Loging w/o photos - OK?

cheerose

Hi all...

I've been out of the "sport" of GeoCaching for about a year...yeah, shame on me, I know. However, I've decided to get back into it and/or Benchmark Hunting as well.

I have one question about finding/logging Benchmarks. Do you guys consider a found BM w/o photos less "ok" than one that has photos? I realize that I can post a find w/o photos... but I also realize that having photos of the BM and area makes the find "more interesting".

Thanks,

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by jshort:

I have one question about finding/logging Benchmarks. Do you guys consider a found BM w/o photos less "ok" than one that has photos?

Jeff

I dont know about anyone else, but to me, a Find is a Find! Photos or no photos. Sure, Ill post a photo of a BM disk if I can take one, but its no less a positive find if I dont.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

I find for myself that I prefer to have a photo of the area of all my benchmarks. I am less happy with a find that has no pictorial value. Probably because I'm a photographer. I also enjoy looking through the photo album link on the benchmark page to see where people have been . For instance the picture of the team atop the Tetons with a picture of the benchmark. Now that's dedication. That said a find is a find if you are happy with it.

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

I suppose everyone prefers to see photos with a log, but it's certainly a legit find without the pix.

It's not a matter of authenticating your find. We trust you, and I'm not aware of anyone falsifying their finds. (Nothing to stop you, of course, except your own sense of honesty and ethics.) But for prospective visitors and just plain voyeurs, it's obviously more interesting to see where you've been, rather than just reading about it. It's fun to browse the gallery, too.

Although I normally post a couple of pictures with my benchmark entries, I have logged some finds without pictures, and that doesn't make them any less real or official or valid. And of course, I was actually there. To erase any doubt, be sure you add sufficient detail to your report, stuff you wouldn't know if you hadn't been there.

I also think it would be unfair to penalize those who, for whatever reason don't have a digital camera or prefer not to take or upload the pictures. One of the nice things about benchmark hunting is that it is available to those without GPS gear, since directions to the marks are given with respect to physical landmarks

I personally am out to be the first to photograph a benchmark. If I see a benchmark that already has photos posted, I won't 'find' that one. If I see a benchmark that has been found, but there are no photographs, I'll go ahead and 'find' that one. The photos give validity to the find (much like they do for virtual caches, which is why they are usually required). They also show the condition of the mark as of that date.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by ArtMan:

One of the nice things about benchmark hunting is that it is available to those without GPS gear, since directions to the marks are given with respect to physical landmarks

I learned early on that the GPS is darn near useless and misleading for finding the benchmark. It's value is in recording the current location. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
I learned early on that the GPS is darn near useless and misleading for finding the benchmark. It's value is in recording the current location.

I guess I concur.....I've only been benching for about 2 months, but I find I use the GPS map to get me in the general area, then I use the datasheet to get me to the benchmark, then the GPS just to check coords.

I have to say, I logged a couple marks without pics, as I didnt have time to download them from the camera, and compress them, then add them to the log....I will be going back and editing my log to add them soon.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

For my dime the photography is the reason to hunt benchmarks, but, that's bacause I enjoy taking the pictures as well as having a reason to visit some interesting places.

I expect there will be some turkeys who will log every mark they ever drove by and I hope that dosen't diminish the sport and fun for everyone else.

I would, however, like to see the site present the correct Log entry when a picture is selected from the Gallery. Currently my pictures (from the 2nd logged visit) bring up the Log Entry from the first visitor who did not provide pictures.

Happy hunting!