what do you do if you can't reach the cache?

I know it is unfair but that is part of geocaching. If you don't sign the log you shouldn't log it as found. Or it would fall under what some cachers do. Pull up to a park with the gates closed and just log all the caches in the park because you couldn't get to them.

I'd like a little more evidence of the find - a photo of the cache, a good description of the cache and where it was.

Most folks in this game expect that you will sign the log on their cache to claim a find. If they have located the cache up high, then it is their intention that you will find a way to retrieve the cache, sign the log, and replace it back where it belongs. That is part of the hide.

This may require a 2nd trip back with something to climb on, or you may find yourself in the position where you need to climb a tree for the find. Logging it as a find when you don't retreive the cache and sign the log will disappoint most cache owners because they put it up there for a reason. They expect people to have to do whatever they did to get up there to hide it.

You can log finds on these if you want to without signing the cache log, but I think most cache owners that hide caches like this expect you to have to get the cache down to log your find on it. You may find that some cache owners let it ride when you log their cache like this but they also know that all the other cachers in the area will see the log noting how lame the find was when it wasn't retreived or the log signed. Others will think it is lame when they have all gone to the trouble of climbing or coming back for a 2nd visit with something to stand on and they see someone claiming a find just because they can see the cache from the ground.

My wife is very short and this comes up sometimes with us. Think about it from a short person's perspective. You are short. You see a cache out of reach. You go to what you feel are extraordinary measures to climb something, maybe make a 2nd trip back with something to climb in order to conquer that challenge and finally get the cache, log your find, and place it back. You proudly log your find, feeling that you have accomplished a challenge, only to see the last log on the cache page that says someone saw it from the ground and decided that was good enough to log a find. Having made your accomplishment, it would only be natural for you to think that the log from the person who was too inconvenienced to do what was needed to log the cache was very cheesy.

If you can't reach the cache, use a hiking stick, climb a tree, or bring something back with you to climb. I have even moved my jeep underneath a cache for something to climb on before. Retreiving the cache, signing the log, and replacing it back where it belongs is part of the challenge of these type of hides.

If a cache is out of arms reach for me, I view working out ways to retrieve it is all part of the caching experience.

THANK YOU. I glad we have a few reasonable responses here instead of some trying to force us to accomodate the vocal few. You cache at your own risk and katie w's post is perfect.

I'm sure I'll get a little flack for this, but this is meant to be a game that brings about personal satisfaction, right? It's meant to be fun, correct?

If you're in a situation where you see the cache and there's no doubt about it that THAT is the cache, I don't see where it's so bad that you log the find. It's called geocaching, not geosigning. I've found a cache were the log was a soaked wad of goo and completely un-signable. It doesn't mean that I didn't find it. IMHO, do whatever makes you happy and lets you sleep in peace at night.

Now, if you're in a race or challenge, the rules might be a little different and more strict.

Again, consider high terrain caches.. I CAN see the cache 80' up there on the cliff but I am too much of a [FILL IN THE BLANK] to go get it. I think I'll just log it anyway and get credit for a 5-star terrain cache. Silly that you should get credit for a 5-star terrain cache, isn't it.

Open up a new account and troll..

The OPs profile showes almost 100 finds, not quite a sock pupet...

Anyway, When placing a moving cache in a tree, I swung my backpack over a branch, and used the arm straps for handels. I then did a pull up (with feet assist on the tree trunk), grabed the branch, and pulled myself over, then up.

You may have to be creative, but there usualy is a way. It would be nice for the CO to mention the hight in the hint or something. I know for this tree placment I described, I said that a climbing device would be needed.

If a cache is out of arms reach for me, I view working out ways to retrieve it is all part of the caching experience.

THANK YOU. I glad we have a few reasonable responses here instead of some trying to force us to accomodate the vocal few. You cache at your own risk and katie w's post is perfect.

Fine, but just mention it in the cache description so shorter people don't trek out there without a reaching device or can decide they'll skip the challenge.

I'm sure I'll get a little flack for this, but this is meant to be a game that brings about personal satisfaction, right? It's meant to be fun, correct?

If you're in a situation where you see the cache and there's no doubt about it that THAT is the cache, I don't see where it's so bad that you log the find. It's called geocaching, not geosigning. I've found a cache were the log was a soaked wad of goo and completely un-signable. It doesn't mean that I didn't find it. IMHO, do whatever makes you happy and lets you sleep in peace at night.

