Oregon 200 Turn x Turn maps.. Where to get?

I just got an Oregon 200 and would like to find a destination turn x turn software. I just want to be able to pop my addy in and my destination addy... I hear there are shareware maps out there. Any idea where I might look and which are the good ones? I really don't want to pay 50 or 60 bucks for the minimal use I would use it.

thanks

I use the ones posted above on my 450, works great.

I downloaded the exe file into a folder on my hard drive from the ftp site... after getting the info in an email. I then ran the exe to extract all the files. It generated a folder with a bunch of files... img, tdb, and mdx. I grabbed all of those and tried to dump them into my OREgon after plugging it in and it ran out of room. I assume I need an micro SD card? OR am I even doing it correctly???

I downloaded the exe file into a folder on my hard drive from the ftp site... after getting the info in an email. I then ran the exe to extract all the files. It generated a folder with a bunch of files... img, tdb, and mdx. I grabbed all of those and tried to dump them into my OREgon after plugging it in and it ran out of room. I assume I need an micro SD card? OR am I even doing it correctly???

Be aware: The OSM World Routable maps for the Garmin are OK. However the routing and directions can be squirrely at times. I've tried them in the past on my 400t and found that often times roads end then restart (triggering U turns, or just plain bad directions) and sometimes the data is bad too.

They are freeware - so the price is certianly right and if you have good common sense they are fine.

If you want a reliable solution the Garmin City Navigator product may be worth the investment. Or if you don't mind slightly outdated maps the older Metroguide North American is OK too. You'll have to do a little conversion on the Metroguide maps to make them routable using a free utility called Metrowizzz (extra z's intended).

On my Oregon I use the Metrowizzz converted Metroguide 6 North American maps for routing while out caching in areas I'm familiar with. When outside my home area I bring the Nufi 255wt along with me for street level navigation (with caches loaded on the Nuvi using the Nuvi Macro in GSAK).

Another thing to consider is a refurbished in-car navigation GPSr (Nuvi 205 or similar) that can give you more up to date and dependable maps with turn by turn while in the car - of course that's not an all in one solution.

FWIW: Metroguide North American V6 can be picked up on evilBay for about $55 shipped, newer versions of Metroguide North America are also listed on eBay for slightly more $$ but still less than the $99 going rate for City Navigator NA.

Be aware: The OSM World Routable maps for the Garmin are OK. However the routing and directions can be squirrely at times. I've tried them in the past on my 400t and found that often times roads end then restart (triggering U turns, or just plain bad directions) and sometimes the data is bad too.

They are freeware - so the price is certianly right and if you have good common sense they are fine.

If you want a reliable solution the Garmin City Navigator product may be worth the investment. Or if you don't mind slightly outdated maps the older Metroguide North American is OK too. You'll have to do a little conversion on the Metroguide maps to make them routable using a free utility called Metrowizzz (extra z's intended).

On my Oregon I use the Metrowizzz converted Metroguide 6 North American maps for routing while out caching in areas I'm familiar with. When outside my home area I bring the Nufi 255wt along with me for street level navigation (with caches loaded on the Nuvi using the Nuvi Macro in GSAK).

Another thing to consider is a refurbished in-car navigation GPSr (Nuvi 205 or similar) that can give you more up to date and dependable maps with turn by turn while in the car - of course that's not an all in one solution.

FWIW: Metroguide North American V6 can be picked up on evilBay for about $55 shipped, newer versions of Metroguide North America are also listed on eBay for slightly more $$ but still less than the $99 going rate for City Navigator NA.

oook.... A bit more info to chew on... thanks.. I think! :rolleyes: Also.. Does the Oregon 200 recognize 16 GB SD cards?

I just selected the tiles I needed on the website and opened it up in MapSource. My file was small enough that it all fit on the internal memory.

Don't put any maps into the internal (Garmin) memory. Space there is at a premium with only 24 megs available. Put the maps onto your SDMicro card.

I used to have a Or200 and could not update the firmware as I had no room left after having loaded maps into the internal memory.

I had to remove those maps to update the firmware.

Use Windows Explorer (or My Computer) to access the garmin internal and MicroSD card drives. The maps are .img file extensions. Just remove (or move to Micro SD drive) the "supp" map. Leave the other .img as this is your base map..

Mapsource or Basecamp has a drop down menu that will expose the MicroSD drive.

You should rename any .img (map) files once on your unit (but keep the .img file extension), so you don't overwrite the maps when adding new maps.

Edited by mojomoto

No, they didn't include them with the unit. they come with the maps. They are available for free, just hunt around the Garmin site. Use the new version of Basecamp, but you may have to update your Windows Framework. The prompts will help.

Also check my edit on the above post, you must rename map files to avoid overwriting them with multiple map installations.

Edited by mojomoto

I still had to consult the Basecamp's Help menu to find out how to install maps. I believe it said to "left click on the drive you wish to install your maps on" but you actually have to right click. Don't get discouraged, it's O.K. :blink: I actually like being able to access the drives on the Oregon, it allows you to install custom backgrounds and put your ID on the start up page.

The Garmin Oregon Wiki has great info, much better than the crappy manual.

Edited by mojomoto

Wow... got away cheap.. no Windows Updates. OK.. seemed to open up ok ... I have a few downloaded area maps, .img files. How do I load my .img files I downloaded into this software? Looked at Import.. nope...

o wait... looks like it loaded them from my folder I had placed them in. I guess...

Edited by frogwash

You must export your maps into your unit. Mapsource and Basecamp create .img files from the tiles you choose from your map product, which you then export to your SDMicro card. If you already have .img files you just move the file (drag and drop/ cut and paste/ whatever)into the MicroSD folder.

Garmin Basecamp... ver. 3.0.2. Terrible help with the product. Help is typically written by those who use and know the software and assume everyone else knows what they know... they figure all you need to know is what the icon you are pointing to is named... rediculous. Then they use acronyms with no legend for those acronyms... what is OSM?