GPSMap 60csx Routing Opetions

wrtiii

So played with it a little tonight but not sure what is most efficient or differences between.. noticed lately gps takes me completly different routes to certain places than the routes than 90% of the general population use.

Like to get down to one area I know that everyone from work goes east first hits the main highway and goes south on it. gps wants me to go south first and then east. I'm not really sure which is most effcient route or not as of yet.

So at any rate What's the best setup...

Guidance Method OnRoad/OffRoad/Prompted -- I set this to prompted because that way I can GOTO cache via OnRoad method then once I park and get out of car I go Menu --> ReCalc --> OffRoad.

Follow Road Method Prompted/Faster Time/Shorter Distance -- I am not sure which would be best to use.. What does this take into account? Which option is most efficient? What does everyone else use?? I've tried both and over a day's use notice no real difference between them.

Off Route Recalcuation prompted/auto/off - What is this for?

Calc Method quickest/quick/better/best - I assume this just affects calc time each time it has tcalc a route? I've set it to best cause I'd rather wait a few seconds more than have a half a** route? Any thoughts?

Calc Routes For: Car/Motorcycle? Truck? Taxi? Delivery? What in the world is the difference between all these? Will Car/Motercycle avoid dirt roads but Truck will take you down them? Or will truck include farmers paths or take you through fields? Why would a taxi take a different route than me? I would hope a taxi would take the most efficient route, but I want to take the most efficient as well? So what is different betwee Car and Taxi settings... they are both cars....

I can understand pedestrian setting .. car / pedestrian ... so long as when on ped. mode it acts in accordance with the fact that your on the sidewalk and not in the middle of the intersection.. at least Ihope that's how it would change it?

Does ped. mode take into account foot bridges across rivers and walking paths between homes?

Looking forward to some new knowledge.

Thanks in advance

~wrtiii

So played with it a little tonight but not sure what is most efficient or differences between.. noticed lately gps takes me completly different routes to certain places than the routes than 90% of the general population use.

Like to get down to one area I know that everyone from work goes east first hits the main highway and goes south on it. gps wants me to go south first and then east. I'm not really sure which is most effcient route or not as of yet.

So at any rate What's the best setup...

Guidance Method OnRoad/OffRoad/Prompted -- I set this to prompted because that way I can GOTO cache via OnRoad method then once I park and get out of car I go Menu --> ReCalc --> OffRoad.

I use prompted for this for the same reason you do.

Follow Road Method Prompted/Faster Time/Shorter Distance -- I am not sure which would be best to use.. What does this take into account? Which option is most efficient? What does everyone else use?? I've tried both and over a day's use notice no real difference between them.

Faster time will generally put you on highways if available while shortest route is just that, the shortest distance to your destination, without regard to things like speed limits, traffic lights, dirt roads etc. I've used shortest route to get me out of traffic when on the highway, but ususally have it set to faster time.

Off Route Recalcuation prompted/auto/off - What is this for?

If you miss a turn the unit will recalculate your route. I use auto so it automatically recalculates. Not sure why anybody would use "off".

Calc Method quickest/quick/better/best - I assume this just affects calc time each time it has tcalc a route? I've set it to best cause I'd rather wait a few seconds more than have a half a** route? Any thoughts?

That is exactly what it does. I have mine set to best

Calc Routes For: Car/Motorcycle? Truck? Taxi? Delivery? What in the world is the difference between all these? Will Car/Motercycle avoid dirt roads but Truck will take you down them? Or will truck include farmers paths or take you through fields? Why would a taxi take a different route than me? I would hope a taxi would take the most efficient route, but I want to take the most efficient as well? So what is different betwee Car and Taxi settings... they are both cars....

I can understand pedestrian setting .. car / pedestrian ... so long as when on ped. mode it acts in accordance with the fact that your on the sidewalk and not in the middle of the intersection.. at least Ihope that's how it would change it?

There are roads that don't allow trucks and in some cities the hours for deliveries are restricted. I assume that if you set your unit to truck it will avoid those roads where trucks are not allowed. I'm not sure how it handles deliveries.

Does ped. mode take into account foot bridges across rivers and walking paths between homes?

No, pedestrian mode will show you a straight line to your destination. Foot bridges, sidewalks, trails etc are not considered.

Edited by briansnat