Now, if you're in a race or challenge, the rules might be a little different and more strict.

Again, consider high terrain caches.. I CAN see the cache 80' up there on the cliff but I am too much of a [FILL IN THE BLANK] to go get it. I think I'll just log it anyway and get credit for a 5-star terrain cache. Silly that you should get credit for a 5-star terrain cache, isn't it.

Again, fine, if it's rated properly. Sometimes though, it's placed high because the CO is tall and gives the cache a terrain of 2.

Fine, but just mention it in the cache description so shorter people don't trek out there without a reaching device or can decide they'll skip the challenge.

Just read the logs!!!!

Hi FroggysMummy,

You'll find dang near as many answers to that question as there are geocachers. None of the answers you read are chiseled in stone as being "The Correct Way To Cache". You'll have to decide for yourself what is acceptable, to you, and what is not. For instance, I have two absolutely opposing views regarding caches I own vs caches I hunt. For those caches I own, I am about as laid back as a person can be and still maintain a pulse. I've never deleted a find, nor do I ever intend to. Whatever the seekers feel is acceptable is OK by me. However, for caches I hunt, I am far stricter. I will not log a find on a cache which does not bear my signature. I figure if it's out of reach, I need to look at it as a challenge, and figure out how to get my paws on it. In fact, I am so anal about my finds that, on a recent group hunt, we went after one that was way up in a tree. I'm pretty good at tree climbing, but in this case, the lower branches, combined with my blown out knee, prevented me from making the ascent. Several other cachers zipped up the tree, and at one point the log was passed down to me. I signed it for grins & giggles, then passed it back up. I logged that one as a note. Some day I will return and face the challenge, reaching the cache. At that point I'll log a find.

Open up a new account and troll..

The OPs profile showes almost 100 finds, not quite a sock pupet...

Anyway, When placing a moving cache in a tree, I swung my backpack over a branch, and used the arm straps for handels. I then did a pull up (with feet assist on the tree trunk), grabed the branch, and pulled myself over, then up.

You may have to be creative, but there usualy is a way. It would be nice for the CO to mention the hight in the hint or something. I know for this tree placment I described, I said that a climbing device would be needed.

For the record, My post was misplaced but I do apologize anyway. It wasn't pointed at the OP.

It was just aimed at people that do such things.

Even I can see how some might have thought I had inferred it was directed at the OP and should have edited it , but by the time I realized what I had done my post had already been pointed out so it would have made me look even worse to remove it at that time.

Again, I offer my apologies to the OP and will take more care in the future to make my posts more clear.

I have a cache that is in plain view from a nearby trail, but high in a tree on an island 100 meters away. So anyone that walks the trail and happens to see it should be able to record a find? I don't agree and have deleted one log so far for exactly that reason.

Hi there,

I'm only 5foot tall and have just had my 8th cnr (could not reach). Having taken a bit of flak for logging as found a cache that i couldn't sign cos i couldn't reach I wonder what other shorties do?

If i am certain I've seen it (e.g. a nano on the back of a tall roadsign) then as far as I'm concerned I've found it. I have discovered its a bad idea to knock it off cos then I can't get it back (and with a nano you risk losing it).

If i think i know where it is, but haven't seen the actual cache I don't log it. yesterday there was one wich i'm sure for the clue, is hidden in the rim around a tall gateway structure. Didn't actually see it, so didn't log it.

So, shorties, apart from finding a tall person, what do you do?

I don't log it. I have a cache called the "Baddy Baddy Tall Boy" (GC21K02). I specifically designed THAT cache and placed it so that NO ONE could reach it from just standing on the ground and reaching up. I probably should increase the difficulty level, but no one has asked me to yet. If someone did, or a reviewer asked me too I wouldn't have a problem with rasing the terrain or difficulty.

Lets just say where this is located, you need to find something to STAND on. If you got here you probably have the PERFECT "Tool" to stand on to get the cache.

There are many many other CO's who do this as well. Design the cache so that you have to USE some form or tool, or device to get the cache. Remember. That the CO had to PLACE the cache in the first place. So if the CO can get it placed, it means there IS a way to get to it.

So IMHO, if you can't get to the log to sign it, then you can't officially call it found!

TGC

I have a cache called the "Baddy Baddy Tall Boy" (GC21K02). I specifically designed THAT cache and placed it so that NO ONE could reach it from just standing on the ground and reaching up. I probably should increase the difficulty level, but no one has asked me to yet. If someone did, or a reviewer asked me too I wouldn't have a problem with rasing the terrain or difficulty.

