GEOCACHERS

The OP has eight finds on this account, which is not that new as things go, so I am not necessarily going to say troll. But if you have to ask on this forum for a suggestion about where to place a cache then you should not be placing one. With a little more experience, you will know . . . perhaps where not to place a micro.

Edited by Erickson

Hi

Could anyone suggest places to hide a micro cache.

eg.bus stop and places like that.

thanks

flyboy

Don't mind all these witty folks, flyboy. I think you're really onto something here -- what this sport needs are more micro's!

Here's an idea: you know how the lights in shopping malls (let's call them "lamp posts") have that flat metal in a square shape around the base (let's call it a "skirt")? Well, I bet you didn't know that if you pull up on the "skirt", you can lift it up. What a great place to hide something (we'll call it a "cache")!

There's no need to get all creative with this great idea of mine -- just find some old medicine bottles, or whatever, stick a wadded up piece of note paper in there, and you're all set!

I'm so proud of this new idea, I'm going to use my made up words and call this new hide a LAMP POST CACHE! Isn't that awesome?!

The best part of this idea is, there are slightly over eleventy billion possible places to put these caches, just in the area I live in! LET NOTHING STOP YOU!!!!111

You're all welcome.

The OP has eight finds on this account and perhaps little experience, so I am not necessarily going to say troll. But if you have to ask on this forum for a suggestion about where to place a cache then you should not be placing one. With a little more experience, you will know.

Okay, I'll amend my statement to "It appears that he's trawling for trouble in a troll-like manner so I'm going to ignore this topic for the time being".

The OP has eight finds on this account, which is not that new as things go, so I am not necessarily going to say troll. But if you have to ask on this forum for a suggestion about where to place a cache then you should not be placing one. With a little more experience, you will know . . . perhaps where not to place a micro.

Most definitely not a troll. He's from The UK, most likely Wales. It's not like there's a micro(s) under a lampskirt in every shopping center in town. Nor is there a rural road where they're hidden every 529 feet. I would have to say cut the poor guy some slack. :huh:

Most definitely not a troll. He's from The UK, most likely Wales. It's not like there's a micro(s) under a lampskirt in every shopping center in town. Nor is there a rural road where they're hidden every 529 feet. I would have to say cut the poor guy some slack. :huh:

FYI ..... here in the UK ,, Lamp posts don't have skirts - well none that i have ever seen anyway

Edited by Smurf

FYI ..... here in the UK ,, Lamp posts don't have skirts - well none that i have ever seen anyway

Firstly you lot are very weird assuming that iam from Wales. Your wrong!!!

Secondly, why did you all just waffle on in sarcasm, about nothing?

Thirdly, Smurf sounds like the smartest on here!

Iam not a n00b! I have done caches in wales because i go to stay at my uncles evry now and again.

And WTF?? is troll? Has anyone got any straight suggestions?

Lastly, the caching container is a mini capsule with waterproof seal.

Thanks

Edited by flyboyovyick

So.. Smurf's sock puppet? :huh:

The main reason for suspecting this is a troll post :

When this thread was started yesterday.

More than you care to know about trolls (w.r.t. the Internet). But being not a "n00b", you know that already, of course.

Straight answer : a good place to hide a micro is an interesting location your want to bring the visitor to, and you're unable to hide a larger cache. Or a clever / unusual / fun hide that requires you to use a micro.

Heck, or just boil it down to : a location where you think people will have fun searching for a cache in.

Edited by Chrysalides

I do have to admit that if you really have no idea where to hide a cache, you probably should find a few more caches, write down the places that you liked best, or ideas that you thought were clever, and keep a list. When you get a pretty good idea of where people hide caches, go ahead and hide your own.

And as the previous poster stated, hide a cache at a place where you think other people would like to find one. A place that you like or think is special in some way, or that has an interesting feature that other people would appreciate being brought to.

Hope that helps.

Iam not a n00b! I have done caches in wales because i go to stay at my uncles evry now and again.

Thanks

This post in and of its self screams "I'M A TROLL" but I'll play like your being honest.

