Garmin 78 marine series features paperless geocaching

>>- Oregon x50/Dakota OS and software with some design changes to work with hard keys

I hoped they would implement a new software-system.

I do not like the Oregon/Dakota/Colorado-OS -> to many leaks, very slow, missing a lot of funktions which were implemented in the old gpsmap60-system

>>- Oregon x50/Dakota OS and software with some design changes to work with hard keys

I do not like the Oregon/Dakota/Colorado-OS -> to many leaks, very slow, missing a lot of funktions which were implemented in the old gpsmap60-system

I agree completely. I can work my 60 without having to look at it when I'm driving. I know which buttons do what by feel. I can go to the page I need without taking my eyes off the road. That for me was one of the major sticking points for using the Oregon as a driving GPSr.

I agree completely. I can work my 60 without having to look at it when I'm driving. I know which buttons do what by feel. I can go to the page I need without taking my eyes off the road. That for me was one of the major sticking points for using the Oregon as a driving GPSr.

I've been using a 76CSx for 5 years. I've managed to leave it on the hood of my truck too many times. It's bounced down the road, across parking lots, etc. It's getting pretty wonky now so I'm planning on buying a replacement. Until now, I've been seriously considering the Oregon 450. The paperless aspect of geocaching was leading me that way rather than simply purchasing a replacement 76CSx.

Like OReviewer, I'm extremely comfortable with the button placement of the 76CSx and I know how to to exactly what I want to do with it. I've been unsure about going to the Oregon touch screen and having to learn an entirely new unit. The button placement on the 78s is the same as on the 76CSx. I'm wondering if the operation is similar or if, when I hit the familiar buttons, I'll get screens and functions that I don't recognize. There will obviously be SOME changes because of the paperless feature. I'd really like to see a screen shot of the paperless functionality of the 78s to be sure it's the full deal and not some truncated sort of paperless feature.

If I could be sure that the functionality of the unit would be the same as my current 76CSx and that the paperless functions would be full-featured, I'd put in my order right now.

It's on the REI web site but only for "back order". Nobody actually has them for sale yet. The Garmin site contains this text:

Note: This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

I got my 78S in the mail today. It won't fit into the same RAM cradle that I used for my 76CSx but that's not really a huge problem. I went to send a bunch of geocaches to it using GSAK and realized that the unit isn't listed in GSAK. I'm wondering what unit to tell the program I have. Any suggestions?

The GSAK import/export macro's worked without a problem for me.

I checked and the latest version of GSAK lists models such as the Oregon, nüvi, etc. so I decided to tell GSAK I had an Oregon 400 and just send the cache info directly the same way I did with my 76CSx. Wow! It worked great. It even gave me a choice of how many logs to send to the unit - I chose 6. It shows me 6 logs - including my DNF a few months ago. It shows 5 recent logs and my old DNF.

It's interesting to calibrate the compass. With my 76CSx I had to hold the unit level and then spin it slowly approximately 3 times around to calibrate the compass. With the 78S the screen said to turn it slowly until prompted. I did that and it only took a single turn. Then I was prompted to roll the unit. I rolled it a full turn and it said that was enough. Finally, it asked me to flip the unit end over end. It only took a single time for that as well and then it said calibration was complete. Even though there were 3 separate motions to the calibration, it took about the same amount of time as the single motion for the 76CSx. The 76CSx needed to be held level for the compass to work properly. The 78S doesn't care how you hold it.

I've been home sick all day and don't feel like hitting the field to test the unit this evening. Tomorrow is a furlough day (I work for the state of CA) and I'm hoping to feel better then and get out for a practical test with some geocaches.

Just confirmed that the GPSMAP 78 supports 5k geocaches. The interesting thing I noticed (and this might be true on the Oregon as well) is I can load more than 5k geocaches. When I plug the unit into BaseCamp I see all geocaches (I tried 5500 in my test) but they don't show up any place on the unit itself, it seems to truncate the list to 5k.

Not sure of your exact question but the geocaching functionality is almost identical to the Oregon.

What specifically are you looking for?

I'm exceedingly sad to hear that.

I am looking for waypoints and geocaches on one list.

The ability to get cache data from an additional waypoint without having to go 5 or 6 screens.

The ability to create field notes for a cache after stage 7 without having to go back and route to the posted coords.

The ability to have a geocaching compass screen that works for additional waypoints.

I want to be able to type in cache info and be able to create a field note for it w/o needing to upload a gpx from a computer.

Not related to Geocaching specifically (and something I can't find on my Oregon) is the ability to choose between on road and off road when I select a waypoint.

