In over my head now... totally lost

I have selected from "Free routable maps for Garmin brand GPS devices" a group of tiles and had them dowloaded to the server page... NOW WHAT? I am not a techno geek that understands "Nullsoft Scriptable Installer's" or "MapSource installer's..etc.... I just wanted to download an area around where I live to use the turn x turn feature of my new Oregon 200. Has anyone had success downloading and installing this to a Garmin? Help Please!!!?

Thanks much

I have selected from "Free routable maps for Garmin brand GPS devices" a group of tiles and had them dowloaded to the server page... NOW WHAT? I am not a techno geek that understands "Nullsoft Scriptable Installer's" or "MapSource installer's..etc.... I just wanted to download an area around where I live to use the turn x turn feature of my new Oregon 200. Has anyone had success downloading and installing this to a Garmin? Help Please!!!?

Thanks much

If you are getting these maps from OSM, they are offering you your maps in several formats.

The version that comes as an executable (*.exe file) can be loaded to the Garmin MapSource product if you like, and then to your Oregon. When you run the "program", it installs the map to MapSource. If that's what you need, download that file.

If you don't feel the need to use MapSource to view the map on your PC, just download the map itself (*.img file) and slide that right over to your Garmin in the Garmin folder. Rename it to something meaningful first so you'll remember what it is.

Thanks much

If you are getting these maps from OSM, they are offering you your maps in several formats.

The version that comes as an executable (*.exe file) can be loaded to the Garmin MapSource product if you like, and then to your Oregon. When you run the "program", it installs the map to MapSource. If that's what you need, download that file.

If you don't feel the need to use MapSource to view the map on your PC, just download the map itself (*.img file) and slide that right over to your Garmin in the Garmin folder. Rename it to something meaningful first so you'll remember what it is.

What is OSM? MapSource? I am getting these maps from the Garmin Website. I assume I download the exe. to my computer and fire it up with my Garmin hooked up. I would assume it would just dump the info to my Oregon? Whjy would I want MapSource on my PC? Just to see if it sent me everything? This is all new to me... Sorry for the rookie questions

What is OSM? MapSource? I am getting these maps from the Garmin Website.

Sorry, no. Thought you were getting maps from the Open Street Maps project.

I assume I download the exe. to my computer and fire it up with my Garmin hooked up. I would assume it would just dump the info to my Oregon? Whjy would I want MapSource on my PC? Just to see if it sent me everything? This is all new to me... Sorry for the rookie questions
MapSource on your PC lets you look at the same map as you are loading to your Garmin, and then when you pull tracks from your Garmin (or waypoints, or ) they show up on the same map on your PC. In reverse, you can also use the MapSource program to send the map the other way (to your GPS).

I haven't loaded a Garmin routable map in quite some time, but I'm assuming the process is the same as before. Run installer. Map is thereby loaded to MapSource. Push map from MapSource to your GPS. Once installed, you select a map with the "Maps" tab, then with the "Transfer" tab, send the map to your GPS.

There's also some Garmin software called MapInstall that does the same directly and more easily. You still need to run the exe to install the map you bought, but after that, it's a piece of cake with MapInstall. If you didn't receive it with your GPS, you can find it here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291