If you honestly need "Suggestions on where to put a micro cache" the easiest cache size to hide, then you should not bother.

There are waaaaaaaaaay to many places and stiles to bother listing to you, it is that plain and simple.

:FlopsInBoat:

Greetings Flyboy! In case you haven't noticed, many cachers on this side of the pond have become annoyed with the proliferation of micros on just about everything found in an urban setting. They are often frowned upon for being unoriginal and boring. This topic has been debated ad nauseum on these boards, hence the witty comments. The short answer to your question would be "Nowhere". There are enough of these types of caches already. The long answer would be "North America". We have a continent full of these types of caches but have not reached one every 0.1 mile (but we are trying...). Good luck and cache on!

Hi

thanks

flyboy

Think crafty............think "other" caches also. I'd hold off until you have a few more finds though. Make whatever your first cache is, fun for the seekers as well as you. We have a couple of series of bus stop caches which were put out in the winter time by a fellow cacher. They are in urban and rural settings, and while they may seem mundane on paper, were put out as not many new caches appear in the winter months around here.

Most definitely not a troll. He's from The UK, most likely Wales. It's not like there's a micro(s) under a lampskirt in every shopping center in town. Nor is there a rural road where they're hidden every 529 feet. I would have to say cut the poor guy some slack. :blink:

Thanks

I'm just going to read that one bit .......... Thank you :huh:

I know that I speak for Bittsen as well as myself when I say that under a rock is a great idea. You then have to surround that rock by other rocks, maybe even pile some rocks on top. This is the BEST place you can hide a micro cache.

Oh, and don't forget that it has to be WAY off the beaten path in the wilderness nowhere near neat tree stumps, rock formations, and beautiful views. make sure it's a plastic film canister with a cracked lid.

Most definitely not a troll. He's from The UK, most likely Wales. It's not like there's a micro(s) under a lampskirt in every shopping center in town. Nor is there a rural road where they're hidden every 529 feet. I would have to say cut the poor guy some slack. :ph34r:

Thanks

I'm just going to read that one bit .......... Thank you :blink:

He just doesn't like American's, that's all. Even though he spells like one of us. :huh:

Well then, here's the official guide to hiding your first cache Nothing in there about dropping a micro at a bus stop, far as I can tell.

Hi

thanks

flyboy

Don't mind all these witty folks, flyboy. I think you're really onto something here -- what this sport needs are more micro's!

Here's an idea: you know how the lights in shopping malls (let's call them "lamp posts") have that flat metal in a square shape around the base (let's call it a "skirt")? Well, I bet you didn't know that if you pull up on the "skirt", you can lift it up. What a great place to hide something (we'll call it a "cache")!

There's no need to get all creative with this great idea of mine -- just find some old medicine bottles, or whatever, stick a wadded up piece of note paper in there, and you're all set!

I'm so proud of this new idea, I'm going to use my made up words and call this new hide a LAMP POST CACHE! Isn't that awesome?!

The best part of this idea is, there are slightly over eleventy billion possible places to put these caches, just in the area I live in! LET NOTHING STOP YOU!!!!111

You're all welcome.

those squares lift????????

really :huh:

Most definitely not a troll. He's from The UK, most likely Wales. It's not like there's a micro(s) under a lampskirt in every shopping center in town. Nor is there a rural road where they're hidden every 529 feet. I would have to say cut the poor guy some slack. :ph34r:

Thanks

He just doesn't like American's, that's all. Even though he spells like one of us. :huh:

Well then, here's the official guide to hiding your first cache Nothing in there about dropping a micro at a bus stop, far as I can tell.

Not saying I don't like Americans, its just they can get a bit annoying when they say aluminium wrong.

Thanks to the person who said under a rock.

I think i will put it under a rock.

And why are you calling me a troll when i am not off topic?

Thanks

Not saying I don't like Americans, its just they can get a bit annoying when they say aluminium wrong.

Thanks to the person who said under a rock.

I think i will put it under a rock.

