Caching Loosing it's Context? (Rant) az*

vwgti101

Hello i live in gilbert az*

I had to post this because allot of cachers have been saying to me and i feel something needs to be said and done

1# Safety, I swear to god know one thinks before they post cach's in az* think about rattle snakes, today on the way to a cach i found one what if a child have been running to the cach? post a cach in a desert settings are scorpions, snakes, spiders.

2# geo caching as of late has lost it's context drastic, cachers keep hiding them so hard that cachers cant find them, Thats not right ive talked to so many men-women why dont you cach out in gilbert oh we don't go there because people post them to hard not even the cachers can find them, This lady is right nano inside of a tree is not proper, supposed to be found by cachers not muggles, Think People,

3# Hard cach's eq* vandalised landscaping and destroyed items, bricks, tree's landscaping, flowers Think on how hard you are making this. This really need to be this hard? NO it don't Remember post 1# KID FRIENDLY,

4# geocaching is supposed to be family friendly *ALL CACHING EVERY CACH* kids stands there crying it cant find it, im sorry honey you cant find it, maybe we cant because the landscaping it trashed, NORTH scottsdale yesterday i came across a cach location that was a four stars it was detroyed so bad i left so i was not to blame, bricks rocks, plants, People do get tired of looking after several days, I have had many people mention to me oh cachers vandalise. as we progress in to the future more yes it's happening more and more ive noticed and i would say 9 out of 10 are because people make the cachs to hard!

5# not everyone should be able to post cachs, Seattle we had a moderator that would look for them and post if it was proper, We Need That needs to be a way to take over if possible so many people leave town and leave the cachs for everyone to look for when its gone or not right, nothing should ever be over two stars, who are you hiding it from if the cach's cant find it?

6# needs to be more options, boxes that show if its on the ground, ground. tree, buulding, not really away the location just a help giving away the location at least so people can find them. I know many cachers that say this is unfair we looks for hours and not a hint, make it mandatory a hint, thats the process, not yet then close there account and ban them not proper caching i have been around this since 2003 i see caching becoming more mainstream and getting worse, I cant count how many security guards and police, i have came across, i even had the police called on me from the compadre stadium cach yelling at me nearly ran me over with his car (security) then called the police, I posted a note guess what cach still open and people going, who's fault is this?

My two cents

People dont read the rules ever i swear, OFF LIMITS. Playgrounds. Water, train tracks, bridges, over passes,

Rattlesnakes live in Arizona. You're gunna have to get used to that if you want to live here.

If you don't like hard caches, don't go to them. If you become a premium member, you can even ignore them or filter them out of your cache searches. That's what I do.

If you feel a cache is causing vandalism or damage. There are ways of addressing that. This rant won't help. If you are sure a cache is gone, there are ways of addressing that as well.

The owner is and should be able to hide whatever kind of cache they want as long as it is within the guidelines. It would be improper to judge someone elses hide as improper. Limiting cache difficulty to two stars? What? Boxes to explain where the cache is hidden? What? Are you really serious about this?

It's clear you yourself has never read the 'rules' because there are none! There are guidelines. Even then it's clear you haven't read the guidelines either because nowhere does it say that playgrounds and 'water' are off limits. Bridges, over passes, and train tracks are mentioned, but as gudelines. Not concrete rules saying they are off limits.

Wow!

I prefer my caching where the rattlesnakes live and not in a parking lot though lol, better scenery:) My kids know not to run off whether we are caching or whatever we are doing in the desert, they have lived here all their lives too and know about rattlesnakes and scorpions, etc, not to mention cactus, no one wants to end up in a cholla!

Anyway, I don't live in Phoenix area(prefer it down here south of you guys) so I won't comment on anything else, have a nice day.

I had to post this because allot of cachers have been saying to me and i feel something needs to be said and done

1# Safety, I swear to god know one thinks before they post cach's in az* think about rattle snakes, today on the way to a cach i found one what if a child have been running to the cach? post a cach in a desert settings are scorpions, snakes, spiders.