Lets just say where this is located, you need to find something to STAND on. If you got here you probably have the PERFECT "Tool" to stand on to get the cache.

I think this cache is fine because you spell out what to expect in the description and the clue - it's really small, attached, rated high for difficulty and terrain and implies that it's way up a tree and that you may need to climb atop a car to get it. Plus you say "... I will give forewarning, all "Found" log entries that don't have a physically signed log will be deleted." Can't say you didn't warn anyone.

There is a guy in my area who seems to feel that if there are muggles around he just logs a fine because he doesn't want to create suspicion. That really tics me off because I will wait or leave and return later to check and or find the cache. There has to be some kind of rules, otherwise what stops me from thinking well my GPSR say's I'm here so I'll log the find. I feel the log is there to prove you found the cache! Yes I've found caches with wet logs and I carry a pack with tott in it, many other people do too, we sign a paper and put it in the cache. With the many sizes and shapes and peoples ingenuity how can anyone say they have positively found a cache unless they find a log and how can they prove they found it unless they sign it. Then again if it's not necessary to sign the log book why is it necessary to say you found it? Just my 2 cents.

There is a guy in my area who seems to feel that if there are muggles around he just logs a fine because he doesn't want to create suspicion. That really tics me off because I will wait or leave and return later to check and or find the cache. There has to be some kind of rules, otherwise what stops me from thinking well my GPSR say's I'm here so I'll log the find. I feel the log is there to prove you found the cache! Yes I've found caches with wet logs and I carry a pack with tott in it, many other people do too, we sign a paper and put it in the cache. With the many sizes and shapes and peoples ingenuity how can anyone say they have positively found a cache unless they find a log and how can they prove they found it unless they sign it. Then again if it's not necessary to sign the log book why is it necessary to say you found it? Just my 2 cents.

If it is your cache, you can do something about it. From the guidelines:

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Outside of it being your cache, there is little or nothing you can do.

There is a guy in my area who seems to feel that if there are muggles around he just logs a fine because he doesn't want to create suspicion.

Nothing wrong with that. It's not how I play, nor is it how I recommend others play, but it isn't a sin.

Guideline violation? Probably. Something to get worked up over? Nah.

That really tics me off because I will wait or leave and return later to check and or find the cache.

Kewl! I do too. But I don't get ticked off at how others play a game. I'm not a fan of allowing others to dictate my emotions.

...what stops me from thinking well my GPSR say's I'm here so I'll log the find.

Nothing. Other than your own sense of right/wrong. And you knowing that many of those logs will get deleted.

I feel the log is there to prove you found the cache!

Agreed!

Just my 2 cents.

And a fine $0.02 it was! :ph34r:

If the CO puts it high he should list something on the CP that would give indication as to needing tools to complete it. Such as "Supplies from Above". I carry a walking stick with me when out caching and it has helped me many times. But, I don't think others should have to carry buckets, step stools, or ladders with them just to get a "Find". If you can't reach it somehow just skip it and move on. Cross that one off of your list and don't go back. I would definitely write a note to the CO and explain what happened. I am 6'2" and have hidden a number of caches. I am always considerate of those who are not as tall as me, and I also think of the kids who are out there trying to enjoy themselves. One of my first caches was totally soaked and I was not able to sign it. I did not log it as a find even though I did find it. At that time I did not know about replacing the log with a dry one. The more I think about it I would not want to replace a wet log because if it is wet then there is something wrong with the cache and the CO needs to take care of it. Also, I have found it is really helpful to READ, READ, READ, the previous logs of others. Also, check back on the CP once in a while of caches you have not found. I had been looking for one for quite some time and finally found it and when I went to log it in I found out it had been archived. I contacted the CO and he told me to log it as a find because he had not had a chance to remove it yet. Good luck.

crickey didn't realise this would be so contentious.

For the record I do NOT record as found any caches that i couldn't see/get to/have a go at due to mugglers, i go back later. i return to muddy caches with wellies (now permanent feature in car) nor do i log finds that i couldn't get due to a plant related phobia as i know i can come back in autumn/winter for that. I'm not going to grow though...and i get the point with the tree/cliff caches etc but all the ones i see like that do not have a single starred difficulty rating as the ones i'm writng about did.