And why are you calling me a troll when i am not off topic?

I was going to quote and second WRITE SHOP ROBERT's first post.

Now, I am not going to.

I will say however, that if you must come to the forums to ask where to hide something so tiny -- WHY?

I mean, it's not like hiding an ammo can or an eight liter pail, ya know.

Two reasons that you had sticks and stones thrown at you:

1 -- MANY people don't care too much for micros; (hence, hostility)

2 -- That you actually have to ask where you should hide one (kind of like opening the door, just so it can be slammed in your face).

Not that it is proper, but the question as you asked it, does have a tendency to evoke foul thoughts.

I find it funny that some people find the need to proclaim "Troll" to a noob that posts a question that isnt up to their standards.Not too sure what calling someone that is supposed to accomplish.

Anyways..Flyboy.Micro caches are ok in my book,but much better if people use some level of creativity to place them,like bringing someone to a special place or creating a puzzle, or a clever clue to the cache.Try and make it interesting and fun to find,even if its just a micro being found.Remember "its not the kill,its the thrill of the chase". :rolleyes:

Now, I am not going to.

I will say however, that if you must come to the forums to ask where to hide something so tiny -- WHY?

2 -- That you actually have to ask where you should hide one (kind of like opening the door, just so it can be slammed in your face).

Not that it is proper, but the question as you asked it, does have a tendency to evoke foul thoughts.

Well, you know, I was the one who said he is "most definitely not a troll", even though he quoted me above. :rolleyes:

No, don't put it under the rock, hang it. It has a round aluminum (which I can't pronounce correctly) thing on it to hang it with, correct?

IMHO, there are more than enough micros out there, most seem to be hidden just for the sake of sticking a cache somewhere. With that in mind, you should put that micro......... Nevermind, I'll get locked off the forums.

This isn't to say micros don't have their place in the game, but please don't just throw one out in a spot that could otherwise support a cache the kids, little and big, would have more fun digging through.

Note: poster has now fallen off his soapbox.

I'll play nice....

The best advice that I ever heard on the subject was that when you find a place to put a cache, use the biggest container that you can hide.

Also, try to find a spot where there is more of a reason to go to than just a smiley.

Hi

thanks

flyboy

IMHO, there are more than enough micros out there, most seem to be hidden just for the sake of sticking a cache somewhere. With that in mind, you should put that micro......... Nevermind, I'll get locked off the forums.

This isn't to say micros don't have their place in the game, but please don't just throw one out in a spot that could otherwise support a cache the kids, little and big, would have more fun digging through.

Note: poster has now fallen off his soapbox.

Hey it's almost summer... say what you want, then go caching for three weeks. Who needs forums now?

Hi

thanks

flyboy

Dumpster. Garbage can. Trash compactor. Landfill.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of most micros. Just look around, find an interesting spot that is fun to visit, and hide it there.

Hi

thanks

flyboy

Dumpster. Garbage can. Trash compactor. Landfill.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of most micros. Just look around, find an interesting spot that is fun to visit, and hide it there.

I'll have to say that I actually quite like micros. Using a small container opens up a lot of hiding locations that would otherwise not be available.

Finding yet another ammo can full of the cheapest possible toys and doodads, usually well used, and even sometimes actual garbage, just holds no thrill for me.

A Dane, a German, and a Frenchman paved the way for an American to produce inexpensive aluminum. So spell it any way you like. I don't think you even get a vote on the proper pronunciation.

Use a little imagination in any cache hide of any size. If you have to ask, you're probably not ready yet.

I will not claim that every micro is lame. Comparatively they have a higher lame percentage than other sizes, but that percentage is not 100. No cache size or type is immune to being lame.

The 5 most common hide types:

1) Lamp Post Skirt

2) Guardrail

3) Sign post

4) fence, fence post cap

5) In a bush

They all have been overdone, and most cachers get tired of seeing them. I promised myself never to hide 4 of those 5 (I've done a fence, and a fence post cap hide).

