Ammo can contents ... sub-par?

A lot of swag just doesn't stand up to the elements. It wasn't necessarily garbage when it went into the cache, but it turns into garbage over time.

I understand why it's a little disappointing to find a cache without much in it, but I really don't think it's worth the wailing and gnashing of teeth. The game has so much more to recommend it.

And if you're *genuinely* upset to find a cache without anything "good" in it, maybe you need to ask yourself if you're part of the problem.

Face it this thread is idle chatter. (Like "How about those Mets?" ) The only people here are those procrastinating on their work and too tired to anything more interesting.

Oh man, I have been totally busted. How the heck did YOU know I was supposed to be working? :)

I think this is a fun thread because if you carry maintenance kits and clean, repair almost every cache, remove trash, add more swag than you take in order to improve the experience for others it's fun to chat with kindred spirits.

Yeah, I agree - and dangit - now I've got to go back to work, since you said something about it. Thanks a lot! :anicute:

Okay, after a long hiatus with brief stints of sporadic caching, we've delved back into the game full-force. Our children are old enough now to enjoy it (2 and 4 years old) and are becoming quite adept at finding the cache.

I normally do my caching with the kiddos on weekend mornings early so their mother can sleep in (she works nights) and plan my adventures around things the kids would enjoy ... ammo cans. Micros and minis I save for times when I'm alone or just a dash and cache. The kids love finding things though, so we go for the big ones that almost guarantee a neat stash of swag for the choosing.

One thing I've found here lately though is that some of the cans we're finding are nearly empty, or just plain trash lining the bottom. The kids don't care so much, but they do give me a little grief when we put something cool in to help it survive without taking anything away. Today was no exception, and of the four ammo cans found, after some hiking and the carrying of children (:)) none of them were really well-stocked.

Five or so years ago this wasn't the case; ammo cans meant lots of stuff because they are big and hold lots of stuff and normally in out of the way places so they're not burgled as easy.

So here is my question; is this becoming the norm? Is this what most people are experiencing or is it perhaps limited to location? I wanted to log something as a subtle warning, something I wouldn't have minded like - 'If you've got kids beware, this one is running low' or something to that effect. I would have appreciated that rather than hiking out there to begin with when there was no reward for the children.

Would that be out of line or would an email to the CO be more appropriate letting them know it's getting run down. I ask the question because we're looking more and more at building our first cache and have already decided we'll devote time and money monthly to keep it not just a fun cache, but one where you're not just going to find garbage.

Advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Try taking the kids for icecream after! That may make them happyer!

I just started caching a few months ago and have been disappointed that people don't put a bit more thought into their swag. While it is about the journey not the destination, part of the fun is seeing all the weird stuff people have added. Those who leave their pocket lint in a cache are missing the point.

Edited by simgirl69

I usually find just junk lol. Sometimes there are cool toys and doodads. Then again being 20 I don't find much interest in toys exept I am partial to the occasional matchbox car. I found a box of random toys in my closet so I make a point of putting them in caches since kids will love them and they would otherwise go to waste lol. Stuff like pullbacks, figures, marbles and other cool odds and ends might not be of use to me but someone should like them.

Edited by DannyCaffeine

I started caching with my kids...the caches we have found together have had an assortment of stuff...from stuff I though was cool to junk. I made sure to tell the kids that we "leave it better than we found it".

I was hoping that they understood why. I was hoping that they were learning the value of acting that way. We placed some caches and they enjoyed that. We released my sons first TB and he was really excited. I tried to make sure he knows that it may (and probably will) go missing. The day we released his TB we found a cache with nothing but the log book. They were so excited to find the cache that it didn't matter (it took some looking). They wanted to make sure I put enough stuff in so that if another kid found it they would have something to trade for that they would like :rolleyes: I am a proud dad. They do get the point but I am sure it helped to find good stuff in the caches they found first so they dont feel like they are the only ones "trading up"

I just started caching a few months ago and have been disappointed that people don't put a bit more thought into their swag. While it is about the journey not the destination, part of the fun is seeing all the weird stuff people have added. Those who leave their pocket lint in a cache are missing the point.

