Deleted Finds

joranda

Is it right for people to delete your finds just because they do not like you or the way you chose to cache? What would you do if it happened to you and it is three different cachers and it is over 80 different cache finds with all logs signed. Would you just say oh well and forget it or would it upset you? I know it would upset me with the price of gas and all. How can one fix this problem?

(I would) compile a list of the deleted finds and send it to appeals at Groundspeak

That was done and after a email back from Groundspeak, two days later 8 more was deleted. After another email to Groundspeak that is where it ended. No reply so after a week or so I was asked to put this debait on the forums. I might copy and paste the compiled list and email that was sent to Groundspeak later if there is people that might like to see it.

How can one fix this problem?

Not look for caches owned by azzes and gurks, and other people that would delete finds for spite.

That would be easy to do now. What about the waste of time and gas money finding the caches? Is this a live and learn thing? If so, then we can all start doing that to people that we dislike without worrying about getting a time out?

How can one fix this problem?

Not look for caches owned by azzes and gurks, and other people that would delete finds for spite.

That would be easy to do now. What about the waste of time and gas money finding the caches? Is this a live and learn thing? If so, then we can all start doing that to people that we dislike without worrying about getting a time out?

Doing what others do to you might feel good, but would make you exactly like them.

(I would) compile a list of the deleted finds and send it to appeals at Groundspeak

That was done and after a email back from Groundspeak, two days later 8 more was deleted. After another email to Groundspeak that is where it ended. No reply so after a week or so I was asked to put this debait on the forums. I might copy and paste the compiled list and email that was sent to Groundspeak later if there is people that might like to see it.

Let's see it. Sounds like there's more to the story.

:huh:

I agree, I'd like to hear both sides of the story. It sounds like it's not about you personally, but about someone you know. Why do the cache owners not like them? Why do they not like how they cache? Do they write insulting logs? If the log deletions are unwarranted, that would be a problem... but it would be good to see why it's happening. Might be for no reason, might be for a good reason.

I agree, I'd like to hear both sides of the story. It sounds like it's not about you personally, but about someone you know. Why do the cache owners not like them? Why do they not like how they cache? Do they write insulting logs? If the log deletions are unwarranted, that would be a problem... but it would be good to see why it's happening. Might be for no reason, might be for a good reason.

Agreed. If you want this to be debated here, we need more information.

The first red flag popped up for me when I read the words, "Is it right for people to..?." Obviously, you want us to say "No, it is not right for people to...!" :huh:

But most of us have had children, and all of us were once children. We learned this game a long, long time ago. Tell us the story, the whole story, and both sides of the story, please.

First of all, I know little, but I do know something... :huh:

What I do know, is second, third and even fourth-hand. I don't know enough to form any type of opinion. That is why I ain't goin' there.

To the OP:

There apparently are some Cache Owners that don't care for you. I do not know why, nor do I care.

Personally, I think it may be a coordinated plot.

I have heard good things about your placements and plan to (eventually) get to some of them.

For the life me, I cannot fathom why somebody would have suggested opening a debate in the forums -- I take it that it was not somebody from GS, as you did not say that.

Just saying... Is this worth opening up a can 'o worms?

Let's see it. Sounds like there's more to the story.

Pass the popcorn thats what I was thinking

Is it right for people to delete your finds just because they do not like you or the way you chose to cache? What would you do if it happened to you and it is three different cachers and it is over 80 different cache finds with all logs signed. Would you just say oh well and forget it or would it upset you? I know it would upset me with the price of gas and all. How can one fix this problem?

Well, I heard of a guy in Virginia, I believe it was, who had a bunch of hata's, and had like 1,000 logs deleted. He documented them all, complete with photos of his signatures, and logged finds on his own archived caches. Don't know if that was officially sanctioned by The Frog, or if it's still going on.

On a much smaller scale, some guy in my area has done it about 10 times. Actually I'm not sure if that's still going on either.

I am finding this curious. joranda is a name I only know from the forum. But one whose opinions I respect.