The good thing about micros is they are cheap, and easy to camo. They also reduce the chance of a muggle finding your cache. And sometimes, yes even in a nice place, that's the only cache that can fit.

My best suggestion is spend the summer finding caches, make sure you're going to continue caching for a few years, and then with that experience and excitement find a great place to bring people to and hide a cache there. Also spend some time on the cache page making it interesting to read. This shows your level of care for your cache.

Now, I am not going to.

I actually think this shows a level of intelligence, to ask where to put a micro that people won't automatically dismiss!

There are a lot of micro's out there that are stunning pieces of engineering in the most outrageous places that really make you go WOW in a way that a rusty ammo can in a ditch cannot compete with.

Well done for asking, at least he didn't do the obvious and place a LPC :rolleyes:

Hides back under the rock....ooh look, a micro...anyone got apen ? :rolleyes:

do you spend much time in this forum?

I call TROLL!

New account, no post history.

I call noob!

New account,no post history..

Nice way to greet new members.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But at the time of his original post, the nanos at bus stops thread was just 3 lines down the front page. It did make it very suspicious.

So, I would suggest that in order to not be thought of as trolling, that new members might want to lurk a bit to see how things work. And it's always a good idea to use the search function before posting; especially if you are new to a board.

Last, but not least, you just might want to skim the first page or two and see if there is already an active thread about the topic before you open a new one just above the previous one. Otherwise, folks might think you are a sock puppet.

I call TROLL!

I call noob!

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But at the time of his original post, the nanos at bus stops thread was just 3 lines down the front page. It did make it very suspicious.

So, I would suggest that in order to not be thought of as trolling, that new members might want to lurk a bit to see how things work. And it's always a good idea to use the search function before posting; especially if you are new to a board.

Last, but not least, you just might want to skim the first page or two and see if there is already an active thread about the topic before you open a new one just above the previous one. Otherwise, folks might think you are a sock puppet.

I agree..I did a lot of reading even before purchasing a membership,and plan on doing more caching before placing one.I think that some new folks just get a little overly exited about this unique game and want to get started before doing their homework.No real harm there,maybe just politely lead them in the right direction.I think that calling new people "trolls" is of no help and is definitely not a nice greeting.I have seen this done on several occasions and all it caused was grief ,and makes the person not feel welcome here, when they were just beginners jumping the gun a bit.I will welcome their questions with respect and give intelligent answers if I can,or point them in the right direction.That is helpful,but calling a new visiter or member a troll is just plain rude.Around the time of the first posts I made here I was called a "sock puppet".I didnt even know what that meant.Calling new people who visit this forum "troll" and "sock puppet" sounds a little like paranoia to me.

I call TROLL!

I call noob!

I agree..I did a lot of reading even before purchasing a membership,and plan on doing more caching before placing one.I think that some new folks just get a little overly exited about this unique game and want to get started before doing their homework.No real harm there,maybe just politely lead them in the right direction.I think that calling new people "trolls" is of no help and is definitely not a nice greeting.I have seen this done on several occasions and all it caused was grief ,and makes the person not feel welcome here, when they were just beginners jumping the gun a bit.I will welcome their questions with respect and give intelligent answers if I can,or point them in the right direction.That is helpful,but calling a new visiter or member a troll is just plain rude.Around the time of the first posts I made here I was called a "sock puppet".I didnt even know what that meant.Calling new people who visit this forum "troll" and "sock puppet" sounds a little like paranoia to me.

Because i am new to the forum. Why take the p*ss???? Why???

Hi flyboyovyick, welcome to the fun of the forums...

Where you choose to place that micro as your first ever cache is very much up to you and your own inspiration. Think about the caches you've found so far: Which were the best, or most interesting ones, to you? What made you remember the 'very best' one?

I suggest you keep the micro in your pocket until you go somewhere and see something that makes you think, "That would be a great place for a cache. There's no space here where I can hide anything large but I could hide the micro and tell people about this spot on the cache page so that it sounds like somewhere good to visit..."

MrsB (from down in the southeast corner :rolleyes: )