2# geo caching as of late has lost it's context drastic, cachers keep hiding them so hard that cachers cant find them, Thats not right ive talked to so many men-women why dont you cach out in gilbert oh we don't go there because people post them to hard not even the cachers can find them, This lady is right nano inside of a tree is not proper, supposed to be found by cachers not muggles, Think People,

3# Hard cach's eq* vandalised landscaping and destroyed items, bricks, tree's landscaping, flowers Think on how hard you are making this. This really need to be this hard? NO it don't Remember post 1# KID FRIENDLY,

4# geocaching is supposed to be family friendly *ALL CACHING EVERY CACH* kids stands there crying it cant find it, im sorry honey you cant find it, maybe we cant because the landscaping it trashed, NORTH scottsdale yesterday i came across a cach location that was a four stars it was detroyed so bad i left so i was not to blame, bricks rocks, plants, People do get tired of looking after several days, I have had many people mention to me oh cachers vandalise. as we progress in to the future more yes it's happening more and more ive noticed and i would say 9 out of 10 are because people make the cachs to hard!

5# not everyone should be able to post cachs, Seattle we had a moderator that would look for them and post if it was proper, We Need That needs to be a way to take over if possible so many people leave town and leave the cachs for everyone to look for when its gone or not right, nothing should ever be over two stars, who are you hiding it from if the cach's cant find it?

6# needs to be more options, boxes that show if its on the ground, ground. tree, buulding, not really away the location just a help giving away the location at least so people can find them. I know many cachers that say this is unfair we looks for hours and not a hint, make it mandatory a hint, thats the process, not yet then close there account and ban them not proper caching i have been around this since 2003 i see caching becoming more mainstream and getting worse, I cant count how many security guards and police, i have came across, i even had the police called on me from the compadre stadium cach yelling at me nearly ran me over with his car (security) then called the police, I posted a note guess what cach still open and people going, who's fault is this?

My two cents

People dont read the rules ever i swear, OFF LIMITS. Playgrounds. Water, train tracks, bridges, over passes,

Do you really expect me to believe you had a moderator in Seattle that would look for them before they were posted!!!

Nothing should never be over two stars, are you really serious. I'm not about to downgrade this Cache to two stars. Because it is a back country cache and says so on the cache page. And its not Kiddy Friendly. So I wouldn't expect a child to go looking for it.

So if you ever want a lesson on how to look for or hide a cache that has more than 2 stars just make arrangements and I'll gladly take you along. And maybe I can show you a big rattlesnake, large cholla's, scorpions and if we go after dark there might just be a bobcat out there, along with some coyotes.

If this kind of sojourn is not your cup of tea then bring your soapbox to one of the Ten Year Events that

are happening all over the area on the first weekend of May. Then you can tell the cachers in person what you think this game is all about.

You have been a cacher all of two months, and only have 145 finds. Try caching for a year before you start making suggestions/ demands for changing the site.

Sure, there are some bad caches. You will find those anywhere. Most of the caches in this area are pretty good.

Its Arizona. As a long time resident, I know better than to run through the desert or stick my hands in places I cant see into first. You and your kids would benefit from that safety tip.

If you want easy caches, then just go for the 1 star caches. There sure are plenty of them around to keep you and the kids happy without having to try for the hard ones.

In looking over your caches, the ones on train tracks are at a train park. A park dedicated to trains. They include tracks underneath train cars that do not move. Tracks that are not connected to other tracks. In other words, they do not violate the rules of placement.

Hope you find a way to enjoy geocaching.

I'm in complete agreement with the others, so I won't repeat what they said. HOWEVER, as a parent who regularly caches with their child, I feel it's important to make a few points.

What if a child have been running to the cach? post a cach in a desert settings are scorpions, snakes, spiders.

If you're living in Arizona with a child, especially in central/southern AZ, one of the first things you need to teach them is RESPECT for the nature that's all around us. Scorpions, snakes, spiders, javelina, coyotes, etc. aren't just living out in the desert. They can be found anywhere...even in the middle of town. Down here in Tucson, the javelina and coyotes travel the city via the network of washes, and it's not uncommon to see them around. I have a friend who regularly finds scorpians in her home, and another who's apartment complex attracts rattlesnakes. Teach the kids to watch out...no matter where they are. If they're too young (like a young toddler) to understand, then they don't need to be running free.

