Do you need to recalibrate every use?

MannieBothans

Greetings from a total newbie. I have never used a GPSr before and I have a problem.

My son and I found my first cache (GC11NGY) just fine, but tonight I went out for my second (GC6A94) and things went completely haywire.

My (8 yr-old) son had the GPS in the back seat and he said he marked a waypoint to show us where the car was. I told him that was a good habit to get into. But when I loaded the new GC6A94 geocaching destination and switched to the compass, the GPSr (a Garmin Oregon 450) kept going bonkers. The large arrow on the compass showed up fine, but then every direction we turned, it told us the destination was ahead. At first I thought the GPSr was either navigating us to the waypoint my son had set or that the cache was somewhere in the parking lot, but I got home and deleted the extra waypoints and stopped the in-progress navigation. I loaded the GC6A94 gpx again and the compass did the exact same thing again, showing the destination straight ahead now matter which way I turned.

I was completely out in the open the first time I calibrated the compass before my first successful find I and was completely out in the open when it went bonkers at the GC6A94 parking lot. Do you have to recalibrate your compass before every single geocache expedition? It worked amazingly well for the GC11NGY find, and took us to within a few feet of the cache the first time out. But the second time; not so much.

Greetings from a total newbie. I have never used a GPSr before and I have a problem.

My son and I found my first cache (GC11NGY) just fine, but tonight I went out for my second (GC6A94) and things went completely haywire.

My (8 yr-old) son had the GPS in the back seat and he said he marked a waypoint to show us where the car was. I told him that was a good habit to get into. But when I loaded the new GC6A94 geocaching destination and switched to the compass, the GPSr (a Garmin Oregon 450) kept going bonkers. The large arrow on the compass showed up fine, but then every direction we turned, it told us the destination was ahead. At first I thought the GPSr was either navigating us to the waypoint my son had set or that the cache was somewhere in the parking lot, but I got home and deleted the extra waypoints and stopped the in-progress navigation. I loaded the GC6A94 gpx again and the compass did the exact same thing again, showing the destination straight ahead now matter which way I turned.

I was completely out in the open the first time I calibrated the compass before my first successful find I and was completely out in the open when it went bonkers at the GC6A94 parking lot. Do you have to recalibrate your compass before every single geocache expedition? It worked amazingly well for the GC11NGY find, and took us to within a few feet of the cache the first time out. But the second time; not so much.

You shouldn't have to re-calibrate unless you change the batteries. In face I have one and have only done it once, not even out of the box did I have to.

Check to see that the compass is turned on:

Settings => Heading => Compass

This should say ''auto". If it does not then you are using the GPS version of a compass. In this case you have to be moving to get a directional indication. Back in the day before magnetic compasses on these units a track of someone looking for a cache was pretty funny to see, because of often had to walk in a straight line to get an indication of where the cache was.

Let us know if that works or not. If it doesn't, I would give Garmin a call, there may be something wrong with your unit.

You shouldn't have to re-calibrate unless you change the batteries. In face I have one and have only done it once, not even out of the box did I have to.

Check to see that the compass is turned on:

Settings => Heading => Compass

This should say ''auto". If it does not then you are using the GPS version of a compass. In this case you have to be moving to get a directional indication. Back in the day before magnetic compasses on these units a track of someone looking for a cache was pretty funny to see, because of often had to walk in a straight line to get an indication of where the cache was.

Let us know if that works or not. If it doesn't, I would give Garmin a call, there may be something wrong with your unit.

Compass=Auto

North=True

With the exception of maybe dead or dying batteries, I would suggest that there is an issue with the unit. The unit is fairly new, I didn't have those kinds of issues with my 60CSx until many years of use. I'd give Garmin a call.

Brand-spankin new unit. Didn't change batteries or open the battery compartment between uses. Battery bar and satellite bars both at full strength.

With the exception of maybe dead or dying batteries, I would suggest that there is an issue with the unit. The unit is fairly new, I didn't have those kinds of issues with my 60CSx until many years of use. I'd give Garmin a call.

Brand-spankin new unit. Didn't change batteries or open the battery compartment between uses. Battery bar and satellite bars both at full strength.

Try this:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Issues+List#Garmin Oregon Issues List-Compass

I ran across it after I posted the last time. I haven't read through it completely, but maybe something here will make sense before calling Garmin.

