Haiku Cointest

goosefraba1

Hello Ladies and Gents!

The forums have been quite kind to me in te way of cointests. I figure that it is about time for me to give back a little. My cointest my rules :blink:

I want you to compose your best Haiku poem about geocoins or geocaching. If you do not know what a Haiku is here is a link.

One entry per user.

This cointest will be judged by my wife.

The winner will receive a coin of my choosing.

Cointest will end Saturday May 1st at 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time.

Here is my example (don't forget to title it :laughing: ):

Title: Impatient Coiner

No coin in the box.

There are several en route.

Why aren't they here yet?

Good luck to everybody.... I will be checking.

~Goose~

I love haiku and look forward to reading them. I'll see if my muse will kick in to write one worthy of this cointest.

Do you want strictly the 5-7-5 style or is the English style with fewer than 17 syllables acceptable.

I would prefer the 5-7-5 style... Just because I prefer to keep things simple. Sorry for not making a

note of that earlier because I was short on time.

I am not good in Haiku poems and I find it difficult with the syllables just because we have a different way to seperate them! So I hope for your understanding! :laughing:

Title: love of Geocaching

A treasure hunt game

some happy moments in our life

Fun, love and friendship

Caches with geocoins

places to see and take photos

Shiny metal travellers

logbook for cache diary

Adventures and stories in pages

Ink is our speaker

Forums with friends

Fun love and carring inside

Soulmates from abroad

Cointests to play

Spreading some smiles to all

pretty coins as price

Mystery coiners too

generous giving persons

Kind angel souls

A game for all

no matter the age you have

Makes you child again!

A GPS in the hand

some good shoes to wear

A new way to live!

I do not know if I blow it with the syllables! I hope my mistakes are limited! :blink:

I think you can make a big haiku like that... right? ;)

title: Hurry up, GO!

Cache in a hurry

The phone beeps with an email

My first First to Find

And, it rings true, with my night tonight. I got my first FTF. Phone beeped at me, I looked at my wife, and said "gotta go" as it was 5.5mi away. It was a 2 part multi at dusk. I'm still stoked!! :laughing:

I am not good in Haiku poems and I find it difficult with the syllables just because we have a different way to seperate them! So I hope for your understanding! :laughing:

Title: love of Geocaching

A treasure hunt game

some happy moments in our life

Fun, love and friendship

Caches with geocoins

places to see and take photos

Shiny metal travellers

logbook for cache diary

Adventures and stories in pages

Ink is our speaker

Forums with friends

Fun love and carring inside

Soulmates from abroad

Cointests to play

Spreading some smiles to all

pretty coins as price

Mystery coiners too

generous giving persons

Kind angel souls

A game for all

no matter the age you have

Makes you child again!

A GPS in the hand

some good shoes to wear

A new way to live!

I do not know if I blow it with the syllables! I hope my mistakes are limited! :blink:

I think you can make a big haiku like that... right? ;)

GATOULIS,

A Haiku is a 3 LINE POEM

not a 24 line poem !!

Sorry I meant to make a note of that last night... Gatoulis always puts forth the ultimate amount of effort, even when something simple would suffice. Gatoulis, you can try again if you would like.

To make myself more clear, I am looking for a 3 line poem where the first line totals 5 sylables, the second line totals 7 sylables, and the 3rd line totals 5 sylables. This should be headed using a title. I understand that foreign tongues have different pronunciations of words... So just do your best. We will be able to understand. I promise. Thanks, goose.

Oh! so you can not make a big hiku? I mean... to make a poem like that but each 3 lines to be seperated? Oh! Huh! all these are too Japanese for me! :laughing: I am kiding! :blink:

to tell you the truth.. I have a huge problem wit the syllables! I had the same in other haiku cointests!

In greece we probably seperate the syllables completely different!

For example I will take some of the cacher names here, to see...

GATOULIS : in greek way it is 3 syllables!!

Seekerfamily: In greek way it is 5 syllables!!!

Chrysalides: in greek way it is 4 syllables!

So.... ??? ;)

I hope this one will be ok! I will use the last part of my previous poem! :lol:

Title: Geocaching....