4# geocaching is supposed to be family friendly *ALL CACHING EVERY CACH* kids stands there crying it cant find it, im sorry honey you cant find it,

My son seems to have a knack for finding micros, but to be honest, I'm okay when he DOESN'T find one. Disappointment is part of life, and a well-adjusted adult learns that lesson in childhood. Having every cache created just for them, and being a cache easy enough for them to find everytime is NOT doing them any favors. If a kid is upset or cries because they can't find a cache, then it's an excellent teachable moment for the parent. They take that time help their child learn to deal with disappointment, and to use that experience to try again. Geocaching with kids presents many teachable moments.

And, on a non-child note, I'm also a relative newbie--we just found our 100th cache this past weekend. As a newbie, I'm finding that it's better for me to adopt a "watch and learn" attitude about caching. I think that going off on rants and making demands of the caching community is, in effect, burning bridges before you even have a chance to build them.

Good luck to you!

What if a child have been running to the cach? post a cach in a desert settings are scorpions, snakes, spiders.

Gila Monsters ... y' forgot about the Gila Monsters.

Pour yourself something soothing to drink, sit back,

click the following link, and watch some Geocaching

San Diego style.

San Diego Rowdies Slide Show

"Variety is the spice of life" - Somebody said that.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I grew up in Tucson, so I know the terrain of Arizona very well.

I had a very good laugh over the suggestion that caches should not be hard to find, max. difficulty level: 2.

Mandatory hints?

Some of us PREFER the challenging caches over the easy park and grabs.

One of the nicest things about this sport is that YOU choose which caches to go find, and the cache page (if done correctly) will help you determine how difficult the cache will be to find, and what the terrain is like.

I completely respect that some people prefer easy caches. That's fine! But some prefer the more challenging ones, and I say "Bring 'em on!"

I do take my kids with me and their favorite caches are the high-adventure ones (high adventure for Oklahoma, that is). I do appreciate you letting us know about the difficult cache placements in Gilbert-I'll check them out and see what the stories are.

I do appreciate your post.

San Diego style.

Just dropping in here to let you know I really enjoyed your slide show - very imaginative stuff!

Happy caching...

MrsB

San Diego style.

Just dropping in here to let you know I really enjoyed your slide show - very imaginative stuff!

Happy caching...

MrsB

Aw shucks ma'am, ... thank y' very much.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

I agree with a lot of what the other people said in responding to the rant, particularly that you can pick the caches you choose to do. And that he needs to learn to spell "cache".

But I do think he has a point about hard caches. I like hard caches when it is hard because it takes a long hike to get there, or because it is up in the tree. I don't like hard caches when it is nano or small micro in a bush or public place. He's right--people often tear up a place looking for it or draw negative attention to themselves. I don't see the fun in those kind of caches and I don't think many others do, either. Maybe his rant will make someone think twice before placing one. Probably not, though!

First - wow! I know most of the people that have posted so far... if not personally (including the OP), then by association.

This is AZ. Critters live here. It adds to the fun... especially when you pick up a piece of cardboard laying on the ground and find a rattlesnake underneath. I have also seen scorpions, swarms of bees, coyotes, a tarantula and 1 gila monster (dadgum thing wouldnt stay still long enough for a picture). Its all part of the game.

If critters bother you, stick with the urban caching... but thats really not a guaranty that you wont come across a critter. Remember to touch (carefully of course) everything and really look for things that dont seem quite right. It just might be what you are seeking.

And its ok to visit a cache several times (8 on one cache for me) until its found.

You’re free to rant but this will not achieve anything, and nothing will be done.

Let me see you feel caching has lost its context, how exactly you figure that, you’ve only been registered since February 2010 and have 146 finds

Those that have been in the game for years are the ones qualified to make such a statement

The world has all kinds of critters, you have rattle snakes, others have ticks, coyotes etc…you need to adapt to the environment you live in and respect nature

If you have kids and live in such places teach them what is appropriate to do and take care of them, be responsible.

What about urban caches?...you can get run over by a car getting out in the city to find the cache, and if you’re in Amsterdam NL, you could well get run over by a cyclist

Everyone is free to hide as hard as they want to, you don’t like them don’t go for them

some of us enjoy the challenge instead of lamp post caches

While I agree with you that nothing should be destroyed in the process of placing a cache, why does it have to be “kid friendly”?

