Does anyone do this that doesnt have kids?

dprice81

Just curious if anyone does geocaching that doesnt have kids? Its a great thing that lots of kids do with their folks but I'm just wondering if any grown adults out there do it on their own or with other adults. I just have this weird feeling about going out and doing it alone when its generally a family thing. Hmmmmmmmm..........?

Just curious if anyone does geocaching that doesnt have kids? Its a great thing that lots of kids do with their folks but I'm just wondering if any grown adults out there do it on their own or with other adults. I just have this weird feeling about going out and doing it alone when its generally a family thing. Hmmmmmmmm..........?

Me and my grown adult friend will do this. Neither of us have children so it's not just for the kiddos. My mom will occasionally join as well but because of terrain she's unable to do as many as she would like.

Most of the cachers I know either don't have kids or don't cache with them. I really like caching in groups, but I *love* caching by myself.

You need to be a little more selective on your own. If you're male, you probably don't want to be seen skulking around playgrounds. And if you're female, you want to be aware when you're way up the trail by yourself.

And, of course, you need to be finicky about your equipment: extra batteries, good signal on your cellphone.

There are many people that geocache that don't have kids I've noticed. Mostly by reading profiles etc on the site. I think it's a great thing to do with kids, because it's nice to get out and hike around at a new park - find interesting areas, take pics, great for the dog and all that.

BUT - if I did NOT have kids, I'd be just as interested. I'd probably go with the hubby, or find a friend that was interested, just in case anything goofy happens - but heck. I don't see any reason NOT to geocache - kids or no kids. :lol:

My daughter has been with me for under 1/3 of my finds. The other 2/3+ finds I am all alone. I don't know if I have a preference, but I did get started as something to share with her. Now I do search every day, especially when I am on my route in other parts of the state and other states.

You can never take enough kids with you, to trade even, or better, for the broken McTat in the cache...

:lol:

No. I don't cache with kids.

Yeah, I should probably go delete that post seeing how nobody will probably answer it. ;)

Any reason NOT to teach your kids to help out and make it fun for others like them?

My 5 year old son has probably been with me for about 1/4 of my total finds. I mostly like to cache solo - at least for the bigger hikes I prefer - but really like how my five year old is starting to develop some good outdoor habits (staying on the trail, staying with the group, looking but not messing with wildlife, etc). As others have said, I often skip a lot of urban hides because it's weird for a forty year old man to be staring at a lamp post in the middle of the afternoon, but out on the parks and trails, I never think twice about it.

We started out as a married couple caching. Now we have two kids, and they go with us, granted it was easier before as children involve lots of planning :lol:

I'm in the military and my wife works odd hours so pre-children it was nothing to start caching at 2000 and not stop until after midnight. Lots of our first finds were that way. Now the story is different, and I do most of my caching (now that I've gotten back into it after a hiatus) on weekend mornings with just the kids and let my wife sleep in.

I'm a 28 year old geo-bachelor and I'm way to young to be thinking about having kids OR getting married for that matter.

Glad to hear that, Simpjkee. That greatly increases the likelihood that your avatar represents a man and woman dropping a toddler into a giant bear trap. Is it?

PLEASE say yes!

I'm a 28 year old geo-bachelor and I'm way to young to be thinking about having kids OR getting married for that matter.

Glad to hear that, Simpjkee. That greatly increases the likelihood that your avatar represents a man and woman dropping a toddler into a giant bear trap. Is it?

PLEASE say yes!

Yes, it is a man and a woman swinging a child in to a bear trap. It's from the cover of GreeN Day's American Idiot single:

51v8UomsZzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

YESSSSSS!!!

I was going to post that I'm too old to recognize it. But I've just Wikipedia'd Green Day and discovered they were formed in 1987.

I am too old to be familiar with the oeuvre of a band formed 23 years ago. If you want me, I'll be over there chewing open a vein.

Green Day started in 1987, but they didn't get huge until 1994 when Dookie was released. I was 14 at the time. American Idiot is one of my favorite albums ever. Had I know I was going to be into Geocaching I would have chosen the username "Jesus Of Suburbia" or "St. Jimmy", who are two characters from the album. :lol:

YESSSSSS!!!