The conspiracy aspect is bizarre, to say the least. But stranger things have happened.

Assuming (as stated) that the logs were signed, and assuming nothing too untoward has occurred (such as jumping fences to get into closed parks, or languge unbecoming to a family-friendly site (and I suspect that neither of those are the problem)), then, the proper recourse is to appeal to GC. (As has been mentioned.) GC has records of all logs (for determination of language issues.) If it is determined that the logs were improperly deleted, they can be re-instated, and locked. Though this does seem to be a recurring problem. Gas prices and distance are not a determining factor.

There are cache owners with whom I do not get along (surprisingly.) I put their caches on my ignore list. But that does not resolve this problem. Hopefully, GC is taking a long look at this problem, and will soon come to a resolution.

Well, I heard of a guy in Virginia, I believe it was, who had a bunch of hata's, and had like 1,000 logs deleted. He documented them all, complete with photos of his signatures, and logged finds on his own archived caches. Don't know if that was officially sanctioned by The Frog, or if it's still going on.

I know him, have cached with him and know that many (if not all, that I don't know) of those logs were legit. Haven't checked to see if it's still going on but I expect so.

<snip>...If it is determined that the logs were improperly deleted, they can be re-instated, and locked. Though this does seem to be a recurring problem. ...>

My first thought wasn't to jump on Joranda either, but what do you mean by this? gc.com won't reinstate properly logged caches?

Just join your local secret society and buy a bunch of handguns. Shoot some blanks at them :huh:

I am finding this curious. joranda is a name I only know from the forum. But one whose opinions I respect.

Good point. I should have recognized the name, or noticed the number of posts, as well. Still, I maintain that there is most likely more to the story than the scant OP would suggest, and I'm surprised that someone with the forum and caching experience that Joranda has would not fill us in from the start. And then, Gitchee, from hundreds of miles to the north, seems to know something about it that the rest of us don't know. Got my interest piqued, that's for sure!

Not to digress too much... but the "Signal Eating Popcorn" smiley is really really adorable. And now I want popcorn...

*goes to make some popcorn.* :huh:

Make some for me! I'll get the beer...

:blink:

You drink beer from a theatre cup with a straw? Should I try it?

Back on topic, respected poster or otherwise it seems there's a lot more to the story than we are being told. I'm on that bandwagon.

If I were on my 100th cache and someone in my area randomly decided they didn't like me because their dog got sprayed by a skunk somewhere near where my second cousin from a previous uncles, mother-in-laws aunt lived then deleted a dozen of my log entries .... that would piss me off too. But we're all children to some degree or another and it sounds like you are dealing with children. It's not worth the energy, move on.

Cheers

Panda Inc

I know him, have cached with him and know that many (if not all, that I don't know) of those logs were legit. Haven't checked to see if it's still going on but I expect so.

I've honestly forgotten his name. I remember he came on a regional forum a bit north of him, and told the story. And this was at least 3 years ago. But if you know who it is, I'm sure you can check his profile and his archived caches to see if it's still going on.

It seems to be the official position at Groundspeak HQ to ignore the hides of people you have a problem with. Personally, I would do this, if the need ever arose.

No his logs are the,"Found it" type of short logs.

The first red flag popped up for me when I read the words, "Is it right for people to..?." Obviously, you want us to say "No, it is not right for people to...!" :huh:

But most of us have had children, and all of us were once children. We learned this game a long, long time ago. Tell us the story, the whole story, and both sides of the story, please.

We all know it is not right to delete anyones finds if they have really found it and signed the log. That is what Groundspeak tells us. It is in the rules.

First of all, I know little, but I do know something... :huh:

What I do know, is second, third and even fourth-hand. I don't know enough to form any type of opinion. That is why I ain't goin' there.

To the OP:

There apparently are some Cache Owners that don't care for you. I do not know why, nor do I care.

Personally, I think it may be a coordinated plot.

I have heard good things about your placements and plan to (eventually) get to some of them.

