You are a Geocaching God!

Scaber

Let's say that you have been crowned the God (or Goddess) of Geocaching. What would one of your 10 commandments be? I will start us off with one.

"Thou shalt not use the words right or left in cache descriptions."

I troubles me to see descriptions like "just over the fence" or "to the right of the trail". Those are all dependent on what direction you care coming from. Come on folks, we all have GPS's. How about saying "East of the fence" or "North side of the trail?"

That's just one commandment. Add your own.

Thou shalt leave meaningful hints or none at all.

Thou shalt put some thought into your hide.

Thou shalt select a hiding spot for a reason.

Thou shalt log more the "TFTC", "Found it", or "Thanks".

Thou shalt be patient while waiting for a new cache review.

Thou shalt not gripe about reviewers not approving your cache until you have read their message sand complied with their requests or dicsussed your issues with them.

Thous shalt not go the forums and gripe about the activities of other cachers until AFTER you have made at least 3 attempts to communicate with them.

Thous shalt not hide a cache you are not prepared to maintain.

Thou shalt remove your cache when you archive it.

That'll do for now. I'll give someone else a chance. :)

I think these 10 commandments will be filled right up, no space left. :)

I. Thou shalt obey all terms and conditions as set forth by Geocaching.com

II. Thou shalt not take up unnecessary log space with very large signature, especially is space is limited.

III. Thou shalt not hoard geocoins or travel bugs for the purpose of keeping them forever.

IV. Thou shalt not steal the cache container of another for thine own cache or because thou likest.

V. Thou shalt not hide in sensitive habitat

VI. Thou shalt obtain permission prior to hiding on private property and include in cache listing it has been granted.

VII. Thou shalt not leave cache exposed, unless it is to be done so by design.

VIII. Thou shalt not leave anything food-like in a cache, no mints, no gum, no cough drops, nothing which may be ingested.

IX. Thou shalt trade even or better for worse on swag.

X. Thou shalt maintain thine cache or retire it, no walking away from your responsibility.

Let's say that you have been crowned the God (or Goddess) of Geocaching. What would one of your 10 commandments be? I will start us off with one.

I troubles me to see descriptions like "just over the fence" or "to the right of the trail". Those are all dependent on what direction you care coming from. Come on folks, we all have GPS's. How about saying "East of the fence" or "North side of the trail?"

"Thou shalt not provide a non-hint, hint."

In other words, if you're going to provide a hint, don't bother with, "No hint necessary", or "Sorry, no hint for you", or "Look for the container in the forest". Just leave the hint blank.

"If thou doest live in the land of winter's embrace, thou shalt indicate whether thy cache is or is not winter friendly."

For those of us who like to go out in the winter, it is really nice to know that a cache can be found even if there is a metre of snow on the ground.

"If thou doest create a challenging Challenge cache, the challenge shall be in meeting the challenge, not in the finding of the challenge cache itself."

Yeah, this one is probably a bit controversial. But if the challenge is to find a bunch of caches that meet a specific set of really tough criteria, then the Challenge cache shouldn't be too tough a challenge to find itself as it should be the reward for meeting the Challenge.

"Thou Shalt Log Thy DNF's."

Honestly, I DNF'd a cache today that has been out for 4 days. Before I got home, someone else logged a DNF, and the CO went out and fixed the horrid coordinates. Suddenly, all the cachers in the area are finding the cache. Half of them mention having hunted the cache previously. As I said in my DNF log (which got deleted, go figure. . .)

I think those who are logging that they found it after multiple hunts should think about the fact that by not logging their DNFs, the cache owner had no idea that there was something wrong. Cudos to [so-and-so] for doing the right thing and logging their DNF. Cudos to [The Cache Owner] for fixing it quickly. Every person to not log a DNF wasted everyone else's time in hunting a cache with bad coords.

A - freakin' - men!

How many caches have I been to where I wonder "Why am I here?"?

I like a nice walk in the forest, a view from a hilltop, a quaint stroll by a brook, a morsel of historical interest.

"This is where I used to live" is just not good enough.

I've lived in this town/area for 2 years. There's so much interesting stuff to get to know - old railways, creeks, windmills, heritage buildings, etc. Show me those, not the car parks. Car parks are hangouts for undesirables.

To this, I add my own commandment:

Thou shalt not place heavy ammo cans in a large thicket of prickly blackberry bushes. At the right time of year they may be juicy eaty, but at all times they are ouchy bleedy!

Thou shalt not place a cache near a public bodily function release area.

But a private one is OK?

BTW, I hapen to have a well received cache inside an outhouse. It happens to be abandone, moved from the hole, and has collapsed, but still, an outhouse.

