Internet access in the field?

Hi all,

For special caching trips beyond the average day trip, say in lands unknown on vacation, I find myself occasionally desiring internet access in the field.

I don't have any fancy cell phone (I use a pay as you go throw away), and I don't want a $50/mo data plan subscription on [insert cell phone network here]. I'm curious if there are any other options for special internet access beyond wifi connectivity at Starbucks (I spend a lot of time rural caching)? I know the 3G iPad coming out (soon?) allows for a month-by-month/pay-as-you-need 3g data plan, which sounds nice, but I'm not sure my only occasional use of such a data plan is worth the iPad cost (and my giving money to the evil Apple).

Can anyone else suggest perhaps some other pay-as-you-go internet access plans, perhaps utilizing a laptop/notebook or even a cell phone? I don't mind the up front cost of a cell phone, but I want to avoid any subscription fees on account of my rare use of the data plan.

Thanks!

Can anyone else suggest perhaps some other pay-as-you-go internet access plans, perhaps utilizing a laptop/notebook or even a cell phone? I don't mind the up front cost of a cell phone, but I want to avoid any subscription fees on account of my rare use of the data plan.

There are various prepaid data plans, but they are not cheap. AT&T, for example, has a $15 per day, $30 per week and $50 per month pass. I'm not sure what kind of connectivity you can expect out in rural areas.

The Kindle has full time connectivity to the cellular network without monthly fee. I've not heard anyone rave about the Kindle as an Internet access device, probably for good reason. If it is good, Amazon would charge a monthly fee.

it's slow but better than nothing.. i have a normal cellphone with unlimited data.. not a smart phone so it's a little cheaper..

when i must, i use my usb cable and dial a pre-paid internet dial up account. slow as christmas, but if you got the time, the data is there. even works driving down the road.

i have heard of people getting fast internet access with a droid.. but i do not understand how that would work. i only can speak for what i have done.

the pay as you go internet is nice.. lob them 20 bucks and i'm good for over a year.. i usually find wifi at a public place or hotel room so i don't use it so much anymore. my provider is bamnet.. i'm sure there are others. i included the name as it was hard for me to discover.. certainly not an advertisement.

i have read that the pay as you go cell phones do not allow you to connect them to a pc so there'd be a change for you there as well..

If you're going somewhere without cell coverage Inmarsat's BGAN terminals allow you to access the internet from anywhere on Earth with a clear view of the sky, but at rates that generally can't be affordded by the average geocacher.

Meh. No coverage at the poles.

I can't even find out how much it costs. I guess it is one of those "if you have to ask" kind of things.

More often than not now, the wife and I camp by motel now rather than the old tent or trailer. We've found that even in fairly remote out of the way places, wifi is pretty common in the motels, even in the areas that don't have cell phone coverage. A little netbook doesn't cost much, and virtually all of them have wifi cards built in.

As for wireless data plans, most of what I consider off the beaten path means no cell coverage of any type.

I have a Kindle and have been using it in the field for Internet access. I have to say that it has been awesome - although I haven't tried it in any uber-rural areas yet.

The browser on the Kindle is experimental and is fairly limited, but accessing the WAP site (wap.geocaching.com) makes the kindle a useful internet connection.

They are typically $30 per month. Its like broadband though. Once you get that, you never go back to dialup.

I feel a little sorry for you americans. Here in sweden it´s not that costly. I pay about 10 USD for the 3G phone service and 3000 text messages a month,and thats the total cost for me because I don´t use more than that. In addition I pay 10 USD for 500 MB GPRS data trafic. Using Google Maps and Nokia OviMaps and a little bit of www those 500 MB are quite sufficient.

And we have very good phone coverage in Sweden. It´s quite densily populated here and we doesn´t have any deserts at all or mountain areas way of civilisation.

/Calle

I feel a little sorry for you americans.

Just for that, we're not sharing our satellites :)

<_<

Hey, things are not so bad now. We're only a few months behind Europe and Asia now, instead of 2 years, for new phones (excluding phones by US companies).

We're always behind because companies here are not interested in bringing any new products/services to market until they are sure they've squeezed every last penny out of the last ones. When market share drops, they release new products. There's no mystery to that.