Bicycle mounted GPS Success Story

Just thought I would pass this info along.

I decided that I wanted to take my GPSr with me on my non-geocache rides, so I could see the screen as I pedaled.

Reading the reviews led me to get the Ram Mount (RAM Mounting Systems RAM-B-149Z-GA12U) to secure my Garmin 60csx to the handlebars.

I can report that the whole thing works great! Installation easy. GPSr held securely, and GPSr is held at a perfect position. When I need to pull the Garmin off, it's easy also.

What's more, I can easily read the GPSr screen even with sunglasses on. I would not even have tried this with the Oregon models!

Hope someone finds this useful.

Steve.

I decided that I wanted to take my GPSr with me on my non-geocache rides, so I could see the screen as I pedaled.

Reading the reviews led me to get the Ram Mount (RAM Mounting Systems RAM-B-149Z-GA12U) to secure my Garmin 60csx to the handlebars.

I can report that the whole thing works great! Installation easy. GPSr held securely, and GPSr is held at a perfect position. When I need to pull the Garmin off, it's easy also.

What's more, I can easily read the GPSr screen even with sunglasses on. I would not even have tried this with the Oregon models!

Steve.

I agree, RAM mounts are the best. I have a garmin mount for my bike, but have a RAM Mount for my vehicle. I'm into my 3rd GPS with it and the arm still holds tight.

J

Great to know, Thanks.

I was just looking at Ram Mounts for my 60csx today.

Although the windshield is too far for my liking for the suction mount

and well no real place on the crappy GM cars to secure the dash mount style..

So was looking into see if there was like a vent mount type option.. Short of that I think I am just going to purchase one of the little CB Radio Mic Mount brackets and screw that to the dash and the little round nub on the back of the gps should slide in and out of it quite easily..

only problem will be having the gps in front of a heater vent during winter months maybe? although that could be a bonus maybe..

200 Cavalier LS is the vehicle..

Any thoughts.. Thank for the feedback on ram mounts BTW.

Cheers,

wrtiii

Steve.

Ahh yes another Oregon basher. Steve do you own an Oregon.? Well I do and I bought a cheap $10 Garmin bicycle mount works fine. I ride and wear transition lenses which get as dark or even darker than sunglasses at times. I have no problems at all reading my Oregon 300 screen. Granted it is much easier reading my 60 csx. Now that I'm used to the Oregon the 60csx just sort of sits on the desk and makes a nice paperweight. I'm glad things work out good for you with your set up, but please don't bash something unless you have tried and learned how to use the said item. Sorry just had to vent, a little sick of the Oregon screen bashing. I'm old, eyes, are bad and find the screen very useable.

I own an Oregon 550t and an eTrex Vista HCX so I am qualified to Oregon bash :ph34r:

Guess which one I use the most for bicycle trail riding and caching:

The Vista: I can actually use the screen with topo to follow a trail in sunlight :rolleyes: (mind you it does need full backlight sometimes :) )

I have used the Oregon on my motorcycle, with the unit angled pretty near vertical, and all the 3d features off, I can just about shade the screen enough to see it with my left hand. (Again maximum backlight all the time)

Certainly the high resolution touch screen is pretty much useless in sunlight.

Oh, I have genuine garmin bicycle mounts for both units, they are good, if very overpriced: £12 for a square of plastic and two cable ties :ph34r:

Edited by facade66

ok well were can I get a ram bicycle mount I Live in Bowmanville ON and want to take my gps when I go geocaching with my bicycle and I want it were I Can See it

www.radioworld.ca

dealt with them at their brick and mortar, good service.

bwmick