Here is mine:

Thou shalt not call a multi-cache a traditional (and vice-versa).

Thou shalt no call a puzzle cache a multi.

Edited by Andronicus

A - freakin' - men!

How many caches have I been to where I wonder "Why am I here?"?

I like a nice walk in the forest, a view from a hilltop, a quaint stroll by a brook, a morsel of historical interest.

"This is where I used to live" is just not good enough.

I've lived in this town/area for 2 years. There's so much interesting stuff to get to know - old railways, creeks, windmills, heritage buildings, etc. Show me those, not the car parks. Car parks are hangouts for undesirables.

Thou shalt not complain about being somewhere borring - Thou shalt not hunt for caches in locations thou detesteth.

PS, the answer to "Why am I hear?" is "to search for a cache" That is what caching is about. Any thing else is personal preference, and it is your fault for not seeing that that parking lot cache is going to be lame. Maybe you are confusing geocaching with Waymarking, or sight-seeing. That is it, I am changing my signature to say something about "If you don't want to find it, don't look"

Edited by Andronicus

I came up with these for a future hide:

(1) Groundspeak shalt be thy Supreme Diety in all things regarding Tupperware hidden in the shrubbery, and thou shalt have no other cache listing service before them

(2) Thou shalt not post an image or any likeness of what is in the shrubbery, lest thou spoil the hunt of thy brethren

(3) Thou shalt not take the name of Signal in vain

(4) Remember the CITO day and keep it holy

(5) Honor your Reviewer and your Forum Moderator

(6) Thou shalt not kill another cacher, unless they post an SBA on thy cache

(7) Thou shalt not lust over the stats of others

(8) Thou shalt not muggle caches, nor shalt thou steal coins or bugs

(9) Thou shalt not bear false witness in thy cache logs

(10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ammo can

But a private one is OK?

BTW, I hapen to have a well received cache inside an outhouse. It happens to be abandone, moved from the hole, and has collapsed, but still, an outhouse.

Here is mine:

An outhouse, maybe. I was referring to a secluded little spot just off a trail where people have emergency butt release. Or, for some, where they can't even be bothered to step off of the trail.

Recently... At first i thought maybe it WAS the cache because no human could release something of that length and girth without it being attached to an umbilical cord but I wasn't about to investigate to see if it was the cache. Good thing too because it wasn't the cache but the cache was within 10 feet.

(1) Groundspeak shalt be thy Supreme Diety in all things regarding Tupperware hidden in the shrubbery, and thou shalt have no other cache listing service before them

(2) Thou shalt not post an image or any likeness of what is in the shrubbery, lest thou spoil the hunt of thy brethren

Brilliant! Very well thought-out. I may have to print this out and share it with my pastor, she'd get a real kick out of it. :)

An outhouse, maybe. I was referring to a secluded little spot just off a trail where people have emergency butt release. Or, for some, where they can't even be bothered to step off of the trail.

Recently... At first i thought maybe it WAS the cache because no human could release something of that length and girth without it being attached to an umbilical cord but I wasn't about to investigate to see if it was the cache. Good thing too because it wasn't the cache but the cache was within 10 feet.

That is the funnyest post I have read on here ever (in my 1ish years of caching).

I quit! I cannot read anymore. The tears are free-flowing.

:):anicute::ph34r::):D:D:D:D

But a private one is OK?

Here is mine:

An outhouse, maybe. I was referring to a secluded little spot just off a trail where people have emergency butt release.

I probably shouldn't ask but how do you determine if it was an emergency? It may have been premeditated.

My gosh, I am so offended. How in good conscience can you mention the word god here in these forums? I am calling ACLU and filing a grievance.. :rolleyes:

That is the funnyest post I have read on here ever (in my 1ish years of caching).

PLEASE please don't encourage him.

Brilliant! Very well thought-out. I may have to print this out and share it with my pastor, she'd get a real kick out of it. :rolleyes:

He stole those from The Church of the Immaculate Hide

Thou shalt hold no other cache god before me.

Take care to make a covenant with the managers/owners of the land to which you are hiding upon, or it will become a snare among you.

Thou shalt not make for thyself a false cache, wherein the form be listed as true.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against any cacher. (this deserves sub commandments)

• No foundits on unsigned.
  • No NM because you DNF.
  • No SBA because you have over so much supposed experience and DNFed.
  • No complaining to reviewers because you have over so much supposed experience and DNFed.
  • No not logging because you DNFed.
  • No throw down and claim find.

Thou shalt reserve the 31st day for cache maintenance, required or not.

30 days hath September,

April, June, and November.