J

I have an issue with my Oregon 400t, and it sounds similar to yours. I have to set up different profiles for heading to a geocache or heading to a waypoint. If I have my map or compass set up for a geocache and select a waypoint instead, it will send me to the last selected geocache, not to the waypoint.

The main difference between the two profiles is the Dashboard that is selected. The geocaching profile uses the Geocaching - Active dashboard, which doesn't like waypoints. I guess that makes sense, but the first time you run into it, it can be confusing.

I have an issue with my Oregon 400t, and it sounds similar to yours. I have to set up different profiles for heading to a geocache or heading to a waypoint. If I have my map or compass set up for a geocache and select a waypoint instead, it will send me to the last selected geocache, not to the waypoint.

The main difference between the two profiles is the Dashboard that is selected. The geocaching profile uses the Geocaching - Active dashboard, which doesn't like waypoints. I guess that makes sense, but the first time you run into it, it can be confusing.

Hmm,

Okay, I'll play around with that!

I changed batteries and recalibrated, then the compass kept sticking, telling us to head in one direction, even thought the distance kept getting higher and higher in that direction and smaller and smaller in the other direction.

We just had to ignore the arrow and go by the numbers by trial and error. Same thing with the map... destination direction kept jumping all over the place when we were between 0.1miles away and 200 feet away. Made it very difficult to find a very easy cache. Frustrating.

This will be a temp solution, but I cache this way with my Etrex Vista HCx 99% of the time: turn off the electronic compass. Your pointer will still work but it will triangulate by satellite; this means it will point to ground zero when you are on the move. I have found this saves time and battery life. Only when I can't move in a linear direction do I engage the electronic compass, such as when boulder hopping; on a very steep hillside; on a boat; heavy bushwhacking; etc...

I use an Oregon 450 myself and it has been flawless so far... I hope :blink: I did just buy it as an open boxed item from Cabellas and got a good deal on it..... IT is still covered under Garmins warrantee (even though it was open boxed)... There was one time when the unit seemed like it was going nuts and I had to recaliberate the compass a couple of times, havent had that happen ever since.....Also, alot of the time when I first got the unit I thought things weren't working etc... and it just turned out all I had to do was learn how to use the unit right, remember not all cache's are going to be DEAD ON with the coordinates(all depends on how the hider took the cords) though I know this is not the problem your having I thought I would throw it out there as at first I thought something was wrong with my unit and really there was nothing wrong with it other than I had to look better and more closely at my immediate surroundings... even 50ft to a cache is good.... It makes things that much funner when you have to really look :) Good Luck with 450 and would love to hear how Garmin takes care of you... and how their customer service is...

TO a fellow Noob Welcome to Geocaching!

Yodabuds

Hmm,

I changed batteries and recalibrated, then the compass kept sticking, telling us to head in one direction, even thought the distance kept getting higher and higher in that direction and smaller and smaller in the other direction.

We just had to ignore the arrow and go by the numbers by trial and error. Same thing with the map... destination direction kept jumping all over the place when we were between 0.1miles away and 200 feet away. Made it very difficult to find a very easy cache. Frustrating.

Hmm,

Do you use the unit for autorouting while driving?

Maybe this isn't the problem your having. But I've noticed with my 550, if I don't go to 'where to?' and pick 'recalculate off road' when leaving the car, the compass on the unit will point me to next destintion/turn in the route... which may not be the geocache. Like if I had say parked 200ft from where the unit thought I should park, so the compass will want me to go that 200 ft before swinging around to the actual cache.

This will be a temp solution, but I cache this way with my Etrex Vista HCx 99% of the time: turn off the electronic compass. Your pointer will still work but it will triangulate by satellite; this means it will point to ground zero when you are on the move. I have found this saves time and battery life. Only when I can't move in a linear direction do I engage the electronic compass, such as when boulder hopping; on a very steep hillside; on a boat; heavy bushwhacking; etc...

I tried to switch to the map while I was navigating to my most recent cache, to do the "walk in a straight line" thing, but the map kept pointing me to completely opposite directions (when I was about 400 feet away) constantly jumping back and forth. Maybe just hitting "X" on the compass doesn't turn it off; I'll play around with that next.

Yodabuds, I'll let you know how it turns out. I am trying to rule out every possible cause on the "user error" end before I sent the unit back. Later, I checked the online cache notes and no one else mentioned anything in that physical area that caused their GPSr to go bonkers.