For the life me, I cannot fathom why somebody would have suggested opening a debate in the forums -- I take it that it was not somebody from GS, as you did not say that.

Just saying... Is this worth opening up a can 'o worms?

If there are cache owners that do not like me I would like to know why. The only thing I can think of is because I try and still up for people here on the forums when they need it but I guess that is their own business like this is.

I do have some nice caches out but most are archived now the ones that are left I think are my best ones but that is another story.

Why this is brought to the forums? This is a place to go to open up to the people to see what they would do when Groundspeak will not step in to follow their guidelines.

Is it worth opening the can? It is to someone.

<snip>...If it is determined that the logs were improperly deleted, they can be re-instated, and locked. Though this does seem to be a recurring problem. ...>

My first thought wasn't to jump on Joranda either, but what do you mean by this? gc.com won't reinstate properly logged caches?

Yes that is what I mean. After his last email to Groundspeak over a week and a half ago, one of the people still deleted 8 more finds and that was after they was spoken to by Groundspeak. Just because he is on a year ban does that give them the right to delete his finds because they do not like him? That is why he can not go back a just relog them.

Just join your local secret society and buy a bunch of handguns. Shoot some blanks at them :blink:

Masons are bricklayers, we really don't need to carry guns to work. It is not that ruff of a trade. :huh:

Our KB has this text in it about Log Deletion.

In the case joranda is talking about, a lot of people are involved. My advice to joranda is that he not air other people's dirty laundry here. No one enjoys that stinkiness. GSP is already aware and is already acting on it. It takes a while to sort it out since every person has their side of the story.

Feel free to discuss the generalities, if you really must.

Happy International Cache In Trash Out weekend everyone! I'm off to go clean up what's been made unclean.

In the case joranda is talking about, a lot of people are involved. My advice to joranda is that he not air other people's dirty laundry here. No one enjoys that stinkiness. GSP is already aware and is already acting on it. It takes a while to sort it out since every person has their side of the story.

While generally there are "stories" to be heard and lots of drama to sort out when dealing with personal conflicts, it was my understanding that when logs were signed, finds could not be deleted, save log content. I thought that was black and white. Therefore, it seems that one could simply log "found it" and be done with it.

edit: changed "the OP" to "one" to be more "general".

Edited by David

I guess I am just trying to find out if it is ok to do that. Is it ok to delete a found it log just because you don't like that person? If it is ok, is it right for him to delete their finds on his stuff after the ban is lifted without getting another time out for doing it. I know we can all say, be the bigger person but shouldn't they of been the bigger person too than to take it this far? Why cause someone to be banned because you do not like them?

I guess I am just trying to find out if it is ok to do that. Is it ok to delete a found it log just because you don't like that person? If it is ok, is it right for him to delete their finds on his stuff after the ban is lifted without getting another time out for doing it. I know we can all say, be the bigger person but shouldn't they of been the bigger person too than to take it this far? Why cause someone to be banned because you do not like them?

joranda, please follow MissJenn's instructions.

Our KB has this text in it about Log Deletion.

If you are going to open a can of worms, then rip the top off and spill it.

Otherwise, do as MissJenn suggested and let the actual parties involved deal with the issue between themselves and GSP.

Otherwise, do as MissJenn suggested and let the actual parties involved deal with the issue between themselves and GSP.

Why are you trying to stir the pot? There are other topics to deal with if you do not like this one.

Why are you trying to stir the pot? There are other topics to deal with if you do not like this one.

I'm not stirring the pot. You are.

You did not just ask if it was ok to delete found logs if someone had signed the log.

You went on to talk about the ban.

We have no idea what you are talking about. MissJenn asked you to keep it general if you must talk about it.

So, if you are going to keep bringing up the bans, then I for one would like to hear the whole story.

However, it has been heavily suggested to you to leave it between the affected parties, which you have not.

If you want to know if it is ok to delete online logs just because you don't like someone, the answer is no. But you got that answer at the beginning of the thread.