Said what I meant better than I said it. Good channeling! (Although historical sights and markers are my favorite caches.) Thanks for affirming my greatly-maligned enjoyment of the swag aspect of geocaching.

Edited by FatCat2

I am glad to hear so many of you say you frequently just add swag and also make clean up repairs. I try to put all my trade items in sturdy zip lock bags and always carry extras to use to protect items that need it in a cache. As I shop I try to keep my eyes open for interesting swag items for all ages. I recently found a cache that was all jewlery for the ladies. One was bars of soap. I even took the grandson out to find one that was fishing lures. We make sure we carry a good variety of items with us.

I recently found a cache that was all jewlery for the ladies. One was bars of soap. I even took the grandson out to find one that was fishing lures. We make sure we carry a good variety of items with us.

Bars of soap? I would be worried that animals would get into that cache. I try not to leave "scented" items in caches.

And yes, I agree with you that it's encouraging to see the amount of people who like to contribute decent swag.

Would that be out of line or would an email to the CO be more appropriate letting them know it's getting run down.

Yes, it would be out of line since they weren't the ones who down-graded the contents over time.

I am a big proponent of trading up and I prefer to leave stuff for the kids. As far as I'm concerned adults can go out buy carp for themselves.

At least with an ammocan you can actually leave something.

I'm not so sure Carp would be good in a cache it might tend to stink it up a bit. :blink:

I recently found a cache that was all jewlery for the ladies. One was bars of soap. I even took the grandson out to find one that was fishing lures. We make sure we carry a good variety of items with us.

Bars of soap? I would be worried that animals would get into that cache. I try not to leave "scented" items in caches.

And yes, I agree with you that it's encouraging to see the amount of people who like to contribute decent swag.

Even unscented soap will attract animals. And what happens when the cache gets damp? Horrible idea.

I equate this subject to crime.

Fewer people (less population density) = less crime; more people (higher density) = more crime.

Fewer cachers (as in years ago) = pride in the game; more cachers (as the caching scene explodes) = less pride (overall) in the game.

It all goes hand-in-hand.

Take it or leave it. :blink:

I feel the same way about hidng nanos/micros.

More cachers = more crap caches nanos/mircos

Personally I love trading items. Maybe its because I am a kid at heart. I hid my first cache about a month ago. I made sure it was an ammo can and I made sure to put some goodies as well as a T.B. in the cache. I am thinking about stocking it up once every three months just to make sure theres lot of goodies for the kids.

Edited by Shrekito
Would that be out of line or would an email to the CO be more appropriate letting them know it's getting run down.

Yes, it would be out of line since they weren't the ones who down-graded the contents over time.

I am a big proponent of trading up and I prefer to leave stuff for the kids. As far as I'm concerned adults can go out buy carp for themselves.

I'm not so sure Carp would be good in a cache it might tend to stink it up a bit. :)

Mmmm carp...the other white meat. :blink:

I'm not so sure Carp would be good in a cache it might tend to stink it up a bit. :)

Mmmm carp...the other white meat. :blink:

I'll stick to bass.

Bass-O-Matic

I like reading that many of you use this issue as a teaching tool, "leave it better than you found it", "trade up", "be generous", "think of others after you". These are all "life lessons" that will benifit children well into adulthood. But these lessons need to be practiced and not just preached.Its really up to the parents to make sure that their kids are doing these things. I make sure I see what my kids removed from the cache, and I am the one who approves what goes back in.Once I told my daughter that she would have to leave three nice toys if she wanted the "cool" bubble blower thing. I now wonder if someone would then find the cache without the bubble thing and assume my kid only traded one thing for it. :blink: Guess thats what logs are also for.

Edited by chachi44089

Okay, after a long hiatus with brief stints of sporadic caching, we've delved back into the game full-force. Our children are old enough now to enjoy it (2 and 4 years old) and are becoming quite adept at finding the cache.

I normally do my caching with the kiddos on weekend mornings early so their mother can sleep in (she works nights) and plan my adventures around things the kids would enjoy ... ammo cans. Micros and minis I save for times when I'm alone or just a dash and cache. The kids love finding things though, so we go for the big ones that almost guarantee a neat stash of swag for the choosing.