I have taken to emailing cache owners which date/time/location and a description and ALL have been happy to go and sign the log on my behalf [:P]

now have a folding step stool in the van and have started on my own multi cache for shorties

How about a walking stick with a really strong magnet on the top? Of course you couldn’t get an ammo can down with that, but it might work for a nano that is just out of reach. As long as the magnet is stronger than the one on the nano. My husband has one of those things to help you reach things that are too high or on the ground when you aren’t allowed to bend over (He had both hips replaced and used it after his surgeries) and one of those would work well too. Maybe I should put his in the car just incase. So far I haven’t had to climb for any and I think only 1 would have been out of reach of my 2 year old, so I’ve been lucky. I don’t know how I’m going to handle one that’s up something I can’t scale my best thought would be to knock it down and then tie a fishing line to it and toss it back up until it stuck. But my plan doesn’t include getting the line back off. LOL Sorry I'm not more help. But good luck.

I use my husband's grabber when he's with us, its also good for reaching into nettles

I know it is unfair but that is part of geocaching. If you don't sign the log you shouldn't log it as found. Or it would fall under what some cachers do. Pull up to a park with the gates closed and just log all the caches in the park because you couldn't get to them.

I'd like a little more evidence of the find - a photo of the cache, a good description of the cache and where it was.

see my latest post....i too agree you shouldn't sign just co you're in the area...

There is a guy in my area who seems to feel that if there are muggles around he just logs a fine because he doesn't want to create suspicion.

Nothing wrong with that. It's not how I play, nor is it how I recommend others play, but it isn't a sin.

That really tics me off because I will wait or leave and return later to check and or find the cache.

Kewl! I do too. But I don't get ticked off at how others play a game. I'm not a fan of allowing others to dictate my emotions.

...what stops me from thinking well my GPSR say's I'm here so I'll log the find.

Nothing. Other than your own sense of right/wrong. And you knowing that many of those logs will get deleted.

Agreed!

Just my 2 cents.

And a fine $0.02 it was! :P

As said in my recent post i do not record as found a cache i haven't signed in any other circs...(presence of mugglers etc) and i do not sign just cos my gps says I'm there.i now email the cache owners with time/date/description/location and ALL are happy for me to claim it ALL have offered to sign on my behalf and ALL are a lot more sympathetic and less judgemental then you lot. I only wanted some advice so's i could genuinely sign these too.

Bear in mind the caches i refer to are all on road signs or similar, all with a rating of 1 for both terrain and difficulty.

Thanks to all those people who have suggested folding stools/grabbers etc. That is why i posted this topic not to start a debate on what consitutes a find.

Edited by froggysmummy

Agreed!

Just my 2 cents.

And a fine $0.02 it was! :P

As said in my recent post i do not record as found a cache i haven't signed in any other circs...(presence of mugglers etc) and i do not sign just cos my gps says I'm there.

if i truly can't reach now email the cache owners with time/date/description/location and ALL are happy for me to claim it ALL have offered to sign on my behalf and ALL are a lot more sympathetic and less judgemental then some of you lot.Some have even addmitted it hadn't occured to them that people might not be able to reach and have moved it.I only wanted some advice so's i could genuinely sign these too.

Bear in mind the caches i refer to are all on road signs or similar, all with a rating of 1 for both terrain and difficulty. all were intended as cache an grabs.

Thank you all those people who made nice suggestions such as carrying a folding stool and a grabber. now do both. all i wanted was to pick peoples' brains for ideas, not an assualt on my honesty.

Edited by froggysmummy

I have a cache that is in plain view from a nearby trail, but high in a tree on an island 100 meters away. So anyone that walks the trail and happens to see it should be able to record a find? I don't agree and have deleted one log so far for exactly that reason.

not quite the same as not being able to reach a cache on a road sign with a rating of 1 for difficulty and terrain and intended as a commuter's cache and grab...which is the case in the ones on my original post. have emailed owners, didn't occur to them it was a prob, they hadn't intended it to be difficult, they've agreed to a) sign it for me and b)put it lower down.

yep, if its in a tree and on an island i'd expect them to actually go there too...not the same

I have a cache called the "Baddy Baddy Tall Boy" (GC21K02). I specifically designed THAT cache and placed it so that NO ONE could reach it from just standing on the ground and reaching up. I probably should increase the difficulty level, but no one has asked me to yet. If someone did, or a reviewer asked me too I wouldn't have a problem with rasing the terrain or difficulty.

