Cable for downloading PC to Garmin eTrex

WhidbeyBob

Just got an eTrex Legend in a raffle. Lucky me! Although I have the manual and quick start guide, it didn't come with a cable. My PC doesn't have a RS-232 serial port so I purchased a USB PC & data Cable for Garmin Etrex GPS. I installed the driver that came with the cable, but...my PC doesn't recognize the GPS when I turn the GPS on. Both the PC USB connection and the "slidey Garmin" connection, with 4 pins, seem to be connected correctly and snugly.

I've also gone to the Garmin web site and downloaded their drivers. When I run their Updater.exe it can't find the serial port connection (of course-I don't even have one) and when I select the USB device it says "There are no USB devices available" (even though the GPS is connected and turned on).

So - am I trying to do something impossble by trying to connect to my eTrex via a USB connection OR does my USB cable appear to be defective?

Edited by WhidbeyBob

I will assume this is a Blue Legend.

Under the main menu click setup - then interface. What do you have the interface set to? Garmin?

(This thread might do better in the GPS and Technology forum)

Yes, I have a Blue Legend. The Interface screen says:

Serial Data Format

GARMIN

[sorry for the late reply]

The USB converters can be tricky. I had one once that wouldn't work with my computer, had to take it back and get another brand which worked fine. After some research I foudn out that this can happen. Any chance that it's just a problem with the converter? Is there something else you can try using the converter to see if it is really working with your computer?

Edited by cache_r_joe

I had problems getting my USB to serial converter to work between my laptop and the yellow eTrex.

I can't remember where all I changed settings :) since it's been a couple of years, but make sure that you are using the correct COM port and make sure that both the computer and the GPSr are set to 9600 baud.

I was still having problems, so did a little searching online. I came across a solution, and naively tried it - not realizing the negative potential, since I know almost nothing about computers --- I did a BIOS update. It worked beautifully, and I've been using it since Jan '08. I won't recommend that unless you know computers or have a friend that does, just to be safe.

Check the COM ports and speed settings first.