One thing I've found here lately though is that some of the cans we're finding are nearly empty, or just plain trash lining the bottom. The kids don't care so much, but they do give me a little grief when we put something cool in to help it survive without taking anything away. Today was no exception, and of the four ammo cans found, after some hiking and the carrying of children (:anibad:) none of them were really well-stocked.

Five or so years ago this wasn't the case; ammo cans meant lots of stuff because they are big and hold lots of stuff and normally in out of the way places so they're not burgled as easy.

So here is my question; is this becoming the norm? Is this what most people are experiencing or is it perhaps limited to location? I wanted to log something as a subtle warning, something I wouldn't have minded like - 'If you've got kids beware, this one is running low' or something to that effect. I would have appreciated that rather than hiking out there to begin with when there was no reward for the children.

Would that be out of line or would an email to the CO be more appropriate letting them know it's getting run down. I ask the question because we're looking more and more at building our first cache and have already decided we'll devote time and money monthly to keep it not just a fun cache, but one where you're not just going to find garbage.

Advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

I can't speak for others. So I will speak for my caches that I have placed.

I placed one cache out in the middle of nowhere, near a lake, a very nice enjoyable hike for the entire family. Great views. Great teaching lessons for kids of all ages (young & old) about nature and what nature has to offer. This cache while not ammo sized was very big. It was in an out of the way spot. Where a person would HAVE to be looking for this cache to find it. The hike TO the cache isn't even on a trail. You have to make your own. There are several directions that you can get to the cache. It is also in an area that like I said. Unless you know a cache is here, you probably wouldn't be here in the first place.

However... even being where it is. After just a short time, everything disapeared. I had great swag in there too. Everything was worth $5 or more. IN as little as 3 months. It all disapeared. To be replaced by JUNK! Stuff that isn't even worth a 25 cents.

In the 3 months, there were about 15 logged finds. No DNF's logged. One person logged that they didn't have anything of value to trade so didn't take anything.

One can only draw one conclusion from this. Either someone went out there and muggled the cache & didn't log it as a find, or those that found it and logged it as a find, took but did not trade with something of equal value, or both.

I have serveral caches that this has happend too though. Although I didn't put as nice of SWAG in the rest as I did this one, and most of the rest are in EASIER places to get too.

So now what I do is this.... Occasionaly I will go clean out the caches that have swag in them. Clean out the junk. Leaving anything decent. I will then restock it with neat stuff that is NEW. However the cost of the neat stuff is all 50 cents or less & I never put in more than about $5 worth of stuff total.

I will also dump off any cool APROPRIATE swag I don't want that I get at confrences &/or seminars etc.. that I go too. Such as pens, Balls, lights you name it. All the freebie SWAG that companies give out at these things to get your business.

Check out OrientalTrading.com they have some good stuff that seem to be popular in my area for a decent cost. Little flashlights that are only 50 cents each seem to be really popular in my caches. They seem to always be disapearing. Miniture deck of cards, Smiley face pens, Smiley face pencils, Smiley face erasers. Wire puzzles. Keychains. Bouncy balls.

I think that the what your seeing is ANOTHER reason why so many Micros and smaller caches are coming up. No need to worry about SWAG in those as their is no room for Swag in a micro.

TGC

I had one that really irritated me the other day. It was supposed to be one for kids to find and some local cacher thought it was a good idea to put a couple of condoms in the container. Thats exactly what I wanted to do on a beautiful saturday afternoon...have the birds and the bees talk with my 7yo step son when he wanted it cause of the cool colors on the wrapper!

I posted this on another thread but thought it would be appropriate for this thread also.

I'm new at geocaching and have found just a few that were big enough to leave anything. I'm willing to leave things but am interested in knowing what geocachers would like to find. (Sorry, I can't leave keys to a new car or anything like that!) I did leave a handcrafted bookmark in one that was close to a library. I am looking for suggestions on what to look for to put in the cache.

