still be carried out of sight,most rivers Ive ever seen are moving pretty good and as a result you cant see the bottom too good,why not just tether it to yourself, or put it in one of those gps water proof pouches with some closed cell foam.I do that wit my 76 when I am in the saltchuck kayaking,just to keep the salt off it and I still tether it to me.

Edited by Forkeye

My friend and I have a friendly argument going: Since we are never around oceans or lakes with our units and only shin deep streams, I maintain I would rather have my 60CSx sink to the bottom of the stream bed where I can easily bend over and pick it up out of the water. His, however, being a 76CSx will be carried away by the flowing water, out of sight, over the waterfall a mile away. :blink:

Unless it sinks real fast it will still be carried out of sight,most rivers Ive ever seen are moving pretty good and as a result you cant see the bottom too good,why not just tether it to yourself, or put it in one of those gps water proof pouches with some closed cell foam.I do that wit my 76 when I am in the saltchuck kayaking,just to keep the salt off it and I still tether it to me.

AMEN the way I see it if you wanted it to float you should have bought the 76. The 76csx and 60csx are identical in performance. The only difference is the obvious one is just water-proof and the other Floats. I bought the 60csx for the same reason above I really dont want to chase it much rather bend over and pick it up. I suggest if your fear is losing it then a good lanyard and carabiner.

I've been canoeing with a friend who has a 60Csx. We were trying to board the canoe in a tough spot without getting our feet wet. I made it in the boat with my 76Csx laying in the bottom of the canoe. As he jumped in and pushed off we flipped over in about 4' of water. My 76 floated on its back just below the surface of the water with Duracell Ultra's loaded. His 60 floated antenna up bobbing up and down - he had Duracell Procells loaded. It was dusk and we both had the displays lit so they were quite easy to see.

They stayed in the water for close to 10 minutes while we grabbed stuff that wasn't quite so waterproof. Both units were fine and we opened the battery compartments to find dry compartments.

Cachezilla5 - OTher diffrence.. The 76 is ugly, and the buttons on top of the screen are a horrible design for a hand held, and If I am not mistaken the 76 doesn't have a dedicated mark button (correct me if I am wrong on that last one)

At any rate Thanks for all the info everyone, I put a pair of e2 lithiums in it and tossed it in the bathtub. Just as Hank said it floating quite nicely.

cheers

Cachezilla5 - OTher diffrence.. The 76 is ugly, and the buttons on top of the screen are a horrible design for a hand held, and If I am not mistaken the 76 doesn't have a dedicated mark button (correct me if I am wrong on that last one)

At any rate Thanks for all the info everyone, I put a pair of e2 lithiums in it and tossed it in the bathtub. Just as Hank said it floating quite nicely.

cheers

Your opinion. I think the 76 button placement makes a lot of sense and is much easier to use than the 60. I think the 60 with that thing sticking out of the top looks ugly, while the 76 presents a smooth and nice profile. Oh, and yes it has a mark button. In fact it has every button the 60 has, so there.

The buttons on the top of the screen allow for one handed operation. Unit is stable in the palm of the hand and is also held by four fingers. Thumb operates buttons and does not block display.

The 76 has a MOB (man overboard) button and works wery nicely.

what is a MOB? a button you hit that marks the spot incase someone falls overboard? I hope they sink so they stay in that spot.

The buttons on the top of the screen allow for one handed operation. Unit is stable in the palm of the hand and is also held by four fingers. Thumb operates buttons and does not block display.

The 76 has a MOB (man overboard) button and works wery nicely.

what is a MOB? a button you hit that marks the spot incase someone falls overboard? I hope they sink so they stay in that spot.

yeah, man overboard. It is like a mark button but it also starts navigating to the marked position.

cheers

Your opinion. I think the 76 button placement makes a lot of sense and is much easier to use than the 60. I think the 60 with that thing sticking out of the top looks ugly, while the 76 presents a smooth and nice profile. Oh, and yes it has a mark button. In fact it has every button the 60 has, so there.

'

hehehe, I personally much prefer the look of the 60 B) It's manly and rugged :anibad:

hehehe, I personally much prefer the look of the 60 B) It's manly and rugged :anibad:

I hesitated to get into this discussion, but I think this quote pretty much sums up the preference for the 60 form factor. Anyone who has actually used both types will know that the screen is not blocked when you operate the 76 series with the thumb and it affords a much more sturdy grip on the unit as compared to the 60 series.

I originally got a really good deal on a 76CS, so when I upgraded to the new generation of high sensitivity receiver I chose the 76CSx simply because I already had a Ram mount to fit it. I am sure I would be happy with a 60CSx also, but I get tired of people coming on here and saying the screen is blocked when you operate the buttons. Appearance is subjective, but I agree the 60 looks cooler.

Everyone has their favorite form factor,the 76 was designed to float because it is a portable marine unit,try picking up a 60 when you drop it in the ocean,if I was in a river I would tie either one to myself,in a fast flowing river the 76 will float away quickly and the 60 will be carried downsteam as it slowly sinks,unless the surface water is quite calm you wont be able to see the bottom anyway so you would most likely loose either one.In calm shallow water you can get back both.Which ones better seems a pointless disscusion.If I drop them both off a cliff will the 60 fall quicker than the 76 or will the 76 flutter to earth because its flat :anibad:B) Should have got the parachute model.

Edited by Forkeye