Looking for Caches in Abandoned Places.

Herb and Beans

One of the things that I absolutely enjoy is exploring places that have been abandoned (yet considerably safe).

Whether it be an old country farmhouse ruins or urban decay, it fascinates me.

In Alberta, I know of a few caches that have been placed in abandoned places, but would like to note a few more, notably in Saskatchewan and Alberta but everyone is welcome to participate!

Would you mind showing me some of these particular caches?

I'll start.

Want to visit here sometime when we go camping in Nordegg, Alberta.

GC10VAD Geo-Ghost Town

In the same area, you'd probably also like Saunder's Creek-Aquaduct.

Don't miss the tongue-in-cheek historical town map; it's hilarious. (Unfortunately I never took a picture.)

Also, Cold Cache near Canmore is in a totally unique spot, and - judging from the number of bookmark lists it appears on - is probably Alberta's favorite cache.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Thanks for the responses and keep 'em coming!

Yup, I know about Cold Cache. I got that sucker loaded on the GPS and I know where it is. That one really intrigues me.

Question about that one though, how hard is it to get to? Passing it on the highway, it looks like you have a bit of steep rock climbing to do?

ETA:

I also knew about Bankhead in Banff National Park. Team herb and Beans did a bunch of caching on the way there on our last adult-only trip, but figured we may save it for the next trip when we bring Little Herb. We figured he'd get a lot out of that.....and we had other things to do like just doing adult stuff.

Thanks for the other Alberta caches. It sounds like it is a great quadding spot too, which is awesome. we are looking for some great spots to quad and cache. I think that's a great combination!

Edited by Herb and Beans

Cold Cache is a simple walk up an old gravel road, moderately steep. No cliff climbing involved, and it takes 10 minutes if you're fit, maybe 20 if not.

There's a tiny unmarked pullout on the eastbound highway that serves as the trailhead. Assuming you find the trailhead, there's no cliff climbing involved. (Some people have reported going straight up from the highway, which sounds like an ordeal.)

I've been to the place about 5 times, because people keep wanting to see it. The last few times, there were tea lights (those tiny candles) on every ledge, nook, cranny, and shelf. It must've been quite romantic with them all lit. There were also signs that people had campfires and perhaps tried to stay the night; that must've been quite smoky and dreadful.

i once saw on the new a bit about secret groups who go around breaking intop abandoned places like old hospitals/jails etc and look around.Mostly just to prove to their group they can go in and out of forbidden places.interesting to me only because it is not widly known.kind of like the base jumping from construction crane people.

I've heard about this before and read an article about it. Urban exploration. It's kinda intrigued me. In Weyburn, SK there was a mental hospital that was historically significant and was abandoned. I believe it has been torn now lately, but I know of people that would go in and explore. I always wanted to see it but the opportunity never presented itself.

Weburn, SK mental hospital

Wow.. I loved Cold Hard Cache (reading about it that is.. I haven't logged it yet :unsure:

I've been looking for similarly unique spots in Southern Ontario so I'll add these to the list knowing they aren't in your region.

GC12TA8 - Mining Some Cold Hard Cache

GC108JR - Bondage Island...err, I mean Pondage!

GCG481 - Haunted Blue Ghost Tunnel Cache

GCR5V8 - Side Two

Do you know of any more even more south of that? I live in Essex County and would LOOOVE to find something cool like that!

Edited by Team Furgalur

i once saw on the new a bit about secret groups who go around breaking intop abandoned places like old hospitals/jails etc and look around.Mostly just to prove to their group they can go in and out of forbidden places.interesting to me only because it is not widly known.kind of like the base jumping from construction crane people.

I do find places like this interesting to explore. You should check out a show called PhotoXplorers, where they go into places like this (mostly in Europe) for Photography, and film a TV show around it. Another interesting resource is Infiltration.org . There's a magazine and information for Urban Exploration.

Now, as this relates to geocaching .... most of these locations are a BAD idea for a geocache. There are a few exceptions that make for great caching but always remember that if the area is 'forbidden' you shouldn't be directing geocachers there. As long as you're not going to get arrested for being in that spot is where I would draw the line. There are plenty of these spots in public locations though.

I've been to the four caches that GeoTrailGuy mentioned, and they are all easily at the top of my favourites list. There's also "GC1X7FQ - Mining Some Cold Hard Cache Too" that's neat to explore, but not as extensive as the first Mining cache (but it makes up for that with a waterfall and a mill feature)

I'll be watching this thread for more opportunities in Ontario too - I know there are some Ghost Town caches up north of Toronto as well, but I don't have specific info on them right now.

I love to do the urban ex thing too... although I am alwasy afraid that a cop is going to come along and I am going to get charged with trespassing! I also love ghost towns and the history of the location. This is a good website to visit: www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com

I have not found these caches yet but they are on my "to-do" list if I am in the area. I have gathered them from my own searching or from other posts in the forums.

GCQ820 Ghost Town Josephine

GCVXHY Ghost Town McKinnon

GCQ9VJ The Ghost Town of Depot Harbour

GC13NH1 Have a Seat .2 (is a c&g but it is in a ghost town)

GCP339 Forgotten Village

GCGK5K The French River Rainbow (The French River village that had a huge turn-of-the-century limber trade and disappeared. There is lots written about the area. Some ghost town area of the French River is only accessible by boat.)

GC7E54 Geocache (has only had 3 finds since August 7, 2002 because of the remoteness of it) (Is also in the French River)

GCVTDG Newfoundout

GCVBER Foymount

GC1AK0K Olinda Cemetery (although not listed on the cache page, this area is listed in Ron Brown's book "Ghost Towns of Ontario")

GCKZ40 Ghost Towns

GCPQTQ The Cheltenham Brick Works

• Upvote 1