I found one yesterday that had a bunch of mini candy bars in it and a can of coke. Now I contemplated drinking the can of coke as I was very thirsty (but my better judgment got the better of me). The inside of the cache was very damp with some pooled water making the candy bars a mess. I searched for an extra baggy to take some of the goo out with me but to no avail and I'm quite sure if a sweet seeking mammal doesn't find this cache this summer a lot of ants will. Point being, candy is caches is a bad bad idea.

What I personally like to find in caches is random stuff. I love the little quotes on some laminated paper that someone around here uses. Laminated is probably the best bet for anything paper in a cache honestly. I love the cheap little toys that people put in them. Buttons/pins I think are cool. I don't necessarily take the stuff but I love to find the stuff.

I posted this on another thread but thought it would be appropriate for this thread also.

I'm new at geocaching and have found just a few that were big enough to leave anything. I'm willing to leave things but am interested in knowing what geocachers would like to find. (Sorry, I can't leave keys to a new car or anything like that!) I did leave a handcrafted bookmark in one that was close to a library. I am looking for suggestions on what to look for to put in the cache.

See and I asked in another thread what folks would like to see in caches as well and surprisingly I got no, 0, zilch, zap, nada, in terms of responses.

So please tell me what specifically do you both as adults and for children do you like to see in caches. I don't have a ton of $$$ but I do have some cool DIY things planned. So far I have small versions of first aid kits, fishing kits, cache maintenance kits, some crafty earrings, and a few other things.

See and I asked in another thread what folks would like to see in caches as well and surprisingly I got no, 0, zilch, zap, nada, in terms of responses.

So please tell me what specifically do you both as adults and for children do you like to see in caches. I don't have a ton of $$$ but I do have some cool DIY things planned. So far I have small versions of first aid kits, fishing kits, cache maintenance kits, some crafty earrings, and a few other things.

That kind of stuff seems pretty cool.

The ammo can we found in the park yesterday had mostly junk. I went to the dollar tree and bought a pair of socks in each size because my little girl (4.5) fell into the creek on the hike up there and I think it's probably happened to other little kids and hiking with smooshy socks sucks. So I'm going to go find that can again tomorrow and put something useful into it

Geocaching is a family-friendly activity. A hunt, a recreation, an exercise (oftentimes in futility).

Someone in these forums once described it as a R.A.S.H.

Recreational Activity, Sport, Hobby

Gotta scratch it that itch!

It always degrades over time.

I like to think that location is an important element in swag degradation. The caches I hide typically take a lot of effort, both physical and spiritual, to get close to ground zero. The swag in these caches has actually improved over time. From my own observations in the field, it seems that the type of cacher who enjoys these challenges often bring their best swag, to leave as a token of their passing, taking nothing in return. Those who can't be bothered with walking more than 15' from their air conditioned minivans don't seem to follow suit. The easier a cache is to reach, the quicker the swag will degrade, even when measured over the same number of visits.

"The lazier a cache is, the greater the likelihood that they will ignore the principle of, 'trade up, trade even or don't trade"

-Clan Riffster

What I feel bad about is this one: GCWD80

This is a cache at a small alpine lake in Taos, NM. It's a really nice hike - about 5 miles round trip but a little difficult due to the elevation. The log right before mine the one that I had PRINTED and in my backpack clearly says "more logs needed". I saw it and yet when I arrived at the cache to find the log book full did I have any log sheets? Why no NO I DID NOT. :(

Based on this, a month later several other people have either not noticed the note about the log book or also forgot because it still needs a log book.

Also there is a cache at a rest area in Tennessee that contains my print-out of the cache - oops. Did not mean to leave that there.

Edited by lachupa

I was thinking about starting a thread just like this one. I'm usually disappointed in the quality of the swag in the caches I visit. It seems I'm not alone.

One of my favorite finds (from my first cache!) was a souvenir penny from those penny-cranker machines located in all tourist destinations. It came from Marlboro, Vermont and I found it in New Mexico. That I could tell exactly where a bit of swag had traveled from was very cool...it was a little link between my geocaching travels and someone else's. Now whenever I find a penny cranker I make a few and redeposit them in the caches I visit.