I was going to post that I'm too old to recognize it. But I've just Wikipedia'd Green Day and discovered they were formed in 1987.

I am too old to be familiar with the oeuvre of a band formed 23 years ago. If you want me, I'll be over there chewing open a vein.

Green Day started in 1987, but they didn't get huge until 1994 when Dookie was released. I was 14 at the time. American Idiot is one of my favorite albums ever. Had I know I was going to be into Geocaching I would have chosen the username "Jesus Of Suburbia" or "St. Jimmy", who are two characters from the album. :lol:

Canadian Idiot by Wierd Al is pretty good.

36 yo here with no kids. Unless you want to call the four dogs and two cats kids (I do, as they ARE my children, though I don't any of them caching with me(don't want them getting ticks). I have always been the type that hates the outdoors! If you had told anyone that knows me that i would be in the woods looking for hidden boxes they would've told you your crazy! I've always been very big Into tech stuff and video games, but now i love going out caching all by myself..... I love the adventure and the hunt!

[quote name='joshism' date='Apr 25 2010, 06:23 PM' post='4310205']

I'm 28. I went caching this weekend with friends who are 25, 25, and 23. None of us have kids.

36 yo here with no kids. Unless you want to call the four dogs and two cats kids (I do, as they ARE my children, though I don't any of them caching with me(don't want them getting ticks). I have always been the type that hates the outdoors! If you had told anyone that knows me that i would be in the woods looking for hidden boxes they would've told you your crazy! I've always been very big Into tech stuff and video games, but now i love going out caching all by myself..... I love the adventure and the hunt!

[quote name='joshism' date='Apr 25 2010, 06:23 PM' post='4310205']

I'm 28. I went caching this weekend with friends who are 25, 25, and 23. None of us have kids.

Is there anyone not an adult that goes geocaching by themselves? Am I the only one?

I don't cache by myself- I'd get lost! Oh and I'm already an adult- I would have had a great time as a teen caching by myself and I had better woodcraft skills then.

I cache with my roommate. We may end up doing more caching apart since I don't hike very well and I'm not very athletic and she is. But currently we share one account since we almost never cache apart.

If I were still in college and I didn't have two cats and a roommate in a small apartment I'd get a GeoDog just to have a caching buddy (I borrow the neighbors dog some times to go caching so that the truancy officers don't try and pick me up :) )

I've done a few caches by myself- when I was visiting my parents- but I knew where I was going since I spent 16 years in that town.

Of the many geocachers that I've met I'd say less than a third are families with young kids who usually geocache together. Many are empty nesters, some are couples who don't yet have children (or never will) and many are single adults. I also know a lot with kids who will often go caching without the kids in tow (I think some people use it to get AWAY from the family for a few hours).

My kids are grown and married. My husband and go out together!

I am 37 and my gf is 27 with no kids, and we enjoy doing this, I dont think its for adults and their kids, its for anyone and everyone who wants to

PLEASE say yes!

Yes, it is a man and a woman swinging a child in to a bear trap. It's from the cover of GreeN Day's American Idiot single:

51v8UomsZzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

THIS JUST MADE MY WHOLE DAY! Haha.

My friend will love it.

Kids? People take kids? Oh yeah, I took an early teen niece once or twice, but I'm not really sure she got it. My "kid" is grown, happy to see me and my navigator having fun at it, but without a particle of interest. I do take a couple of yorkies on leashes sometimes it there is a trail without a bunch of bushwacking, but no human kids.

YESSSSSS!!!

Green Day started in 1987, but they didn't get huge until 1994 when Dookie was released. I was 14 at the time. American Idiot is one of my favorite albums ever. Had I know I was going to be into Geocaching I would have chosen the username "Jesus Of Suburbia" or "St. Jimmy", who are two characters from the album. :rolleyes:

Actually I prefer Dookie and Kerplunk over American Idiot. Kerplunk is my favorite.