Fun and cheap cache goodies

estrelle

I apologize if this is overly similar to some other thread.

I'd like people to make suggestions for things they think would be cool and inexpensive to put in geocaches. This will help people to place swag others will enjoy. :lol:

I've heard of COs putting out scratch-off lottery tickets for FTF. I think that sounds neat.

For an upcoming cache I have some inflatable origami paper balloons (see http://www.ehow.com/how_5576_make-origami-balloon.html for how to make them easily), stickers, "monster mirror clings" from Archie McPhee that you put at the right height on a mirror and it looks like you have antennas/bug eyes, etc., and a plastic puzzle ring that came with my Archie McPhee order. There were going to be some "amazing brain busters" from Archie McPhee but they turned out to be too wide for the final.

I think temporary tattoos are fun.

Cooks like me might enjoy finding recipes.

I've thought about placing small seed packets for gardeners (such as a couple basil seeds), but there may be issues about attracting wildlife there.

Of course, CITO bags, TBs, and geocoins are always great.

Would you enjoy finding a printed out and folded up puzzle in a cache? Like a logic puzzle/kakuro/sudoku/crossword?

As you can see, I like finding and hiding things that have some interactive function that will be enjoyable after the find is made, not an object that just sits there.

Seeds should be placed in ziplocks-- but yes, great swag idea.

Since most cachers are adults I purge my home of small household items that are clean, unbroken and usable that I no longer need would otherwise take to a thrift store. Examples: deck of cards, small picture frames, jasmine soap from Chinatown (in ziplock), lettuce/veggie seeds (in ziplock), small disney pins (from ebay), set of coasters, set of ceramic chinese soup spoons, cheese slicer, (really!) lots and lots of necklaces/bracelets ( i notice they are appreciated). Smashed/souvenir pennies, Foster grant sunglasses (in ziplock to protect), rubber duckies, Prepackaged lens cleaners, small unused/new with tags wallet/cell phone holder, some metal toy cars, metal toy construction equipment (both coveted by adults also) Lamest item was an plastic shoe horn, but hey, I didn't need a second one and someone who doesn't want to buy one could use it. In my opinion the key is clean, unbroken, and protected from damage in the cache.

I put lots of things in caches that are cheap for me to buy but add value to the caches.

One thing I haven't added yet is small wooden puzzles that I can get at harbor freight. You snap the pieces of wood out of a flat piece and build a 3d structure. They have cars, airplanes and dinosaurs, etc.

Also, balsa wood airplanes would be good.

I often add seashells (in plastic bags) and little pendant charms that I picked up for dirt cheap. I also have my beaded lizard kit that gets added at random.

Anything that's not going to degrade sitting in a cache for a year and isn't a plastic McToy is going to be appreciated by someone.

For the record, unless the stickers are placed in a plastic baggie, they will become junk in the cache pretty fast.

I put lots of things in caches that are cheap for me to buy but add value to the caches.

One thing I haven't added yet is small wooden puzzles that I can get at harbor freight. You snap the pieces of wood out of a flat piece and build a 3d structure. They have cars, airplanes and dinosaurs, etc.

Also, balsa wood airplanes would be good.

I often add seashells (in plastic bags) and little pendant charms that I picked up for dirt cheap. I also have my beaded lizard kit that gets added at random.

Anything that's not going to degrade sitting in a cache for a year and isn't a plastic McToy is going to be appreciated by someone.

For the record, unless the stickers are placed in a plastic baggie, they will become junk in the cache pretty fast.

Thanks for the HF tip. They opened a store near here not too long ago. Looks like I'll me making a SWAG shopping visit there.

Ooh. Do you mean via melting glue or from being manhandled? People are going to be warned to be careful because of the delicate origami items.

Thank you for the tip!

Check out the log by CanDMan47 on GC26A74. It doesn't fit your cheap criteria, but it would be nice to find.

Whoa! Almost enough to make one want to go to Michigan :lol:

Make the trip sometime, Michigan offers some great caching opportunities. My favorites are the waterfall caches in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I get to visit there twice per year. In my part of Michigan I prefer the caches in the numerous parks, preserves and trails.

