Best Paperless Geocaching Unit

I have just started geocaching (about a month now) and I am really getting into it. I have close to 100 finds. I currently use a older Magellan SporTrak unit and would like to get a new unit with paperless geocahing ability. I have been leaning towards the Lowrance Out&Back but I am open to suggestions. I would like a unit with batteries that can be swapped out and I would also like to be able to see roads on it. I dont want to have to spend more than $800 on the unit, maps, and upgrades. Any suggestions?

I have just started geocaching (about a month now) and I am really getting into it. I have close to 100 finds. I currently use a older Magellan SporTrak unit and would like to get a new unit with paperless geocahing ability. I have been leaning towards the Lowrance Out&Back but I am open to suggestions. I would like a unit with batteries that can be swapped out and I would also like to be able to see roads on it. I dont want to have to spend more than $800 on the unit, maps, and upgrades. Any suggestions?

If you shop on ebay you can get an oregon 550 with the camera built in for around 400$ I just bought one for 385 last week. I just started to and it seems to be an ok unit. I havent put new maps on it yet.

good luck with finding your new unit.

I just sold my Dakota 20 which was a very nice unit. My opinion is to go with a Delorme PN-40. I hav 2 and love them. I did have a Oregon 450 and had a hard time seeing the screen when driving, same with the Dakota 20.

Thanks

i found simply using a car gps charger while driving makes the screen go into ultra bright mode on my 300 and there is no way i could possibly have trouble seeing it

I just sold my Dakota 20 which was a very nice unit. My opinion is to go with a Delorme PN-40. I hav 2 and love them. I did have a Oregon 450 and had a hard time seeing the screen when driving, same with the Dakota 20.

Thanks

i found simply using a car gps charger while driving makes the screen go into ultra bright mode on my 300 and there is no way i could possibly have trouble seeing it

I tried that with my Oregon 300 and 450 and Dakota 20 and still had a hard time seeing the map on it. That is one of 2 complaints I had on it.

Thanks

Maybe wait for the highly anticipated Garmin GPS map 62 series. I love my 60CSX and I am hoping they create an enhanced version of this GPS as they just did with the 76CSX by coming out with their new 78 series.

To me, this would be the best unit. If this were to come out, I would sell my PN-40 in a heart beat. I really like the PN-40 but I love my old CSX.

Maybe wait for the highly anticipated Garmin GPS map 62 series. I love my 60CSX and I am hoping they create an enhanced version of this GPS as they just did with the 76CSX by coming out with their new 78 series.

To me, this would be the best unit. If this were to come out, I would sell my PN-40 in a heart beat. I really like the PN-40 but I love my old CSX.

Or just go with the 78. It looks like a very nice unit geocaching unit.

Check out the Lowrance Endura series.The upper two models do just about everything.color touch screen,voice turn by turn,mp3 player,picture viewer,movie viewer,records voice notes,excellent paperless geocaching features with filtering,magnetic compass,micro sd card slot up to 32 gigs,nice onboard memory "4 gigs",data cord included "usb",very nice preloaded maps with contour lines,barametric altimiter,waterproof,the list goes on.

Here is the site description of the unit...Premium outdoor content pre-installed

Directly accepts GPX trails and geocaches, as well as POIs

Color, 2.7” (6.8 cm) touchscreen optimized for outdoor use

“Fully Loaded” with detailed topographic outdoor maps and content in a high performance GPS computer with electronic compass and altimeter

Unparalleled ease-of-use with combination of simplified touch screen interface and “hot key” physical buttons to quickly access main features

Multi-recreational with dedicated outdoor features and a large range of mapping options preloaded on plug & play Micro SD cards or web download

Designed for versatility, Sierra provides never before seen expansion capabilities. The device contains 4GB of internal memory and provides a micro SD expansion slot supporting up to an additional 32GB of storage for mapping, pictures and MP3 audio files. The pre-loaded content includes Intermap’s AccuterraTM topographic maps, extensive outdoor trail networks and Points of Interest, as well as the NAVTEQ® road network for the contiguous 48 states with an upgrade option for full-featured turn-by-turn navigation. In addition, Lowrance offers a full range of optional mapping content including Fishing Hot Spots® and other national and international map content. Fully customizable, the Sierra accepts many public domain files and community-based content such as GPX trails and general outdoor POI’s.

I want one baaad..