I think this cache is fine because you spell out what to expect in the description and the clue - it's really small, attached, rated high for difficulty and terrain and implies that it's way up a tree and that you may need to climb atop a car to get it. Plus you say "... I will give forewarning, all "Found" log entries that don't have a physically signed log will be deleted." Can't say you didn't warn anyone.

i agree and i wouldn't sign this either. the caches in question all were supposed to be cache and dash and all the owners have agreed to sign it for me as i have now emailed them with date/time etc

Hi FroggysMummy,

You'll find dang near as many answers to that question as there are geocachers. None of the answers you read are chiseled in stone as being "The Correct Way To Cache". You'll have to decide for yourself what is acceptable, to you, and what is not. For instance, I have two absolutely opposing views regarding caches I own vs caches I hunt. For those caches I own, I am about as laid back as a person can be and still maintain a pulse. I've never deleted a find, nor do I ever intend to. Whatever the seekers feel is acceptable is OK by me. However, for caches I hunt, I am far stricter. I will not log a find on a cache which does not bear my signature. I figure if it's out of reach, I need to look at it as a challenge, and figure out how to get my paws on it. In fact, I am so anal about my finds that, on a recent group hunt, we went after one that was way up in a tree. I'm pretty good at tree climbing, but in this case, the lower branches, combined with my blown out knee, prevented me from making the ascent. Several other cachers zipped up the tree, and at one point the log was passed down to me. I signed it for grins & giggles, then passed it back up. I logged that one as a note. Some day I will return and face the challenge, reaching the cache. At that point I'll log a find.

thank you for your nice reply. some of the replies i've had on this were quite judgemental, all i wanted was advice so i could genuinely sign these ones (which were all supposed to be easy cache and dashes). i've never logged a find i couldn't get in any other circs. it really depends on whether the owner intends it to be difficult and these were not.

For the record i now carry a folding stool but have emailed the owners (all local cachers) and they are more then happy to sign on my behalf if i give date/time etc as they hadn't intended them to be difficult.

there's a difference between a high terrain cache and one with a rating of 1 intended as a cache and grab. I've since emailed owners with date time description and they've signed it for me...thankfully they are less jugdemental. i stress again i only wanted advice so i cAN sign these genuinely. Thanks to the nice people who took it that way. some of you are downright judgemental, thankfully the cachers i've come to know thrpough this game are nicer

Most folks in this game expect that you will sign the log on their cache to claim a find. If they have located the cache up high, then it is their intention that you will find a way to retrieve the cache, sign the log, and replace it back where it belongs. That is part of the hide.

This may require a 2nd trip back with something to climb on, or you may find yourself in the position where you need to climb a tree for the find. Logging it as a find when you don't retreive the cache and sign the log will disappoint most cache owners because they put it up there for a reason. They expect people to have to do whatever they did to get up there to hide it.

You can log finds on these if you want to without signing the cache log, but I think most cache owners that hide caches like this expect you to have to get the cache down to log your find on it. You may find that some cache owners let it ride when you log their cache like this but they also know that all the other cachers in the area will see the log noting how lame the find was when it wasn't retreived or the log signed. Others will think it is lame when they have all gone to the trouble of climbing or coming back for a 2nd visit with something to stand on and they see someone claiming a find just because they can see the cache from the ground.

My wife is very short and this comes up sometimes with us. Think about it from a short person's perspective. You are short. You see a cache out of reach. You go to what you feel are extraordinary measures to climb something, maybe make a 2nd trip back with something to climb in order to conquer that challenge and finally get the cache, log your find, and place it back. You proudly log your find, feeling that you have accomplished a challenge, only to see the last log on the cache page that says someone saw it from the ground and decided that was good enough to log a find. Having made your accomplishment, it would only be natural for you to think that the log from the person who was too inconvenienced to do what was needed to log the cache was very cheesy.

If you can't reach the cache, use a hiking stick, climb a tree, or bring something back with you to climb. I have even moved my jeep underneath a cache for something to climb on before. Retreiving the cache, signing the log, and replacing it back where it belongs is part of the challenge of these type of hides.

again i feel i've been misunderstood. the cache owners of my cnr have been contacted by email and have signed for me. the caches in question were intended to be easy cache and grabs. all i wanted was advice on what others do so i can genuinely sign the log

Bring a step ladder? :P

For a tree you could climb it, wouldnt climb a roadsign, but i dont think cache should be being placed on road signs in the first place...

they often are on signs round here and are intended as cache and grabs, though they are often part of a puzzle or multi

now have a folding stool [:D]

There have been a few instances where I couldn't reach a cache. In one case I came back with a chair to stand on, in another I came back with my niece on my shoulders and had her grab it. In another I took two trekking poles, used duct taped to create one long pole and stood on the roof of my car to reach the cache.