Ooh. Do you mean via melting glue or from being manhandled? People are going to be warned to be careful because of the delicate origami items.

Thank you for the tip!

Both.

The adhesive in labels contains a certain amount of evaporative material. Over time the adhesive will go bad. Lables are typically made from paper or vinyl, both of which don't live well within unstable environments. Adding a plastic baggie will minimize that. It will also help protect the origami also.

I found 20 caches so far and only trade once.

I found a little alien dude and because I like alien I said ok I will take it.

SO , I left a lanyard that I made with paracord. Look online for

paracord lanyard and bracelets and you will find cool stuff.

BTW most the time I just sign the logs because I don't find any cool

swag.... That's the real world .

M.TEX

Thank you for the tip!

Both.

The adhesive in labels contains a certain amount of evaporative material. Over time the adhesive will go bad. Labels are typically made from paper or vinyl, both of which don't live well within unstable environments. Adding a plastic baggie will minimize that. It will also help protect the origami also.

I just placed the origami in a baggie and the stickers and tattoos in a separate baggie. :lol:

I found 20 caches so far and only trade once.

I found a little alien dude and because I like alien I said ok I will take it.

SO , I left a lanyard that I made with paracord. Look online for

paracord lanyard and bracelets and you will find cool stuff.

BTW most the time I just sign the logs because I don't find any cool

swag.... That's the real world .

M.TEX

Those paracord items make way cool SWAG. They are easily made and relatively cheap to make. Those are usually the first items to get taken out of my caches.

Edited by Wooden Cyclist

Over the years the one item that people would log as having taken from the cache was the Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch mini book. The book was a great price: $1.25, a nice size: 3.5"x3.5", and my favourite children's story.

In the last couple of years, I haven't been able to find a good supply of them so now I've left wooden sig tokens, geocaching 1" pin back buttons, geocaching bookmarks, handcrafted matchbook notebooks, but I've yet to read that anyone has taken these from a cache I left them in.

What I look for in a cache are those plastic realistic animals. I noticed that these show up in caches on a regular basis and there's quite a good assortment of animals. So I thought I'd have some fun and start collecting one anytime I find a different animal to add to my collection. I display them in my cubicle for fun, people laugh and ask me about them, I tell them about geocaching, they look at me funny. :lol:

Golf Pencils.

Little pencil sharpeners.

Not necessarily because folks love finding them -- but because I really dislike BYOP caches.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll make room for a small pencil in case you ever find this one. It will be at Raymond Park in outer Southeast. :lol:

Just found these: http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Magic-Metal-Puzzles.html Set of 12 puzzles for $3.50 + shipping.

Wonderful idea! From my oldest - (I just asked him what he would most like to find in a cache) - he says MONEY!!!! LOL! That's almost too easy. :lol:

Webkinz cards (these are a couple bucks I think for a set of them)

Cool tokens or coins, gems, shells, craft items, sewing stuff, cool pens, key chains, Travel Bugs!

Youngest says:

Bullets, money, fishing stuff, (bobbers, hooks, etc) army guys, cars, key chains, hand warmers, dinosaurs.

Things that I personally think are neat would be old coins, geocoins, wooden nickles, etc - but those aren't necessarily cheap. Hahaha - just saw the other page linked "Project Swag Improvement" lol. Yeah, I'd be one of those. ;)

Other cool things that I think would be nice are small bottles of hand sanitizer, small note pads, small packs of kleenex (in ziplock obviously) books (if the cache is big enough) and more - but I have to go at the moment. Will be back with more ideas later. We have thought of some really cool things, and I wrote them somewhere - would have to find my notesheet!

Trying to think of inexpensive (below 50c) swag I've bought to leave in geocaches...

Pins (you can get them in bulk on eBay, for about 25c each to 50c each or so)

Foreign coins (as long as they're not the 500 yen coins :lol: )

One of my kids really like to find little erasers. I don't know why, but if I see one I'd trade it for her.

Marbles - they're some really interesting ones, a bag of 25 goes for a few dollars.

