GPXSonar

wrtiii

Ok, So I receive my first pocket query today.

I loaded GPXSonar 1.5 onto my pda.

I copy the .zip file I received in my email to my pda and load up GPXSonar and load that file.

It only returned like 20 caches and when I went to view any of them it gave me minimal minimal info on the cache Ie. no hints, no difficulty or terrain rating, no comments etc.

So I tried Cachemate, Well It seemed to work ok except due to being a trial I could only load like 10 caches.

I can't say I am impressed with cachemate, It seems to show only very minimal data compared to GPXSonar.. (see below as I did get GPXSonar giving me more data)

So I checked out this GSAK program. I loaded up my pocket query in it and saw all 500 results, I then exported to another gpx file from GSAK and transfered that to the PDA and Now I get a list of tons of caches and all kinds of data on them including hints (highlight blank area to view hint)

I don't see what the point of GSAK is, What purpose does it serve?

Do I really need it?

Am I going about something wrong? Also is there a way to pull up TB and Geocoin data so If I find one at a cache I can check on the goals of the TB?

When you do a PQ is puts 2 files in the .zip file.

One is a file of all the caches, terrain ratings, difficulty, cache descriptions, etc. It looks like 812568.gpx or some number combo like that.

The other one is a file that has additional waypoints that the cache owners put on their cache pages. For example, coordinates to parking or a trailhead. It looks like 812568-wpts.gpx or some number combo like that.

It sounds like you are putting the whole zip file in your program and the program is reading the "additional waypoints" file and not the "cache info" file.

I would do your PQ, unzip it, and then choose the cache info file to put in to your program. I think that would clear up the issue.

oh, for your other questions:

For GSAK, No you don't reallyneed it. It is really helpful if know how to use it to do what you want, but the learning curve is fairly steep. I 've been an active cacher for 3 years straight and only got it so that I could put cache descriptions on my iPod 80-gb video. Other than that, I don't really use it.

I've never tried checking TB's at the cache site, but I suppose that if you can get on the net, you can just put in it's tracking # and look up the TB page. Through PQ's, I think it will send names of TB's that are listed in the cache with the cache information, but no specific info on the TB itself.

Ok So am I doing this right?? ..

I ran a test pocket query two days ago, which I loaded into GSAK but could not figure out what good the program was.

Tonight I ran another tighter pocket query to my home coords, returned 443 caches.

I loaded this into GSAK, Said like 43 added 74 updated and the rest were already up to date.

So Now I created a .GPX file from GSAK which includes 500+ caches rather than just the 500 from a pocket query.

So I had marked a couple waypoints on my gps the otherday that I want to keep permantly on it. but I see no way on my Garmin 60csx to lock a waypoint in place?

So I open up mapsource, Retrieve all from GPS, then I delete everything from the GPS, make any changes I wish to the waypoints on mapsource then re transfer everything to the empty unit.

Next I loaded the GPX file I made with GSAK into Mapsource and transfer all waypoints to GPS

Now I turned the GPX file into a ZIP file and tossed it on my PDA where I can now open it with GPXSonar.

That's as far as I have gotten so far, hopefully tomorrow I will make it out to try out my new setup.

Any ideas suggestions comments hint or tips? Am I doing this the most efficient way or am I way off base?

Thank for your expertise and advice in advance,

Bill

I'm hardly an expert so don't take my word for it :blink: Read on at your own risk :huh:

GSAK works the same way as MapSource only GSAK is more specific for geocaching. They both send caches to your GPS. I would pick one or the other for now and not worry about the other. Creating a .zip in GSAK to put in to MapSource to send to your GPS is like an unnecessary extra step.

When you download your PQ from the e-mail, it will be a .zip file. I'd unzip it on your computer and then just put the #######.gpx file in to the program of your choice and send those caches to your GPS using the program.

With your GPS, once you have a waypoint on it, it won't be deleted unless you delete it. So you don't really need to retrieve waypoints from your GPS unless you want to save them or save tracks for whatever reason.

When I do it, I delete all my waypoints/caches out of my GPS (except ones I save in my GPS like trailhead parking and such) and then hook my GPS up to my comp and send all the geocaches I just got in my PQ from the program (mapsource or GSAK depending on what you're using) to your GPS. You'll then have all the caches from your PQ in your GPS.

Then the next time I run a PQ I do the same thing and I'll always have current caches in my GPS.

I've never used a PDA so I'm not positive how they work, but I would think it would be easier to just add the #######.gpx file to that too instead of adding the whole .zip file.

A PQ is sent as a zip file

GPXSonar can't read a zip file.

GSAK can open and read zip files.

When you get a PQ, unzip the file and you get two files.

One is 'a string of numbers.gpx' the other is 'a string of numbers wpts.gpx'

BOTH need to be put in the GPXSonar folder on your PDA.

