Geocaching is boring!

I am a member of a camping website where someone posted a question asking people if they Geocache.

Several people said they did and one member posted that he tried it once and found it boring.

Someone responded that if they find a hike and finding stuff boring that they would like to know what they find exciting?

I guess it can be boring to some people. Much like quilting is boring to me but excites others.

I myself have become obsessed with Geocaching.

Quilting and needlepoint... not so much...

I am a member of a camping website where someone posted a question asking people if they Geocache.

Several people said they did and one member posted that he tried it once and found it boring.

Someone responded that if they find a hike and finding stuff boring that they would like to know what they find exciting?

I guess it can be boring to some people. Much like quilting is boring to me but excites others.

I'm just obsessed.

I'm saving quilting and needlepoint for when I'm too old to cache.

I've already done my stint at crocheting and cross stitching (which is different from needlepoint, I think) as well as fabric paints.

I quilt and needlepoint AND I geocache. What does that make me? Heck, I knit too! We've been doing it a little over four years, and we're still not quite at 1000 yet. It's all that working 70+ hours a week, really gets in the way of my caching :laughing: Our goal is to get 1000 by Geowoodstock at the very least. Only a little more than 100 to go!

I actually met a guy at a picnic once who noticed the GPS on my belt loop. This picnic was a couple hundred miles from my house, so of course I cached on the way. He was a GPS owner, and ATV enthusiast. We were talking about the GPS, and of course I told him I was a cacher. He said he tried it, but wasn't interested. I kid you not, he said all the caches near his house were in parking lots. And this was the summer of 2005!!!!!

Are mine and brslk's posts actually on topic, seeing at the OP was trying to trick us with the title? :laughing:

I quilt and needlepoint AND I geocache. What does that make me? Heck, I knit too! We've been doing it a little over four years, and we're still not quite at 1000 yet. It's all that working 70+ hours a week, really gets in the way of my caching :laughing: Our goal is to get 1000 by Geowoodstock at the very least. Only a little more than 100 to go!

You should be able to knock out a few around here in the beginning of May :blink:

Just kidding. :laughing:

It's only boring when there isn't enough time to go out and find some. I've been a little too busy lately and my stats are starting to suffer. I am going to have to pick up the pace this summer, if I am ever going to reach 1000 finds this year.

I'm in the same boat. In my first two years I averaged about 105 caches days a year. Last year I had 65. So far this year I've only cached on 8 days and have only found 17 caches since the first of the year.

I haven't been out going on 4 weeks now and it's driving me nuts! Geocaching is a great corallary to hiking...or is it the other way around...either way it gets me off the couch and out the door. Boring? Absolutely not! Sitting at home watching a poker tournament on <insert favorite sports channel> on a sunny Sunday afternoon...now that's boring.

I found out quickly that caching gets boring when you go to the same type of hides, in easy to access places, over and over and over (obviously, this applies to me -- this type of experience seems to thrill the willies out of a lot of other cachers...).

To keep the game interesting, I now go for caches that require a hike, climb, bike ride, tree climb, good head scratching, paddle, or swim.

Ideally, as many of these together as possible would yield the bestest caching!

We've been caching for about three years now and we've found 21 caches as of April 22nd, 2010.

You might want to change your search method.

For instance, look under three or four lamp post skirts in most any large parking lot, and you're almost guaranteed to find treasure.

Plus, if you act stealthy about it, you might get to see your local bomb squad in action! Bonus!

Just kidding. :huh:

It's only boring when there isn't enough time to go out and find some. I've been a little too busy lately and my stats are starting to suffer. I am going to have to pick up the pace this summer, if I am ever going to reach 1000 finds this year.

Have you been to the Palm Springs area lately :blink:

Edited by vagabond

Caching only seems boring to me when it's located in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. Seriously?

Ironically enough, it was exactly that kind of "boring" hide that almost turned me off to the hobby forever, because the geocache was placed only a few feet away from poison ivy.

The next three weeks were spent alternating from screaming, ranting, cursing, taking long scorching hot showers, to plotting to hunt down the cache owner so I could spank him with a horse whip him till he cried.

I'm feeling MUCH better now though. :huh:

Edited by LincolnAdams

Are you on "sleeping in tents"? I had asked that question some time ago.

Are you on "sleeping in tents"? I had asked that question some time ago.

I am on a few but not that one. The one I was referring to was rv.net.

Okay, maybe I'm obsessed, but maybe I'm not. No matter what I just love to get out caching. I just hit 100 last weekend and want to hit 250 by the end of this year. I started last year. I am thankful that there are so many different kinds of caches in my area. Did I mention I love to cache? Well I do. I got out of the hospital on 5/2 (after a heart ablation) and I found two caches on 5/6 with my wife. They were Cache and Daches in a parking lot, but that was the only kind my wife would let me do, which was okay under the circumstances. I am getting better each day and plan on being out soon for some REAL caches. So get out there and hit those caches. Keep your GPS calibrated, your feet accelerated, and cache on.