What does "recovery" mean?

Team BizGal

I'm newer than a newbie and printed out Details for a couple of benchmark records in my area. On DU0802, for example, it notes "1960 by NGS (Good) Recovery note by NGS survey 1960..."

I'm trying to understand this...

Does that mean it was found during another survey crew in 1960 or that they removed it from its location (see I told you this would be a dumb question!)

If you don't know the answer and you want to find out, that's the most intelligent thing to do! icon_biggrin.gif

A recovery note indicates that the reporter found the the BM as described. They leave 'em be unless the BM has been torn loose from its mounting...in that case, the report would so state.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Recovery is inherently confusing and was a particularly poor choice of words by the NGS. I suppose whoever came up with it was operating on the assumption that everyone involved understands that the markers are permanent and therefore would never even imagine moving one. The words removed or reclaimed are, or should be, used to denote a marker that has been rendered useless and taken away.