I've thought of leaving little bags of replacement logs and plastic baggies, so that when people find a cache with a wet or full log, they can add a replacement log. Haven't actually left any yet though.

I'd like people to make suggestions for things they think would be cool and inexpensive to put in geocaches. This will help people to place swag others will enjoy. ;)

I have recently got some preform Soda bottles online for micro's. Lady SdrawkcaB Calls them Texas size Bison tubes. :lol:

I have put a couple of these in the last caches I placed along with a log inside. Its a ready to hide micro-Cache. (this is the smallest micro I will place) They seemed to be liked by the other cachers.

Edited by sdrawkcab

Whew, finally - a break with a quiet house. Heh.

Other things I wrote down from just a local dollar store that might be helpful to others - and not necessarily kid oriented are things like:

tweezers

bee sting wipes/kits

nail clippers

bandaides

rubber gloves

can openers

soft grip jar openers (I love them things!)

lint rollers

scissors

duct tape

super glue

glow sticks or mini flashlight

extra batteries, although I don't like dollar store batteries - they'd be fine in a pinch

bungee cords

pet toys, like tennis balls, etc (both cat and dog toys)

black lumber crayons (don't ask me why, but I bought some)

shoe strings (all sizes)

metallic party beads ("mardi gras" kind)

ipod nano plastic cases

paperback dictionary

grill brush

bug spray wipes

nylon rope

window markers

playing cards

different music CD's

CD cases in fact too - to use for backup discs on the PC ;)

and more!

All those should be a buck a the "dollar tree" - but they are cheap end - and prone to breakage, or lack of quality.

But, say you got a splinter on the way in to find a cache - a pair of tweezers would be a nice find no matter what age you are. :D

junk stores:

Oh my gosh, the things you find in junk stores.

I found packs of glass eye-droppers 5 to a pack for like 50 cents a pack, and plastic "test tubes" with screw on tops (probably not too waterproof) and those were a buck for a pack of five. In one cache I left an eyedropper in a plastic test tube. Must have been in the falls, because there was a river that I thought someone could "collect a sample" from. :D

Other places:

We went to a local gem show on Saturday, and here are some of the things we found:

Gem mining area - which even the ole mom likes to do - you could mine out about 20-50 pretty neat looking stones for a buck a bucket.

Porcupine quills for a buck

Sharks teeth for a couple bucks

Silver and gemstone rings for as cheap as five bucks

Old large pennies for five bucks (not the greatest shape of course, or they would have cost much more) - but interesting and cool find.

Neat looking foreign coins for a buck each

Arrowheads for 25 cents each - not the real old found kind, but newly made and a whole lot more there too.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas - but that's a great start anyhow... and I didn't even get into "kids stuff" whoops! Kids actually like anything for the most part - especially stuff that adults would like too. Like scissors or nail clippers....

But, stuff like (also from the dollar store)

Marbles

River stones, or those glass stones.

Card games

Cool looking pens and pencils

Small hand puzzles

Activity books

Regular books

Music CD's

PC Games - yes I've bought pc games from the dollar store that got played a few times.

Crayons

Colored Pencils

Small plastic animals and other figures

Hot Wheel cars

Fishing lures

Fishing sinkers

Fishing bobbers - haven't seen any fishing stuff in a while

Jewlery

Small diaries or notebooks

Glue Sticks

Googley eyes

Pom poms

Beads

Pool toys

Water Balloons

Bubbles

Chalk (especially sidewalk chalk)

Uhg, I could go on... but now I'm getting tired. :lol:

Thank you for the tip!

Lots of things can become trash from being jostled around in a Cache. Placing them in little baggies can go a long way to help.

I like to find things that come in sets on clearance and break up the sets, placing each piece in it's own baggie. I'll then leave several trade items in each Cache. If you can find something like sets of fridge magnets where each piece will still be nice apart from the set, thay work well, I like your idea of the printed puzzles, but not the adea of folding them up. Maybe printimg them smaller on cardstock, and putting a few together in a baggie? Another idea would be to roll them up, and use cut up straws as 'bands' to keep them rolled...nevermind, I'm going to do that myself! Three sudoku puzzles on a strip, rolled up to fit in smaller Caches!

