Software HELP!

Bosveldklong

Hi guys!

Been awhile since I've been here on the forum and probably missed out on quite a few discussions. I have a slight proplem I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on. Excuse the long description, but I need to start from the beginning......

A couple of years ago I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend C GPS here in South Africa,my first GPS ever!With it I got the Mapsource Streetmap Version 3. A year later my brother bought exactly the same gps with a version 4 Mapsource streetmap. Subsequently my brothers gps got stolen and I gave him mine. I then bought a new Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, but this time in the UK. I then installed the UK mapsource on my new pc and managed to upload the UK maps to my gps.

Now Im back in the good old SA and want to upload my SA mapsource in order to get the streetmaps,ie replace the UK streetmap with the SA treetmap.

Now I need to add this part...my brother managed with the help of garmap local services to keep his version 4 and install it on his new (second hand) gps.

Now I have the version 3 with unlocking codes. I have installed it on my pc and unloocked the maps but for the life of me cant get the mapsource find my device!!!

Once installed I received a message that the installation has picked up another version of mapsource and that it would try to adapt. Could this be where the problem lies?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!I have tried to contact garmin via email, but received no reply yet. I will try and phone them again during the week, I just dont get alot of time to phone during office hours while sitting behind my pc.

Thanx again and happy caching!

Can't be done legally I am afraid. Garmin have a 1 map per gps or some such thing. So you hve to buy the map for each and every GPSr unit you own. The SA maps you have were already installed on another unit so you can't install them on the new unit with out paying. I am guessing you will have to pay the full price of R999 for the latest maps for your current unit as it has never had SA maps before.

Check on the garmap.co.za forum for a definitive answer

There are ways around this - also you can use OSM maps free and they are quite good.

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Not sure if we experienced something similar here, but I know that we had problems with Mapsource on our side. Rolf had to re-install his operating system on his new pc and it wouldn't let him re-install Mapsource because his version of the Garmin stuff was out of date, or it said he had a previous version. Or something like that - not sure of the exact details. Anyway, we had to purchase an up to date version of Garmin Maps which comes with Mapsource. It wasn't as much as R900 though, more like R365. Rolf reckons it was less because we were upgrading from an old map version. Then once we loaded the new maps and registered, Mapsource worked fine and we are now up and running.

...and unloocked the maps but for the life of me cant get the mapsource find my device!!!

From your post title and contents, I gather that it is not a licence/unlock problem - but could be.

Mapsource doesn't like parallel installations, much like a wife or girlfrênd.

I suggest you search your PC for the "mapsource.exe" file(s) and delete it. (Or rename)

Then reinstall mapsource. Only mapsource. Browse the CD for the installation file and run it. Your Mapsource installation should then be repaired.

Also find the latest usb drivers ind install that too (Only if you're not using Win7 or Vista)

I suggest you use Mapsource version 6.13.7 if on XP, on Vista / 7, use 6.13.6. That was the last stable version. (Get it here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/ )

Even if the maps are not unlocked to your GPSr, Mapsource should still see it and at least be able to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks.

Let me know if something worked/not.