There is always a way.

thank you for (unlike others) posting sensible and non judemental advice. now have a folding stool and borrow my disabled hubby's grabber

I am 5'4'' so I am kinda short- but I am very strong so climbing is easy for me. I like difficult terrain because there is usually climbing involved.

As for annoyingly high micros I can bring a folding grabber to retrieve and replace the cache. (if you just have a stick it might not be possible to put it back properly)

again thanks for advice as that is what i asked for...its the annoying micros and nanos that are the prob, and they are all classed as easy by the owners! but i've found if i email them it hadn't occured to them that people might not reach..

I know it is unfair but that is part of geocaching. If you don't sign the log you shouldn't log it as found. Or it would fall under what some cachers do. Pull up to a park with the gates closed and just log all the caches in the park because you couldn't get to them. Unfair yes that is why you come back and actually get the caches and sign them or skip it all together. There are over a million caches out there you can always find a different one.

Or get a pole, grabby stick, step ladder and be prepared next time.

I was going for a cache and when I got there I couldn't find it, then I get a notification about another cacher who had tried it. They said they needed a long tool. I looked up and saw it. Tried to climb the tree but still couldn't reach it. Just then a fellow cacher called and asked if I was doing that cache and if I needed help to get it. Yes a pole. He brought it and we were FTF. I now carry one in my car. They are great for returning them to their location too.

i'm busy saying thanks to all the people who offered good advice rather then slating me, thank you. now have folding stool and borrow my disabled hubby's grabber so can get em

for the record all cache owners have agreed to sign for me as i emailed them descriptions and they were very understanding (caches in question were all supposed to be easy) and have signed for me. i do NOT log caches i have NOT found

I get something or someone to stand on or use a stick or grabber tool. I won't claim a find on something I saw, but didn't sign the log for. YMMV

Some cachers carry more gear than others. Some refer to these as TOTT-tool of the trade.

You will develop the tool set that suits your caching style and the types of hides in your area over time.

i'm just saying thanks to people who gave good advice so, thanks. think i was misunderstood as people have made me out to be a lazy cacher who doesn't sign logs and logs finds cos i was around the area. I do not do that,and i wanted advice so's i could get these supposedly easy cache and grabs and sign 'em. so again thanks

I'm about 6' 2" and there have been several caches over the years that required a bit of inventivness for me to grab as well. My hiking staff has served me well but I've gone off to get a step ladder, I've duck taped a few sticks together, used an old broom handle I found nearby, used a wire hanger to fashion a hook etc...

If I can't retrieve the cache and open it to sign the log - that is a 'DNF' for me.

there's a difference between a dnf on a cache that was intended to be hard and a nano on a signpost and supposed to be a cache and grab, with a rating of 1.

for the record i now carry a folding stool and use my husband's grabber when he's with me (til i get one of my own) I have emailed the cache owners with time / date etc who have either okayed it or signed on my behalf.

I feel my intentions were misunderstood. i wanted advice so's i could sign these EASY caches. now i'm suitably equipped i can [:P]

Hi there,

I'm only 5foot tall and have just had my 8th cnr (could not reach). Having taken a bit of flak for logging as found a cache that i couldn't sign cos i couldn't reach I wonder what other shorties do?

If i am certain I've seen it (e.g. a nano on the back of a tall roadsign) then as far as I'm concerned I've found it. I have discovered its a bad idea to knock it off cos then I can't get it back (and with a nano you risk losing it).

If i think i know where it is, but haven't seen the actual cache I don't log it. yesterday there was one wich i'm sure for the clue, is hidden in the rim around a tall gateway structure. Didn't actually see it, so didn't log it.

I have the same problem.

I'm only 5 feet 11 inches - and find there are some caches around here that I just can't reach without climbing.

There are also some really tricky puzzles nearby that I haven't been able to solve because I'm not smart enough!