A GPS in the hand

some good shoes to wear

A new way to live!

Oh! so you can not make a big hiku? I mean... to make a poem like that but each 3 lines to be seperated? Oh! Huh! all these are too Japanese for me! ;) I am kiding! :lol:

to tell you the truth.. I have a huge problem wit the syllables! I had the same in other haiku cointests!

In greece we probably seperate the syllables completely different!

For example I will take some of the cacher names here, to see...

GATOULIS : in greek way it is 3 syllables!!

Seekerfamily: In greek way it is 5 syllables!!!

Chrysalides: in greek way it is 4 syllables!

So.... ??? :D

I hope this one will be ok! I will use the last part of my previous poem! :lol:

Title: Geocaching....

A GPS in the hand

some good shoes to wear

A new way to live!

Gatoulis... you are not serious, are you???? :P:laughing::blink:

The words you wrote have the same number of syllables in English, German, Greek... Syllables!!! No matter what is your origin language, syllables are the same!!! Ok, like my first teacher many many years ago explainerd when I was six years old and new to school: Clap your hands while saying the word, the word has as many syllables as you clap. :lol::lol::lol:

Ok.. probably the names I choosed were not the best or they have the syllables as all the other but I do not think it is the same in greek!

For example... your Haiku...

If I count the sylables in the Greek way you have: 7-8-3!!! (I count FTF as one but I do not know if this can be done! Otherwise it is 3 (first to find) so it goes up to 7-8-6)!!

in greek...... forget it! :huh:

It goes to 10-11-11!!!

In other Haiku cointest, I was trying again but I had less syllables in one line, more in other...

Edited by GATOULIS

an other example is the word International!

I found that in english this word has 5 syllables...

in Greek I think it has 6 syllables, and the greek translation of the word... only 3! see the mess now? :huh:

If your haiku is in English, then count the syllables in English. Japanese Haikus translated into English may not have the 5-7-5 structure.

Take this example from Wikipedia:

古池や 蛙飛込む 水の音

furuike ya kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto

This separates into on as:

fu-ru-i-ke ya (5)

ka-wa-zu to-bi-ko-mu (7)

mi-zu no o-to (5)

Translated:

old pond . . .

a frog leaps in

water’s sound

You should write a haiku in Greek (and provide the translation since it'll be, well, Greek to me :blink:).

Edited by Chrysalides

From 9 year old

E of Team_BG:

Found it!

Looking hard for it ...

Found it! One more cache spotted.

Heading home tired.

that Haiku is cute! in most places where english is spoken, the word "tired" is 2 syllables...yet in Texas and New Mexico the southern twang makes the word one long syllable! :D as in: "i sure is dawwwwwwg tiiiiiiir'd". :lol: hey! thats 5 syllables too! ;)

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

only 2.5 days left... I'm assuming that almost everybody's haikus are posted, but I just figured that I would throw out the warning. @Wolfslady, we can continue to write these for fun, i think, as long as the poems are about geocoins (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Thanks, Goose

as long as the poems are about geocoins (somebody correct me if I am wrong)

The OP said:

I want you to compose your best Haiku poem about geocoins or geocaching.

...so I would say those are the only 2 subjects allowed?

Oops...you ARE the OP! :D So I'll ask...both subjects are allowed, correct?

Edited by Nikon-ing

The boss has chosen. There were many great poems, but only one was chosen..... *cue the snare drum roll please*

wait for it....

wait for it...

getting closer...

Nikon-ing, you have been chosen. My wife loved your poem, as she is not the biggest fan of snakes. The haiku made us both laugh :unsure: Anywho, pm me your mailing address and we will get things squared away.

Thanks everyone for participating! We will have another cointest sometime this month. It will be completely different ;)

Nikon-ing, you have been chosen. My wife loved your poem, as she is not the biggest fan of snakes. The haiku made us both laugh :unsure:

OMG you've made my nice day absolutely AWESOME!! I never win anything (just one of those people, I guess) but that's ok. It's fun to play. Now I know it's even funner to win!!!

Thanks so much for this cointest. I loved reading everyone's haikus. We have some very talented people here. Thank you, thank you, thank you! ;)