In range vs. In Proximity

Eagle93

What is the difference between these two settings for a zone? Does a zone have to be "in range" from the current position before distance/bearing will display?

Does "In Proximity" indicate the distance at which the "on Enter" event will fire for the zone?

Working on my first catridge and want to make sure I have this right.

Thanks!

What is the difference between these two settings for a zone? Does a zone have to be "in range" from the current position before distance/bearing will display?

Does "In Proximity" indicate the distance at which the "on Enter" event will fire for the zone?

Working on my first catridge and want to make sure I have this right.

Thanks!

The Distance sets the distance where the player gets the distance and bearing. It can also be used to trigger events.

Proximity allows you to set a different trigger.

At least that's what I use it for.

that's right

Distance is the distance where the zone becomes visible in list of zones

Proximity is a shorter distance - it can be used for triggering events, or for showing items when within it

Enter is separate from that - OnEnter fires when the player actually enters the shape

OnProximity fires when the player is within Proximity to the shape, and OnDistance is when she gets within Distance.

Zone_events.png

the red dot in the middle is the zone's actual shape

Zone_events.png

the red dot in the middle is the zone's actual shape

Thank you for the illustration. However I am still looking for answers to the following questions and I am wondering if you might know the answer:

- are the distances (red arrows) measured to the "zoneXXX.OriginalPoint" point or to the 'nearest' edge?

- if the former - how does it work if this point is outside the actual zone?

- if the latter, it seems to be computational very expensive

Related questions:

- does the arrow (and indication of distance) point to the "zoneXXX.OriginalPoint" point or to the 'nearest' edge?

- if it always uses the edge, what is the point of "zoneXXX.OriginalPoint" ?

- are the distances (red arrows) measured to the "zoneXXX.OriginalPoint" point or to the 'nearest' edge?
nearest edge
- if the latter, it seems to be computational very expensive
it is! that's why you can't effectively have more than 8 zones on Oregons. (it is possible, via a hack in a cartridge, to change this to consider only OriginalPoint - the most visible result is that OnEnter behaves rather unexpectedly, but it works quite well)

- does the arrow (and indication of distance) point to the "zoneXXX.OriginalPoint" point or to the 'nearest' edge?
nearest edge - specifically, nearest point of the nearest edge

(unless you employ the hack mentioned)

- if it always uses the edge, what is the point of "zoneXXX.OriginalPoint" ?
hard to tell ;e) items dropped in the zone are located on the OriginalPoint, can't think of anything else

so yes, you can have an item "physically" located outside the zone (its ObjectLocation), but logically contained in the zone (Container)

it is possible, via a hack in a cartridge, to change this to consider only OriginalPoint - the most visible result is that OnEnter behaves rather unexpectedly, but it works quite well

Could you tell me more about this hack? I suppose you could collapse the whole zone into a single point - is that what you mean?

that's not it. due to the way the official Player is designed, you can poke into some of its internals from Lua. one of the interesting methods handles calculating distances to zones.

you can replace this method by your own, which calculates distance to a single point.

this obviously won't work in openwig, but it does no harm there either, and openwig is already highly optimized to handle the load of many active zones at once