IF you open the PQ zip file in GSAK, you can filter the caches further than the options in the PQ.

ie you can set Corrected co-ordinates for puzzle caches that can be solved at home, and then export as a single GPX file for use in GPXSonar.

'a string of numbers.gpx' This is the file with most of the cache information, description etc.

'a string of numbers wpts.gpx' This file has the additional waypoints of the cache, parking, trailhead, stages of a multi etc.

GSAK will export these two as ONE combined file, which you can rename to suit yourself, ie home caches, local etc

Edited by Bear and Ragged

What simpjkee said.

For loading into GPXSonar - when you receive the zip file open it. You will see 1 or 2 files that simpjkee described inpost #2. Ignore the file with the "wpts". Drag the other file, the one without the "wpts", to your PDA. GPXSonar will find it and use that. Don't drag the entire zip file to your PDA. You do not need GSAK or Mapsource to load the zip file to your PDA.

On The Contrary, A Zip File seems to be all GPXSonar CAN Read .. It does not seem to notice the .gpx files but It does load the .gpx files from within a .zip file.. ??

I always used GPX files exported from GSAK...

However since getting the Oregon 12 months ago, the PDA has been turned off -totally! So can't even check.

Seem to recall placing the GPX file in a folder on the PDA/storage card, then opening GPXSonar and importing the GPX files into GPXSonar.

Maybe someone still using the app will be able to offer further suggestions?

On The Contrary, A Zip File seems to be all GPXSonar CAN Read .. It does not seem to notice the .gpx files but It does load the .gpx files from within a .zip file.. ??

I always used GPX files exported from GSAK...

However since getting the Oregon 12 months ago, the PDA has been turned off -totally! So can't even check.

Seem to recall placing the GPX file in a folder on the PDA/storage card, then opening GPXSonar and importing the GPX files into GPXSonar.

Maybe someone still using the app will be able to offer further suggestions?

I still use GPXSonar. It's like you described. I never load the wpts file as it's things like parking, etc. I'm just interested in the cache description.

Unzip the file you receive from the pocket query. Drag the file without the wpts in it to your PDA. Open GPXSonar. Go to "file". Tap on "load gpx file". There you will see a list of the .gpx files you've placed on your PDA. Tap on which ever file you want to see on GPXSonar. That's all there is to it.

Forget about dropping the .zip file into GPXSonar. That's where it's messing you up. You have to unzip the file first and then drag the files to your PDA.

Edited by Wadcutter

I still use GPXSonar. It's like you described. I never load the wpts file as it's things like parking, etc. I'm just interested in the cache description.

Unzip the file you receive from the pocket query. Drag the file without the wpts in it to your PDA. Open GPXSonar. Go to "file". Tap on "load gpx file". There you will see a list of the .gpx files you've placed on your PDA. Tap on which ever file you want to see on GPXSonar. That's all there is to it.

Forget about dropping the .zip file into GPXSonar. That's where it's messing you up. You have to unzip the file first and then drag the files to your PDA.

I've tried putting .gpx files on my pda and gpxsonar does NOT see them.

There is no FILE option or Load Gpx File option.

The only files it seems to see are .zip files

???

That's what I thought until I got to work today and retrieved my PDA (which is a Windows Mobile 2003 device running GPXSonar v1.5).

If I open GPXSonar it will open the last GPX set. But if I then tap on File my menu choice includes Load Zipped GPX File.

Zut alors! GPXSonar will open both GPX files and ZIP'ed GPX files.

Turning to the OP's original query:

Ok, So I receive my first pocket query today.

I loaded GPXSonar 1.5 onto my pda.

I copy the .zip file I received in my email to my pda and load up GPXSonar and load that file.

It only returned like 20 caches and when I went to view any of them it gave me minimal minimal info on the cache Ie. no hints, no difficulty or terrain rating, no comments etc.

When you open a GPX (ZIP'ed or otherwise) GPXSonar will give you a list of the caches in the GPX file. (I've successfully loaded the full 500 current PQs allow). GPXSonar then relies on your PDA having a web browser. Double-tapping on an entry will the open the cache info in the default browser. There you will see: Cache name; location; difficulty/terrain; short description; long description; notes; etc.

Up to today I've been finding the hints back in the GPXSonar screen by "right-clicking" (i.e. tap and hold) which gives you a Hints menu choice. But thanks to playing around today I have found you can also see the hint in the browser window. Under the line Additional hints (highlight blank area to see) if you tap and drag your stylus the hint is shown. More zut alors!

Having said all this I should also point out that GPXSonar is no longer supported by its developer. So what you see is what you get.

I've tried putting .gpx files on my pda and gpxsonar does NOT see them.

There is no FILE option or Load Gpx File option.

The only files it seems to see are .zip files

???

"file" should be in the lower left corner of the screen. After tapping "file" then you'll see a drop down for "load gpx".