If I can't be bothered to climb to get them, or I can't work out th e puzzle, I don't log them.

i asked for advice, not sarcasm.ok i should have been clearer, i wanted to know how short people reach these so that they CAN sign. i think you will find that any caches requiring climbing do not come with a rating of 1 for ease /access as these did cos they were all nanos on signs and intended as easy cache and dashes for commuters on a busy road i use often

thankfully the cache owners have been more sympathetic and agreed to sign for me after i emailed dates times and descriptions.

Hi there,

I only asked for advice....

ok its a while since i posted this and I've since come up with my own solutions (folding stool, grabber, emailing the cache owners with time date etc). Thank you for all those kind people who made similar suggestions, esp like the idea of carrying duct tape so i can tape sticks together.

just to clarify a few points

1) i am not one of those cachers who claim caches just cos my gps said it was there. There's 2 i've been back to three times and still haven't got. V frustrating as other people are finding em. There's another i can't get near for muggle reasons. one day it will be quiet enough as i drive past.... I've also set up one of my own that's difficult for muggle reasons. nor have i logged a puzzle one that i (still)haven't solved

2) i have since emailed the owners who were happy to sign for me as it hadn't even occured to them that people might not reach

3)there is no comparision with a cache that involves a mountain trek/boat/scuba dive/quad bike/climbing gear etc and these which were cache and grabs with a rating of one which were intended to be easy.

Some of you have been quite judgemental, i'm glad i've already discovered that most of the cachers I've met are not. They are nice, kind, helpful and considerate. Like me they have taken this up because they enjoy the satisfaction of finding them, enjoy the country side and/or want to get their kids interested in the outdoors.

After this experience i won't be asking for advice here again...I will stick to my new local caching friends

Hi there,

ok its a while since i posted this and I've since come up with my own solutions (folding stool, grabber, emailing the cache owners with time date etc). Thank you for all those kind people who made similar suggestions, esp like the idea of carrying duct tape so i can tape sticks together.

just to clarify a few points

1) i am not one of those cachers who claim caches just cos my gps said it was there. There's 2 i've been back to three times and still haven't got. V frustrating as other people are finding em. There's another i can't get near for muggle reasons. one day it will be quiet enough as i drive past.... I've also set up one of my own that's difficult for muggle reasons. nor have i logged a puzzle one that i (still)haven't solved

2) i have since emailed the owners who were happy to sign for me as it hadn't even occured to them that people might not reach

3)there is no comparision with a cache that involves a mountain trek/boat/scuba dive/quad bike/climbing gear etc and these which were cache and grabs with a rating of one which were intended to be easy.

Some of you have been quite judgemental, i'm glad i've already discovered that most of the cachers I've met are not. They are nice, kind, helpful and considerate. Like me they have taken this up because they enjoy the satisfaction of finding them, enjoy the country side and/or want to get their kids interested in the outdoors.

After this experience i won't be asking for advice here again...I will stick to my new local caching friends

Sorry to hear a few bad apples have put you off the forums.

Finding the cache is often a challenge, even for me at 6'2". Could come a day where I can't bend my knees without staying down, though I lost some weight which has helped them a bit. I know I'm guilty of placing a couple which require some height. The best advice I can offer is talk a tall friend into geocaching (the more the merrier!) and have them make the grab.

Best of luck in future!

If you lurk about in the shadows, you'll see that these forums are great places to get answers, however the threads usually don't fade away once all the reasonable advice has been posted. Threads tend to take on a life of their own, which brings out all sorts of folks, from those who absolutely must argue every conceivable point, of every single topic, to those who take any opportunity to inject humor, to those who do naught but spew vitriol. If you stick around, you'll learn who does what. :D

I can see the money in the bank teller's drawer, but that doesn't make it mine.

I once hunted a cache that was 25 feet up a lightpole. I could clearly see it, and I might have been able to knock it down. I wouldn't have been able to replace it. Normally I would have gone home and come back with a ladder, but I was 1600 miles from home.

Bottom line: No sign, no find. But, use some creativity and you may well be able to sign.

Hi there,

Sounds like you are "Vertically Challenged" bottom line if you can't sign the physical log, then you should not log it online as a find........that is of course unless you contact the CO and they say you can log it anyway then it's ok.

Scubasonic

.....On road signs I kneel at the base and then she stands on my knee. It works for us, of course we get funny looks but no one ever actually has 'busted' us for it.

If you're kneeling, and she's "standing" on your knees, I'm picturing you down in a supplicating position in front of a cache, with your partner prostrate on the ground in front of you, her feet on your knees.

I think this may be where the funny looks are coming from....