All the rest have 31,

excepting February,

that contrary son of a gun.

Thou shalt not recreate before cache maintenance.

Thou shalt not steal the cache of another

Neither shall you steal swag nor degrade it with unfair exchange.

Neither shall you complain because coords are 10 yards or less off.

Thou shalt prove a puzzle is solvable by supplying a reviewer everything they need to know to solve, including but not limited to a decryption of your vague hints.

Thou shalt have averaged a minimum of 20 coord samples before considering listing.

Thou shalt not hide two or more sizes smaller than the location can handle.

Thou shalt not covet numbers nor hold another above anyone simply because of them.

Thou shalt not use malicious tactics to gain FTF.

Thou shalt cast thy entitlements upon the forums for they shall be angsty.

And from thy angsty-ness shall be begotten the geocides.

And from thy geocides there shall be thy occasional cache maggotry.

Teach thy children and thy children's children. There shalt be no other Geocaching Prophets before Snoogans!

Yay though he walketh in the shadow of his own immeasurably large ego and frequent delusions of grandeur he shall fear no invalidation for he walketh at the right hand of Jeremy and briansnat. :rolleyes::ph34r:

Thou shalt not use malicious tactics to gain FTF.

Is it a malicious tactic to hire these guys to get me to the cache first?

340x.jpg

It's a trap!

Anyway, I think you should hire the guy who did the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs.

My own contribution:

"Seek, and sometimes thou shalt find"

Still waiting for the Blue Bow's and the 'Snat's contribution.

Thou shalt rehide thy find as thou hast found it; it is an abomination to reveal or conceal more then the CO hath intended.

Rate thy hide truthfully, for an over-rated cache disgrathest the game and an under-rated cache bringest woe and affliction upon the hunter.

Edited by Juan Durrer

My ones from last week...

Thou shalt not hide a cache which requires the movement of a large bone crushing boulder and call it a small rock. If it takes 2 people to move any of the rocks on said pile none of them are "small rocks."

I second the "rate thy hide truthfully." When there is one approach to a cache and that includes crawling over and under stumpage, through swampage, bushwhacking up a steep hill and teetering on the edge of death that is not a 1.5 for terrain.

I am going to make one to hang in my house..

Thou shalt not unplug my charger to charge thy I-POD..." My daughters"

Thou shalt not dispose of non-disposeable batteries.."My Wife".

Thou shalt not put my GPSR where you think it goest,then goest shopping all day..."wife and kids"

Thou shalt not commandeer my computer whilst I am visiting the throne.."kids"

Thou shalt not borrow my good geocaching flashlight to play outsideth, and leave it for me to runeth over with lawnmower.."kids"

Thou shalt not calleth me "dorky" for wearing my GPSR lanyard around the house.."kids"

Thou shalt not laugh at me through the walkie-talkies because my butt-crack is showing whilst retrieving a cache ineth a low place :rolleyes: .."wife and kids"

Dan Bern has it on good authority that one of the important commandments forbids us from being mean to a moose. (Lightning Jazz.) I think that also applies to caching.

Of course my commandments also would include something about honoring the virtuals; not putting extra smiley faces and wahoos on first to find logs; trading up or even lest the cache get depleted; the longer you hike the easier the find must be; and no hints telling me that there no hints.

Edited by Erickson

My gosh, I am so offended. How in good conscience can you mention the word god here in these forums? I am calling ACLU and filing a grievance.. :blink:

I respect the right of everyone to be offended. :)

I'm just catching up on some reading so I'm a replying a little late but I just gotta say; You had me at "emergency butt release".

:):):)

Thou shalt not place a clue that when decrypted states "Don't think I will give a hint just yet, but if enough cachers have trouble finding this, then I might."

Thou shalt not place a nano or micro in the middle of the forest/woods.

Thou shall remember to enjoy the journey to the cache.

Thou shalt not place a clue that when decrypted states "Don't think I will give a hint just yet, but if enough cachers have trouble finding this, then I might."

Thou shalt not place a nano or micro in the middle of the forest/woods.

Thou shall remember to enjoy the journey to the cache.

I could not agree more. The ONLY cache I can remember not enjoying (Out of 126 found so far.....Yeah, I'm still a rookie....) was in fact, a pill bottle in a densely wooded area. Lemme tell you.... Looking for that thing at midnight in February was NOT fun. And, we DNF'd it! +1 to you sir.

Wow, some super great ones (and FUNNY ones) so far!

My additions:

Thou shalt not cram your cache full of advertisements for your business;

Thou shalt, if possible, include a pencil (especially if your area is cold enough to freeze a pen);

Thou shalt have knowledge of what poisonous/itchy plants look like!