Just to be negative here :D ...

Seeds are not good -- they can attract critters, they also bake in heat if there too long, and certainly will germinate if there is any moisture migration.

Balloons/rubber bands and certain "other" latex-type materials degrade over time, just as does food. Ever pick a gooey mass out of a cache after it contaminated everything inside? It was probably a wad of rubber bands.

Any liquid (almost) can freeze, and the container will eventually leak [CITO-cleaned a cache yesterday that somebody's little "energy drink" leaked]. Soap bubble toys nearly always leak. While bug repellent is nice, some containers leak -- wipes are better. Super glue? I always wanted a "solid block" of cache swag! :lol:

Candy or other food related things are always a poor swag choice -- including Play-Doh.

Nail clippers and scissors usually are sharp, aren't they? A minor thing, but guidelines do call for no sharp objects! Sorry, but I think loose fishhooks also apply.

Crayons are gonna melt, folks.

Batteries may/may not be fine. They can corrode awfully fast left in the elements. The "Dollar Store" variety are really a poor choice -- I feel they should be boycotted. There was a rash of those things exploding a short while ago (I guess you get what you pay for!).

Just some things to consider while preparing your swag-bag.

That is my negative 2¢ worth. ;)

I'm so glad to see that some people actually care about what gets put into a cache. I'm very new at this and some 'treasure' finds have been amazing, others really disappointing. Used, dirty, gross trinkets, melted soggy food/candy, and in two caches last weekend I found & discarded a total of 3 cigarettes.

My daughter and I hit the dollar store in town and loaded up our treasure bag with goodies to distribute. We just browsed the store & anything small enough we grabbed.

Hex key sets, small locks with keys, yo-yo's, mini-squirt guns, cute luggage tags, wallets etc.

I hope people will find our treasure (in most cases we left the price tag sticker on so they know it was new) and maybe give some thought of what to bring with them for trading. I also like the above idea of bringing small household items that you no longer use. I'll start going through my drawers!

A local cache hider around here made some pretty cool series awhile back that a lot of people enjoyed, and I think this is a fun idea for a cache series, might make one myself.

Some toys come in sets of 7 or 8 different ones, like for example, these folks bought some little toy aliens, there were 8 different aliens, and each regular sized cache had a different alien from the set, so you could collect the whole set.

Even though the toys themselves were inexpensive, cachers had fun getting each one of the set. A local cacher friend has for her profile image, a picture of all 8 aliens that she found from this series.

I believe they did the same thing with ninjas (6 different ninjas).

I'd like people to make suggestions for things they think would be cool and inexpensive to put in geocaches. This will help people to place swag others will enjoy. :anicute:

I've heard of COs putting out scratch-off lottery tickets for FTF. I think that sounds neat.

For an upcoming cache I have some inflatable origami paper balloons (see http://www.ehow.com/how_5576_make-origami-balloon.html for how to make them easily), stickers, "monster mirror clings" from Archie McPhee that you put at the right height on a mirror and it looks like you have antennas/bug eyes, etc., and a plastic puzzle ring that came with my Archie McPhee order. There were going to be some "amazing brain busters" from Archie McPhee but they turned out to be too wide for the final.

I think temporary tattoos are fun.

Cooks like me might enjoy finding recipes.

I've thought about placing small seed packets for gardeners (such as a couple basil seeds), but there may be issues about attracting wildlife there.

Of course, CITO bags, TBs, and geocoins are always great.

Would you enjoy finding a printed out and folded up puzzle in a cache? Like a logic puzzle/kakuro/sudoku/crossword?

As you can see, I like finding and hiding things that have some interactive function that will be enjoyable after the find is made, not an object that just sits there.

Cool ideas! I really like the recipe idea,could be a theme for a cache "take one,leave one" kinda thing.Call it "Whats for dinner?" :)

I also like the seed idea because i garden.Different herbs would be fun to grow and cook with.The cache would have to be a very dry one for them to last any amount of time.

