Which GPS In Europe?

I want to upgrade from my Garmin eTrex Legend to something with a lot more accuracy before I move to Europe this summer. I understand WAAS is only available in North American and was wondering if there was an equivalent technology available in Europe. If so, what GPS models can take advantage of it. Thanks.

Short answer: as far as I'm aware, there isn't.

Long answer: apparently there is, and it's the same WAAS system.

The reason I don't think there is: a) I've never had a lock here in Europe (but did in Canada), but others swear that they have and :huh: I did a project at Uni involving GNSS last year, and I'm sure I wrote that WAAS was US only...

Apologies for not really answering...

WAAS is available in Europe, it's called EGNOS here. If a receiver claims to support WAAS, it receives EGNOS too.

You need to know, that some gps receivers only available in the U.S. will not have any maps available for Europe.

So don't take a Bushnell or DeLorme with you.

Best maps for all over Europe are available from/for Garmin, for most countries from Lowrance and Magellan too.

For example, in germany Lowrance brings out a new topo map next month with much more details and colours than the previous version (wich was like the maps Lowrance sells for the U.S.).

If all you want is geocaching, you can take a Magellan eXplorist GC, that holds a street map covering U.S. and Europe.

For a Lowrance Endura, these have local base maps, so better choose one after you moved over.

Or take a Garmin.

You still have a Garmin, if you like a newer model with a touchscreen (simple use) the actual Oregon 450 might a good deal. At a reduced rate you get the Dakota 20.

Later in summer you can get a newer GPSmap 78 or the new eTrex-Model. Both are familiar to the Dakota but comes without a touchscreen.

All newer Garmins, Magellans and Lowrances gives you near the same accuracy.

So all you need to check is, if you want additional maps and how much do you want to spend for.

You can save some money if free maps are ok for you (less details outside from cities). Check out your new location in www.openstreetmap.org for map details you can get with free maps (mostly Garmins).

Short list:

- Garmin Oregon 450

- Garmin Dakota 20

- Garmin eTrex Legend (or Vista) HCx (same look and feel as your actual Legend, but new receiver)

- Magellan eXplorist GC (you cant follow a user added route or manage tracks, so all you can do with that is geocaching only)

- Lowrance Endura Out&Back, Safari or Sierra (Sierra comes with local maps card in Europe, so only take one (or all Enduras) in the new country)

Thanks all for the technology overview and suggestions. Now I feel better equipped to do more research and make an informed decision. It's too bad that Delorme doesn't offer maps of Europe since I've been looking at the PN series, but I'm sure the other models will do the trick.

Thanks all for the technology overview and suggestions. Now I feel better equipped to do more research and make an informed decision. It's too bad that Delorme doesn't offer maps of Europe since I've been looking at the PN series, but I'm sure the other models will do the trick.
This week's "hot ticket" is the 450 (not 450T with the higher price tag) with the $50 Garmin rebate that brings it in under $300. Add to that free maps from sources like this (http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php) and/or topos from gpsfiledepot.com and you'll be good to go.

This will bring you to a new cellular phone (in case it's simlocked or uses only american frequencies) and power converters or new electric devices (we have 230V/50Hz, so your washing machine can stay at home ...)

Choosing a new gpsr was easy compared to this. :huh:

Edited by cterres

This will bring you to a new cellular phone (in case it's simlocked or uses only american frequencies) and power converters or new electric devices (we have 230V/50Hz, so your washing machine can stay at home ...)

Choosing a new gpsr was easy compared to this. :rolleyes:

Mobiles are cheap with a subscription and not worth moving US appliances, they have not evolved since the 50's anyway ! :rolleyes:

Lowrance is getting ready to launch the Endura series in Europe and they will have a very detailed preloaded basemap.

Lowrance is getting ready to launch the Endura series in Europe and they will have a very detailed preloaded basemap.

Will there be any base map updates for US models for those of us who travel abroad?

Lowrance ist getting ready to launch?

In Germany we can buy Enduras since October 2009.

Maybe in some countries this isn't the same situation.

But only a handful shops sells the Endura here, so i would not call it a "launch" it's more like a gently throwing.

The basemap is hardlocked against the units serial number, so you can't change it by yourself. If you take a U.S. Endura with you, europe is mostly blank on the map.

A free map, like from Openstreetmap.org is possible to use, but you need to build the map in Navteq NSF file format and lock it with the serial number of one specific Endura. The Endura uses only dongled maps with DRM.

The basemap is hardlocked against the units serial number, so you can't change it by yourself. If you take a U.S. Endura with you, europe is mostly blank on the map.

I've been looking at the Endura Sierra, so now I"m wondering if there's a way I could get the European basemap onto the U.S. unit, whether through Lowrance or otherwise.

I've been looking at the Endura Sierra, so now I"m wondering if there's a way I could get the European basemap onto the U.S. unit, whether through Lowrance or otherwise.

I know that for our APAC (Australia & New Zealand) unit we are also offering the base map detail on microSD card. I will ask if we are doing the same thing for Europe.

Lowrance ist getting ready to launch?

In Germany we can buy Enduras since October 2009.

Maybe in some countries this isn't the same situation.

But only a handful shops sells the Endura here, so i would not call it a "launch" it's more like a gently throwing.

A free map, like from Openstreetmap.org is possible to use, but you need to build the map in Navteq NSF file format and lock it with the serial number of one specific Endura. The Endura uses only dongled maps with DRM.

Lowrance does not offer it's units if the appropriate software and support base isn't yet available, which is the responsible approach to any product offering. The Accuterra maps haven't been available so it made no sense to make the Endura series available prior to a projected launch.

Be safe.

N

You misunderstood me, the official launch for the Endura in Germany, Austria, Swiss and some other countries was at the end of september 2009.

Since then there were maps for these areas available and localized units.

In magazine reviews the Endura was always the worst new unit they compared, mostly because of a bad map detail quality.

A local company makes new maps this year, exclusively for Germany and Austria and Navico (Lowrances head company) promised to give out free map updates for early buyers of the obsolete first edition.

Compared to Garmin, wich hold about 90% of outdoor gps market in germany, the price of a Endura is higher. So only a few people bought one so far.

I got my Safari from USA (thats why i know the EU-Basemap doesnt work) for 60% of the local price in Germany (350 Euro = $465).

But i can get a Garmin Oregon 450 for 320 Euro ($425), use free maps with it, my own raster image maps and can find commercial maps for every spot in europe like eastern europe too.

This year is soccer world cup in south africa. Thounsands of people traveling to there, but only Garmin has street- an topo-maps available.

So if you stay at home, the Endura lacks on features and firmware updates and costs more than a comparable Garmin here. If you like to travel to foreign countries, you cant get any maps.

Most people i know use the Endura as a win mobile pda with 3rd-party software like ozi explorer.

Installing your own programs on the Endura is quite easy.

The first edition of the "Lowrance Outdoor Germany for Endura" topo-map is on sale for 75 euros (thats 50% discount) and still available, cause only a few people use the Endura with its original software.

Again, the Enduras are in shops since seven months now. EU-Model.

This is the first edition map of germany, since september 2009:

TopoDE.jpg

This is the second edition map of germany, in shops maybe end of may (we wait on fw 1.4):

endura_saarbogen_1-0.jpg

Oh, and this is a home made free map from OpenStreetMap.org-Data (on the right) compared to the new topo (left). You need prefessional mapping tools to render for Endura in *.psf-fileformat.

lsdotqzqppv.jpg

Just a small bunch of enthusiasts playing around with their toys ...

Edited by cterres