I want to be able to upload to it and not have to reset it because it is in the data mode or whatever it is called.

I want a boot time that isn't related to how many maps I have on it.

Edited by OReviewer

Understood, I'd love to see some of these fixed as well. I was doing some long multi/mysteries last week and navigation to intermediate points is a pain esp. if you need to switch back to the cache page/logs to get information, log fieldnotes, etc. Unfortunately there isn't much change on the GPSMAP 78.

The 78 does have the "Prompted" navigation mode which will ask you if you want to navigate on road or off road (like the 60csx). You can also be in one mode and select <FIND> to toggle the mode of your current navigation.

I took the new GPS out for a short trial run. The accuracy was excellent and the unit was easy to use. It'll take a while to get totally familiar with how it works and I had to go into the setup and add a couple of pages to the list and rearrange the order a bit to suit myself. I'll probably tweak that kind of stuff more as time goes on. Overall I really like the unit.

The only bad thing I've found is that it locked up on me THREE TIMES while navigating around town. It locked twice while recalculating when I failed to follow the route it chose and once when I switched from "on road" to "off road". I had to hold the power button and turn the thing off. I'll have to wait and see if this is a common issue that Garmin will fix with a firmware update or if it's just my unit. If the problem persists I'll have to return it. Hopefully it won't be something that continues to happen or, if it's common, hopefully Garmin will issue an update right away. Sadly, they seem to use their customers as testers these days.

Just confirmed that the GPSMAP 78 supports 5k geocaches. The interesting thing I noticed (and this might be true on the Oregon as well) is I can load more than 5k geocaches. When I plug the unit into BaseCamp I see all geocaches (I tried 5500 in my test) but they don't show up any place on the unit itself, it seems to truncate the list to 5k.

Ok, I'm a bit confused here. Garmin's info site says it can hold 2k waypoints. Where did you get the 5k info?

Cut from Garmin's web site:

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes Ability to add maps: yes Built-in memory: 1.7 GB Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included) Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000 Routes: 200 Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

The only bad thing I've found is that it locked up on me THREE TIMES while navigating around town. It locked twice while recalculating when I failed to follow the route it chose and once when I switched from "on road" to "off road". I had to hold the power button and turn the thing off. I'll have to wait and see if this is a common issue that Garmin will fix with a firmware update or if it's just my unit. If the problem persists I'll have to return it. Hopefully it won't be something that continues to happen or, if it's common, hopefully Garmin will issue an update right away. Sadly, they seem to use their customers as testers these days.

I'm assuming this is with City Navigator, yes? I haven't seen any lock ups, but haven't been using CN.

I'm assuming this is with City Navigator, yes? I haven't seen any lock ups, but haven't been using CN.

Yes, City Navigator 2011.10

Ok, I'm a bit confused here. Garmin's info site says it can hold 2k waypoints. Where did you get the 5k info?

I loaded a gpx file from GSAK with 5500 geocaches and verified that they showed up on the unit (well I spot checked a bunch, not all 5000!). It will actually give you a warning when you exceed the 5000, so I'm pretty confident it has a 5k limit.

Waypoints and geocaches are separate databases on all the newer units and have different (and separate) limits.

Question about geocache listings. On my 76CSx the caches could be listed in order of proximity to my location. As I drove around, the list would reorder itself. With the 78S it doesn't seem to reorder itself when I drive around. I can go to the compass screen or another screen and then back to the geocache screen and the listing seems to still be in the same order it was before even though the nearest cache is no longer the first one on the list.

Is this normal for units using this type of software such as the Oregon, etc.?

My 78 only lists by "nearest" (as you described) but I haven't noticed whether the order changes. Turn it off and then back on and see if it "re-orders" only when power cycled. That's when it goes through it's file saving routine.

ie: Turn it on and move enough so that you know you've changed the nearest order. Then off and back on....

My 78 only lists by "nearest" (as you described) but I haven't noticed whether the order changes. Turn it off and then back on and see if it "re-orders" only when power cycled. That's when it goes through it's file saving routine.

ie: Turn it on and move enough so that you know you've changed the nearest order. Then off and back on....

It will reorder then but I don't want to have to turn it off and back on in order to reorder the geocaches! That would be nuts. I should be able to reorder them on the fly. Maybe I can and just haven't figured out how yet. This unit works soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much different from my 76CSx. I have to get it figured out soon as I'm leaving on a 2 week camping and caching trip heading up to GW VIII.

....If you move and want to see a list resorted by distance you need to exit the list and come back.