There’s plenty of adults that are cachers, this is not a “strictly kids” game

Again, you assume that this is a game for kids only

Family doesn’t have to involve kids, husband and wife only qualifies for family, you know?

If you feel so bad when they cry that they didn’t find it take them to easy caches.

Unless the difficulty rating is understated why would you take your kids to any high difficulty caches?

Yeah right, and how would you enforce that, send everyone to geocaching school?

For crying out loud, and what’s next, you want someone to bring the cache to your door?

I don’t care to know where the cache is and I don’t care for a hint either, the challenge to find it is what this game is all about.

Making hints mandatory and banning people for not posting a hint? Where do you get this idea?

It’s a game, its not mandatory that you are part of it if you don’t like it.

My two cents

So take it upon yourself and do your part, and post your thoughts on the cache page.

and totally unrelated, my head hurts from trying to read your post

You’re free to rant but this will not achieve anything, and nothing will be done.

Let me see you feel caching has lost its context, how exactly you figure that, you’ve only been registered since February 2010 and have 146 finds

Those that have been in the game for years are the ones qualified to make such a statement

The world has all kinds of critters, you have rattle snakes, others have ticks, coyotes etc…you need to adapt to the environment you live in and respect nature

If you have kids and live in such places teach them what is appropriate to do and take care of them, be responsible.

What about urban caches?...you can get run over by a car getting out in the city to find the cache, and if you’re in Amsterdam NL, you could well get run over by a cyclist

Everyone is free to hide as hard as they want to, you don’t like them don’t go for them

some of us enjoy the challenge instead of lamp post caches

While I agree with you that nothing should be destroyed in the process of placing a cache, why does it have to be “kid friendly”?

There’s plenty of adults that are cachers, this is not a “strictly kids” game

Again, you assume that this is a game for kids only

Family doesn’t have to involve kids, husband and wife only qualifies for family, you know?

If you feel so bad when they cry that they didn’t find it take them to easy caches.

Unless the difficulty rating is understated why would you take your kids to any high difficulty caches?

Yeah right, and how would you enforce that, send everyone to geocaching school?

For crying out loud, and what’s next, you want someone to bring the cache to your door?

I don’t care to know where the cache is and I don’t care for a hint either, the challenge to find it is what this game is all about.

Making hints mandatory and banning people for not posting a hint? Where do you get this idea?

It’s a game, its not mandatory that you are part of it if you don’t like it.

My two cents

So take it upon yourself and do your part, and post your thoughts on the cache page.

and totally unrelated, my head hurts from trying to read your post

In case this rant leads to an International Geocaching Police Force

please let me know. There's a few of my local Geocaching pals that

make a habit of picking on me so I look forward to turning them in

for their misdeeds. ... not t' name any names of course. (Y'all know

who y' are.)

Bad enough that the San Diego County Unbunched Sock Police is

understaffed and underpaid. They can't seem to make any headway

against socktorial infractions. I'll take snakes any day compared to

unbunched socks.

46ed5a9c-67ce-491a-a0c6-5ac9d838eb12.jpg

What about centipedes? Them're mean if they crawl into y'r skivey

shorts.

Edited by SD Rowdies

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

I wear my socks unbunched but you would never know cuz I always wear pants. :)

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

I wear my socks unbunched but you would never know cuz I always

wear pants. :)

So far you win ... forty-eight pages of profile photos and not a single

shot of your socks. Do you actually wear socks? Best I could find was

this ...

522660b4-a986-4861-bd32-dd4ce2d85595.jpg

Close but no cigar.

Yeah, well, just you wait until one of them centipede thingies crawls

up y'r pant leg. Then we'll see if y'r socks are bunched or not.

Note to Self: Boy howdy, ain't this rant fun?

Edited by SD Rowdies

spj4hz.jpg

If you look very closely just above my shoe and below the bottom of my pants leg, there is a small portion of my black socks visible. They started unbunched, but by the end of the hike they may not have been as unbunched as before........maybe somewhere around halfbunched.