Hand made stuff is great,worth more than face value because its more special. :ph34r:

The wooden toys Bittsen speaks of are too cool,and cheap.I bought my kids some and they loved building them.They have many different patterns too.

I have an electrician friend that is saving me those "knock outs" from electrical panels.They are about the size of a half dollar,and they throw them away.I am going to try file the kinda sharp edges off them and use metal stamps and make coins out of them.Free!

Edited by chachi44089

Just to be negative here :D ...

Seeds are not good -- they can attract critters, they also bake in heat if there too long, and certainly will germinate if there is any moisture migration.

Balloons/rubber bands and certain "other" latex-type materials degrade over time, just as does food. Ever pick a gooey mass out of a cache after it contaminated everything inside? It was probably a wad of rubber bands.

Any liquid (almost) can freeze, and the container will eventually leak [CITO-cleaned a cache yesterday that somebody's little "energy drink" leaked]. Soap bubble toys nearly always leak. While bug repellent is nice, some containers leak -- wipes are better. Super glue? I always wanted a "solid block" of cache swag! :)

Candy or other food related things are always a poor swag choice -- including Play-Doh.

Nail clippers and scissors usually are sharp, aren't they? A minor thing, but guidelines do call for no sharp objects! Sorry, but I think loose fishhooks also apply.

Crayons are gonna melt, folks.

Batteries may/may not be fine. They can corrode awfully fast left in the elements. The "Dollar Store" variety are really a poor choice -- I feel they should be boycotted. There was a rash of those things exploding a short while ago (I guess you get what you pay for!).

Just some things to consider while preparing your swag-bag.

That is my negative 2¢ worth. :anicute:

Always gotta be one in every group. :)

Hahah just kidding. Good points actually, because I would not have thought about rubber bands, balloons, crayons and the super glue turning into a chunk. lol!

The nail clippers and scissors I would just leave in the new pack, so that it would be pretty difficult for anyone to get cut with them. Will have to go back and check on the rules though. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more as we try to figure out how to create our own hide.

Uhg, and those dollar store batteries, no kidding there. They seriously should be boycotted. I've tried them once or twice - and that was it. Never again. I didn't hear about the explosions, so scratch extra batteries off our list! :ph34r:

Edited by McKeeFamily2

Uhg, and those dollar store batteries, no kidding there. They seriously should be boycotted. I've tried them once or twice - and that was it. Never again. I didn't hear about the explosions, so scratch extra batteries off our list! :)

For sure!! I've always shaken my head when I've seen extra batteries in caches. They're almost always corroded and nasty. Nothing I would want to put in my GPS.

In the last couple of years, I haven't been able to find a good supply of them so now I've left wooden sig tokens, geocaching 1" pin back buttons, geocaching bookmarks, handcrafted matchbook notebooks, but I've yet to read that anyone has taken these from a cache I left them in.

What I look for in a cache are those plastic realistic animals. I noticed that these show up in caches on a regular basis and there's quite a good assortment of animals. So I thought I'd have some fun and start collecting one anytime I find a different animal to add to my collection. I display them in my cubicle for fun, people laugh and ask me about them, I tell them about geocaching, they look at me funny. :anicute:

Where do you get wooden sig tokens, geocaching 1" pin back buttons, and geocaching bookmarks?

Good idea about collecting the little animals.

What do you all think of my first cache ... GC27TR5

... Still open for a FTF, but I did my best with swag for making my first cache. I tried to fit in a ice fishing pole, but the pail was a little too small. I have a pile of folding lock blade knives I have collected over the years. I'm still a newbe here, so I did not know if knives would be cool or not. Right now I still have a ton of fishing gadgets I'd like to keep adding.

Edited by KevinWinkler

According to the guidelines, knives are not cool.

***I personally think knives are cool, but I don't leave 'em as swag, as per the guidelines.

Thanks for the heads up ... I know I read over it some place, but my head is spinning with everything I read in the forums and then have to back and double check the rules and dig threw that again ... I'll remember it all in time :anicute:

According to the guidelines, knives are not cool.

