HELP! Cant make co-ordinates work?

stillsy

Hi

Hope someone can help me here, I have set my first cache today and when I was there I used the maps function and google earth on my iPhone to get the co-ordinates. I have set up my cache online but when looking at the location on the map its in the wrong place.

The co-ordinates I have are 52 57 23 and 1 31 23 or 52.956579 and 1.523396 but cant seem to enter these so that they are in the right place?? Have spent ages trying to sort this out but with no luck really. Am keen to get this live asap so if anyone can offer any advice I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Stillsy

First of all, you must use WGS84 datum, with a format of DD MM.mmm

Secondly, if you have no idea about your equipment as of yet, why would you consider placing a hide?

From the geocaching Getting Started how to:

Once you arrive at the location of your hide, it is critical to obtain accurate GPS coordinates.

Using Google Maps to determine coords isn't an acceptable method, as the GPS coordinates for placement is the heart of geocaching. Other geocachers are going to use a GPSr, shouldn't cache coords be determined using a GPSr?

Google Mapping can be off by a considerable distance. If you rely on it as opposed to a GPSr, how do you know?

There also is an ongoing debate about accuracy of using iPhones for hiding at all. Using them to hunt isn't a real problem, as many times you don't even need a GPSr to "find" a geocache. Placement is a different story. One should endeavor to be as accurate as possible.

Hi

Hope someone can help me here, I have set my first cache today and when I was there I used the maps function and google earth on my iPhone to get the co-ordinates. I have set up my cache online but when looking at the location on the map its in the wrong place.

The co-ordinates I have are 52 57 23 and 1 31 23 or 52.956579 and 1.523396 but cant seem to enter these so that they are in the right place?? Have spent ages trying to sort this out but with no luck really. Am keen to get this live asap so if anyone can offer any advice I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Stillsy

The first set of numbers you give are in the HDD MM SS format. The second set you give are in the HDD.dddd format. Both describe the more or less the same point.

As has been pointed out the guidelines require the use of a GPS to determine the co-ordinates when you hide a cache. The co-ordinates listed on the site are HDD MM.mmm format and the WGS-84 datum.

While my opinion of Iphones isnt that great, I have to admit that many people are caching with them, and Groundspeak is going to lengths to make apps and info available to this type of cacher.

The best advice I can give is to discourage the use of Google Maps to obtain coordinates. They are notoriously inconsistent in their accuracy. Some areas (urban) seem to have precise coords, while some rural areas are wayyy off. I discovered this by looking at the maps section on Geocaching.com. When I pull up caches in my area, it gives me a map of the locations, and all the streets and roads. Yet when I click to the satellite view it becomes apparent that the roads and street "lines" don't match up with the actual picture. I am in a fairly rural area. I have experimented with different areas and the results are far from consistent.

A good way to get some help (aside from posting in a regional forum section here) is to look at some nearby caches, look at the local finders, and maybe shoot someone an email or PM asking if they would mind "beta testing" your coords for you. Its a good way to make a new acquaintance, and to get a real world opinion from someone who would probably hunt your cache anyway.

You could also post on the Iphone section for advice on learning the intricacies of your device!!

Good luck with your hide!! Remember the first impression you give others is usually the lasting one, so try to make your cache a "great one".

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Hi

Thanks

Stillsy

Don't want to cause any ructions, but if I were you I'd disable it for a few days and get over to www.emcache.com where Derby members will be able to give you a quick 1-2-1 on the basics of cache setting. It just seems you may have been a bit previous with your first hide.

Just a thought.

Edited by uk89camaro

You have a cache out (listed 4/2010) but those coords are correct and proper. In fact, it seems to be a darn successful cache.

What's the story here? Did you forget how to do it? A change to equipment that you don't really understand how to use?

jholly provided the perfect response, you need to use the proper settings.

Sorry if it seems stiff-chinned, but you already have a cache placement out, this isn't really a "Getting Started" issue.