Cache containers

Quick question:

I've used genuine Lock and Lock containers and have found several. Also, I have used and found 'other branded' Lock and Lock-type containers. Some hold up well, others seem to hold up not so well. Are these the Lock and Lock brand?

The Lock and Lock brand I have heard do quite well (though probably not advisable in the Mojave Desert as plastic tends to go there to die), the OP may wish to indicate the brand for sale and perhaps some annecdotal testamony on how well the hold up.

Edited by DragonsWest
I've seen this term before...could you kindly explain lock and lock to me? Just a container that has 4 flaps that 'lock' in on the sides? Thanks!

Generically, yes. But the actual Lock-n-Lock brand is regarded as superior. It used to be widely available as Walmart used to carry them, but became more difficult to find since Walmart switched to an alternate brand.

I think the usual response to this is : think of the number of caches you can get along the way!

LOL :rolleyes: I did a few more yesterday, I understand now and agree they are so much better. Guess I'll start keeping my eyes open and buy some when I come across.

Thanks!

Edited by netjinx

We have a dollar store chain around here that carries one of the knock-offs. They seem to be OK, but I'm only placing a few in the wild and waiting to see how they hold up.

I have some Lock & Lock containers hidden, too and they seem to be doing well, several months on.

I think they'll work well in areas out of direct sunlight and away from very cold temperatures, as cold makes plastics brittle and the Lock & Lock type containers rely on the flexibility of Polypropylene.

Placing plastics in a hot, dry environment like the desert southwest condemns them to a slow death as plastics "dry out" as the long chain polymer molecules break down, particularly when exposed to Ultra Violet (UV).

I only place the containers in shaded/covered hides.

For you cachers in Ontario (I think....), Zellers has Lock'n'Lock containers on sale this week until Thursday for 55% off. Great time to stock up on potential cache containers! See pg 29 online flyer at www.zellers.com

:blink:

OP here....you can see an image of the set I purchased from Zellers the other day.

http://www.organize.com/6pclunchset.html

Even though the flyer says "Lock-n-Lock" with the registered trademark next to it, I took a closer look at mine and it is "Lock & Lock" with two little padlocks locked together around the words.

Anyway, no fear of disintegration due to heat here in Eastern Ontario. It snowed today!