Zeroing in on Cache with new Oregon 550

s2kdude

So as my topic says I noticed that with my GPS I have been "off" the cache anywhere from 5 to 20 feet. I'm thinking it is either a problem with GPS, or the cache cords are off? Is this normal for a GPS? Am I expecting too much from my device?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.. :lol:

I'd say its combination of a geocaching and a GPS thing. Remember your at the mercy of the cache owner that placed it and generated the coords to it whereabouts. There are always going to be a slight variations between units. The bigger the groups you cache with you'll always hear a couple people say wow the coords were way off, while others say they read 2 ft.

So as my topic says I noticed that with my GPS I have been "off" the cache anywhere from 5 to 20 feet. I'm thinking it is either a problem with GPS, or the cache cords are off? Is this normal for a GPS? Am I expecting too much from my device?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.. :)

5 to 20 feet is well within the normal range. You have to also take into consideration the coordinates as obtained by the cache hider. Don't forget those birds are a long ways off and those signals have to travel through all sorts of obstructions such as clouds, dust, bushes etc. My rule of thumb is when I get within 20 to 30 feet I quit looking at the GPS and concentrate on finding the cache...