***I personally think knives are cool, but I don't leave 'em as swag, as per the guidelines.

Thanks for the heads up ... I know I read over it some place, but my head is spinning with everything I read in the forums and then have to back and double check the rules and dig threw that again ... I'll remember it all in time :anicute:

Fishing gadgets are cool.

***Except for maybe the coolest of fishing gadgets, which have a small knife blade on them.

***My first find was a cache named "Wishin' I Was Fishin'". I went and bought one of those and stopped back by to drop it in before I knew it was a no-no. I don't feel guilty.

What do you think of this homemade scorpion for swag? It is made of copper wire and seems appropos for the desert around here. Is it too cheap? I guess I'm asking, would you keep it if you found it in a cache?

CIMG1009.jpg

Edited by Azisbest
What do you think of this homemade scorpion for swag? It is made of copper wire and seems appropos for the desert around here. Is it too cheap? I guess I'm asking, would you keep it if you found it in a cache?

Would I keep it? Oh yeah! I just hope I got enough with me to trade for it. Looks fantastic!

Cool hand-made stuff beats store bought stuff hands down any day, no contest. Keeping it from being crushed would be a challenge though. How large is the sculpture?

Edited by Chrysalides

CIMG1009.jpg

I love it. Where do I have to go to get one?

How about petrified wood? Would anyone like that? I put pieces in one of those tiny baggies with a card I made that tells what it is, just in case someone can't tell. So far I haven't traded anything for them I just leave them as extras.

I also bought wooden rounds from the craft store to make wooden nickels. Wolf's Song paints one side and I stamp a handprint and print his name on the other. Then I spray it with a clear coat to keep it nice. He's only 2 1/2 so right now we use washable paint and if it wasn't sprayed it wouldn't last. I put those in a small plastic bag with a business card that says it's hand painted by wolf's song and his age. I'm hoping that someone likes them. I think I've left about a dozen so far, but no feedback. They are slow going because sometimes he just wants to put a dot on them and then paint his feet or another paint brush. LOL

Our little one loves to find almost anything. But if you want to make him extra happy Rocket Ships. Planes and helicopters ar close behind.

I like things that are interesting. I'd love homemade stuff if it was nice. Jewelry is one I've done a bit of. I find things I like on clearence or at the dollar store and buy 2. 1 to keep and 1 to trade. Most of my Jewelry was stolen last year so I always look carefully at any that I find. One cache had a pretty nice watch too bad it was too small for me.

Edited by wolfslady

Really nice, I'd love to have/find one myself, but like mentioned before, I'd bet it would be hard to keep it from getting crushed. Not to mention, I've only seen one cache big enough to put it in. :anicute: But very nice for sure.

Would I keep it? Oh yeah! I just hope I got enough with me to trade for it. Looks fantastic!

Cool hand-made stuff beats store bought stuff hands down any day, no contest. Keeping it from being crushed would be a challenge though. How large is the sculpture?

^ What he (she?) said!

I rarely trade, but I do carry some stuff with me just in case. And when I do trade, it's usually for some unique hand-made item like this.

CIMG1009.jpg

Too cool! If you cached in my area I'd be "stalking" you to get one.

My swag includes small stuffed animals - sometimes these are keychains; sometimes not. The World Market near me used carry the sand stuffed animals but I haven't been able to find them recently.

I just came from a thrift store where I found some very cool items to add to our swag-bag. We also frequent flea markets, you can find cool things there too. I look for small useful and/or unique things...lanyard are great!

We have been finding a lot of MardiGras beads.. Also, you can go to any party shop or dollar stores with party items and find cool things in large quantities...on the cheap. I have a few bendy smiley people left from my sons party I traded one so far...I think they make good trade too.

:anicute:

The scorpion shown is probably an inch and a half long. They can be made larger or smaller. They are easy to crush so I can only put them in some containers.

Really nice, I'd love to have/find one myself, but like mentioned before, I'd bet it would be hard to keep it from getting crushed. Not to mention, I've only seen one cache big enough to put it in. :) But very nice for sure.

Its not that big, lol. I have probably placed about 20 or so around here.