Welch, I have the 450 set to offroad at all times and I haven't used it to navigate while in the car (although my son did turn the unit on while we were driving to our very first find and it worked perfectly that time, seamlessly telling us where to stop and then where to walk while on foot). The second time, when it went bonkers he might have turned it on in the car-- but the third time, when the compass would point the correct direction for a few seconds and then bounce back to the "Stuck" position, before bouncing back to right way for a few seconds-- we didn't turn it on inside the car.

Have you tried to disable the compass?

Setup>Heading>Compass>Off

What is the behavior you see on the map page? Do you see a pink line from your position to your expected destination?

GO$Rs

Ah, nope. I just hit the X and I guess the compass just minimized. The map line kept flipping back and forth, pointing me to completely opposite directions to reach the cache (when I was about 400 feet away). The compass kept sticking back to a certain (wrong) direction while I was looking at the compas, and when I was looking at the map, the line was constantly jumping back and forth showing the destination in two totally different directions (but the compass had not been disabled).

The compass kept sticking back to a certain (wrong) direction while I was looking at the compas, and when I was looking at the map, the line was constantly jumping back and forth

I do recalibrate the compass much more often than I'm supposed to. :anibad:

[EDIT]: You mentioned selecting "offroad". I don't have access to a 450 (I have 550T), so I'd better not advise from memory how to turn "offroad" on & off. I THINK mine has the same basic menus, but just in case, you should go to the GPS forum and ask how to set up a "Profile" specifically for Geocaching. Mention that perhaps you are either not using the built-in "Geocaching" profile, or it's been changed. For example, the Geocaching profile ignores roads (it points "as the crow flies"), but it seems like yours may be set up in a strange way. Once you've set up and selected your Geocaching profile, you can also pick a waypoint if you like, and it will send you there just fine.

If that doesn't work, and as a LAST-RESORT, but maybe worth a try once you've resigned to send it for a replacement --

Go back to factory settings. Here's what you could try, in this sequence:

(If you think there's any chance that you're simply NOT using the "Geocaching Profile", skip step 1, and start at step 2, so you don't reset the device)

1) Do a Master Reset, to wipe out any stray settings. [EDIT: You'd to never do that more than once. If it doesn't help, suspect the GPSr is defective.]

2) Load a fresh Pocket Query, install fresh batteries (brand new alkalines might be worthwhile for this attempt).

3) Go to an area of a nearby cache, and select the “Geocaching” profile. Be sure the map has settled down (so you know it's got your location). Patience, it may take several minutes for the Oregon to wake up, after a reset.

4) Select the “Compass”, and do a calibration (slow and smooth) in an open space outdoors. You will usually do this only after a battery change.

5) Using the Compass, follow bearing and distance to the cache.

I'm going on the assumption that your GPSr has never been dropped, submerged, or zapped, and that you're starting from square one in this technology. And that you don't, say, have a big honkin magnet clipped to the D-Ring B)

Edited by kunarion

I do recalibrate the compass much more often than I'm supposed to. :anibad:

Here's what to try, in this sequence:

-- Do a Master Reset, to wipe out any stray settings.

DON'T DO THIS!

There is no reason to reset your unit every time, and you're making your unit less accurate. There are tables stored in memory that are built up over time, which are used to compensate for the timing clock speed differences that occur due to temperature changes. That's why your GPS has an internal temperature sensor. When you reset a unit back to it's factory settings, it erases all the data it's built up.

Whatever it is you're trying to accomplish by doing a master reset, I'm sure there's a better way to accomplish it.

There is no reason to reset your unit every time

Clarification added. Thanks!

[EDIT TO THE EDIT]: That mention of "offroad" is troubling, so I've overhauled my previous reply. Can the answer be as simple as "Select the Geocaching Profile"? Or if that profile is corrupt (say it's actually more like an Automotive profile), there's just a couple of settings to change.

Edited by kunarion

i have a garmin and I have no problems with it. what I have noticed, though, was that you have to move for the compass to register correctly. that only makes sense in that you have to move in order for the unit to register what direction you move and therefore what direction north shows up on the unit. We run into the problem when a kid holds the unit and they spin in circles looking for something and it gets all confused. we bought a $3 compass that we carrry and use that to find north to re-orientate the unit and it never fails. this works very well for us as it is one more thing for a kid to carry.

i have a garmin and I have no problems with it. what I have noticed, though, was that you have to move for the compass to register correctly. that only makes sense in that you have to move in order for the unit to register what direction you move and therefore what direction north shows up on the unit.

No, we're talking about units with actual electronic compasses built in. They work when standing still, or walking.