If I open GPXSonar it will open the last GPX set. But if I then tap on File my menu choice includes Load Zipped GPX File.

Mine won't show a zip file. It will only show a gpx or loc file.

I don't have file in the bottom left.

recently switched from an IIIxe Palm to an Axim X3 PocketPC.

Bottom left I have New and Tools only.

Just spent 30 minutes hunting again and I cannot find anyway to make it see or load a gpx file seems it will only find ZIP files within the main documents folder.

*shrugs*

Loaded Cachemate on tonight and think I may start using that.. just gotta figure out how to "hotsync" so that I can more easily update from my logs on the go.

Mine won't show a zip file. It will only show a gpx or loc file.

Are you sure? I didn't think it would either until I tried it this morning. What version are you using? (Tools|About GPXSonar...). The OP and myself are using v1.5.

Ver 1.5 handles its file management in a rather weird way. If there is a ZIP file anywhere on the PDA it will only show ZIP files in any "File/Open" dialog box (and open them). If there are no ZIP files or you change the file name to FILENAME.ZIP.OLD then GPXSonar will show all file types in the "File/Open" dilaogs.

GPXSonar will then open GPX files (and funnily enough the renamed ZIP file).

I don't have file in the bottom left.

recently switched from an IIIxe Palm to an Axim X3 PocketPC.

Bottom left I have New and Tools only.

Just spent 30 minutes hunting again and I cannot find anyway to make it see or load a gpx file seems it will only find ZIP files within the main documents folder.

*shrugs*

Loaded Cachemate on tonight and think I may start using that.. just gotta figure out how to "hotsync" so that I can more easily update from my logs on the go.

Hi wrtii

See my reply above to wadcutter. If there's a ZIP file on your PDA then GPXSonar will only see ZIP files. If there are no ZIP files you should be able to see GPX files.

As far as the open file dialogs go. If there is no GPX file preloaded into GPXSonar when you open it then you will see only New and Tools in the bottom menu line. If there is a ZIP file on the PDA you should see that above and you can open it by clicking on it. If there are no ZIP files you should see a screen with nothing listed in it except for the New & Tools. Tapping New will open a new file manager where you can track down the GPX file.

If GPXSonar has a file loaded when you open it you will see the list of caches in the GPX file and this is where you will see the File|Load Zipped GPX File dialog previously mentioned. Although for wadcutter it appears to be File|Load GPX file?

Are you sure? I didn't think it would either until I tried it this morning. What version are you using? (Tools|About GPXSonar...). The OP and myself are using v1.5.

Positive. I remember trying it when I first used GPXSonar and tried it again the other day when this thread started just to see if I missed something. No zip files show up in the menu.

Using V1.5 too. Wonder if there was a change in 1.5 that didn't get changed to a new version number since it appears the OP isn't seeing "file" either.

Looks like the OP has moved on to Cachemate anyway.

Edited by Wadcutter

Positive. I remember trying it when I first used GPXSonar and tried it again the other day when this thread started just to see if I missed something. No zip files show up in the menu.

Using V1.5 too. Wonder if there was a change in 1.5 that didn't get changed to a new version number since it appears the OP isn't seeing "file" either.

Looks like the OP has moved on to Cachemate anyway.

It may be a wise move although personally I'm still happy with 'Sonar.

But I always like to get to the bottom of things, so just in case another person is looking at this in respect to GPXSonar I think I've sorted out what was going on with the OP when he said he couldn't see anything useful.

On one ZIP file I loaded on the PDA, GPXSonar opened the caches {caches.gpx} in the ZIP'ed file. In another case it opened the (parking lot) waypoints {caches-wpts.gpx} file. Which of course gives a load of nonsense when the data is loaded into the cache format.

Bottom line only use GPX files in GPXSonar

It may be a wise move although personally I'm still happy with 'Sonar.

But I always like to get to the bottom of things, so just in case another person is looking at this in respect to GPXSonar I think I've sorted out what was going on with the OP when he said he couldn't see anything useful.

On one ZIP file I loaded on the PDA, GPXSonar opened the caches {caches.gpx} in the ZIP'ed file. In another case it opened the (parking lot) waypoints {caches-wpts.gpx} file. Which of course gives a load of nonsense when the data is loaded into the cache format.

Bottom line only use GPX files in GPXSonar

I'm sticking with GPXSonar. I've used it for several years and it's worked fine for me. I tried Cachemate and didn't like it near as well.

I understand what you mean by trying to figure out the problem. I'm not a software techie so I'm limited to just playing around seeing what works/what doesn't. Beyond that I'm lost.

Another avenue someone might take if they like the way the cache page looks with GPXSonar is go with GPXView. It doesn't do everything GPXSonar does but the cache page looks almost the same and with my PDA it pulls up the page just a few micro-seconds quicker. I like being able to do the notes with GPXSonar.