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

wear pants. :D

this ...

Close but no cigar.

:D Harmon...what are you doing over here in the AZ thread stirring up trouble? Come on back home where we can keep an eye on you......I guess you really are bored...I'll have to fix that... B)

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

this ...

Close but no cigar.

:D Harmon...what are you doing over here in the AZ thread stirring up trouble? Come on back home where we can keep an eye on you......I guess you really are bored...I'll have to fix that... :sad:

I'm having visuals of Jodi dragging Harmon out of Arizona by the ear. Dragging him past El Centro, up the grade, past Sandy Creek and back home. B)

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

this ...

Close but no cigar.

:D Harmon...what are you doing over here in the AZ thread stirring up trouble? Come on back home where we can keep an eye on you......I guess you really are bored...I'll have to fix that... :sad:

I'm having visuals of Jodi dragging Harmon out of Arizona by the ear. Dragging him past El Centro, up the grade, past Sandy Creek and back home. B)

Yikes! ... caught before my work is done.

6582d834-d301-4f7d-9190-adca0053aabe.jpg

Thang is that I figured out that the unbunched socks have

been coming into our region from Arizona and Colorado.

Note to self: Good gosh, now Jodi is on my case again with Thunder-4 rootin' her on.

Edited by SD Rowdies

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

this ...

Close but no cigar.

Note to self: Good gosh, now Jodi is on my case again with Thunder-4 rootin' her on.

Well Harmon, come on down to Yuma. You can take off your socks and just run around in your shorts. Get a tan on those legs. Bring your lens and get proof that you know how to relax.

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

wear pants. B)

this ...

Close but no cigar.

:anibad: Harmon...what are you doing over here in the AZ thread stirring up trouble? Come on back home where we can keep an eye on you......I guess you really are bored...I'll have to fix that... ;)

I'm having visuals of Jodi dragging Harmon out of Arizona by the ear. Dragging him past El Centro, up the grade, past Sandy Creek and back home. :D

Harmon it's almost that time of year THE ZONIES are Coming ;)B):D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

who y' are.)

unbunched socks.

shorts.

wear pants. B)

this ...

Close but no cigar.

:anibad: Harmon...what are you doing over here in the AZ thread stirring up trouble? Come on back home where we can keep an eye on you......I guess you really are bored...I'll have to fix that... ;)

I'm having visuals of Jodi dragging Harmon out of Arizona by the ear. Dragging him past El Centro, up the grade, past Sandy Creek and back home. :D

Harmon it's almost that time of year THE ZONIES are Coming ;)B):D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

He'e they come! We like 'em.

92bc323d-5623-4516-a1e6-6a57c341164c.jpg

Vagabond, how y' doin' ol' feller?

Note to Self: My first-ever Photoshop CS5 Puppet Warp.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I gotta learn how to use photoshop :ph34r:

Lucky you, earlier this very day Photoshop CS5 Extended was

made available as a 30-day trial version. See download link below.

Trail Version: Photoshop CS5 Extended

Best books are by Scott Kelby, Matt Kloskowski, and Dave Cross ...

the Photoshop Guys.

Photoshop User TV

Adobe Facebook

Planet Photoshop Tutorials

But wait, there's more ....

Edited by SD Rowdies

Your post:

~snip~

~snip~

My two cents

And your GC profile:

*Motto*

DNF

1# first time look for about 40 minutes, then dnf*

2# secont time, look again sometimes your mind thinks it knows what your looking for, Hope you find it for, Wich i have so far!

3# Third time, *NO RULES* tear the plants out, break branches to get to anything, tear the ground cover off, Whatever it takes, never gotten to this stage,

Hmm. You complain about vandalized and destroyed landscaping, and then you state that you yourself would tear out plants and destroy things to find a cache. Maybe you should take a moment to think about this....

:D

Just my two cents worth.

EDITED to highlight areas of text

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can

What's all this fuss in Arizona with illegal immigrants? Sounds like you have bigger problems with immigrants from the Pacific Northwest. Maybe you can pass a law and do something about it. :D

O Can-a-da, we stand on guard for thee ...

O Can-a-da-a, we stand on g-u-a-r-d for thee.

Edited by SD Rowdies