If I understand correctly, Thrak is saying that his 78S is not reordering when leaving and returning to the list. Are you stating that you have checked this behaviour on your own 78S?

The 78 series has been out for a while now and I'm suprised at the lack of screen comparisons, either photo's or comments, out there on the internet.

Screen readability is arguably one of the big selling points of the new 78/62 line and I can't seem to locate a decent comparison to the Oregon's, Colorado's, Dakota's, or the old 60CSX. Anybody know where to find a good comparison, either in photo's or description?

The 78 series has been out for a while now and I'm suprised at the lack of screen comparisons, either photo's or comments, out there on the internet.

Screen readability is arguably one of the big selling points of the new 78/62 line and I can't seem to locate a decent comparison to the Oregon's, Colorado's, Dakota's, or the old 60CSX. Anybody know where to find a good comparison, either in photo's or description?

Nope, but I can tell you I've been very happy with the readability of the screen on the 78S.

Nope, but I can tell you I've been very happy with the readability of the screen on the 78S.

I'm glad your happy with your purchase and that you find the screen readability suitable but some are "very happy" with the screen readability of their Oregons too.

Is there a reviewer or user out there planning to do some sort of qualitative comparison? I know it's time consuming and there is more to life than GPS, especially in the summer time but many of us "nerds" take pleasure in this type of thing. Just curious.

I'm glad your happy with your purchase and that you find the screen readability suitable but some are "very happy" with the screen readability of their Oregons too.

Is there a reviewer or user out there planning to do some sort of qualitative comparison? I know it's time consuming and there is more to life than GPS, especially in the summer time but many of us "nerds" take pleasure in this type of thing. Just curious.

Ok. Let me revise my statement to say that I find the screen readability to be consistent with that of my 76CSx. One of the BIG concerns I had with purchasing an Oregon was the constant reporting of poor readability in sunlight. I'd never had an issue with my76CSx and I find the 78S to be on par with that unit. If I wasn't leaving on a 2 week caching and camping tip through Oregon and Washington (to include GW VIII) I might be willing to make some screen shots with the 78S in bright daylight, night time, etc. However, I couldn't post them along with shots from an Oregon or Colorado because I chose to purchase the 78S.

I'm sorry I can't provide comparison screen shots --- and trust me, I would have LOVED to see them before making my decision on which unit to purchase as I paid $400 to purchase this new unit --- but, as I said before, I'm pretty happy with the readability of the screen on the 78S. From what I've read in a number of threads, I'm getting better readability than you will get with the Oregon or Colorado.

I can't state that as an unequivocal fact since I don't have a Colorado or Oregon to use as a comparison. However, I do have the statements of numerous other people who have said that the 76CSx and the 60CSx had much better daylight readability than the Oregon or the Colorado and I am stating that I find the daylight readability of the 78S to be, in my opinion, as good as that of my 76CSx.

Obviously you don't know me and I may just be a fanboi for Garmin. (Actually, I am somewhat of a Garmin fanboi.......) I don't expect you to take my word as a definitive answer but I offer it in the spirit of community information as someone who is just trying to be helpful. I stand by my prior statement that I'm quite satisfied with the performance of the screen on the 78S. I would "guess" that the 62 series will follow in the same vein. It makes sense for Garmin to use the same screen technology for the 76 series and the 60 series when implementing the 78 series and the 62 series. They don't have to re-engineer the screen for touch screen functionality. They have a proven technology that it makes sense to stick with in the newer models that have the same form factor. It's my thought that implementation of the touch screen functionality is the reason for the degradation of the readability in the Oregon and Colorado. Garmin changed the basic makeup of the screen to incorporate touch screen functionality with the result that the readability under full sunlight conditions was considerably degraded.

NOTE: I am not in any way connected with Garmin and I don't have even a tiny bit of expertise as far as the technical side (heck, ANY side) of the screen readability issue is concerned. I'm just a dork geocacher giving his opinion based on my own observations.

The reason you cant find a decent screen comparison between 78,Oregon,Dakota, 60/76 series is because the 78 is UN-ARGUABLY better. Why argue about something that is obvious? Turn it on inside,outside, sun or shade, and YOU CAN SEE IT !, no tilting, turning, shading the screen,etc

Some folks are totally happy with their Os & Ds, but no one says that screen visibility on them is better that the older 60's / 76's. The 78s ARE even clearer and sharper than those older models. I have a 76CSx, an Oregon 550, and a 78S.

Forget the number of pixels ! and all the scientific babel.....again...turn it on and you can instantly SEE IT !