Crazy monkey tripod - mini hike?

ZeroHecksGiven

so I've had this on my watch list since I started cachin' last summer. Not sure what I've been saving it for, just haven't got out there. Well, my time is running out now. If you haven't heard, king county is removing it because it's a liability. If you're not sure what the cache is at all, well, check it out; GCMYJK

I was going to go for it this weekend, but with the CITO events, figured next weekend is going to work for me. Basically just throwing it out there in case anyone else has been slacking on getting this one done and wanted to go with a couple people.

Anyone in? Maybe a different weekend? Thoughts?

so I've had this on my watch list since I started cachin' last summer. Not sure what I've been saving it for, just haven't got out there. Well, my time is running out now. If you haven't heard, king county is removing it because it's a liability. If you're not sure what the cache is at all, well, check it out; GCMYJK

I was going to go for it this weekend, but with the CITO events, figured next weekend is going to work for me. Basically just throwing it out there in case anyone else has been slacking on getting this one done and wanted to go with a couple people.

That one has been on my to-do list for a long time. I remember Og wanted it as well, but I'm not sure if she went ahead without me and logged it.

That one has been on my to-do list for a long time. I remember Og wanted it as well, but I'm not sure if she went ahead without me and logged it.

I'd love to revisit the Monkey once more before it's gone, if only to see Crim climb it. :laughing:

Alas, my weekends are booked for the next three weeks, so I guess I'll miss out. Can't even set up a quick AHOTM. Y'all have fun! It's definitely worth the trip. If anyone wants to go on a weekday, tho, I am more available.

When is it due to be removed? That is one cache I've definitely wanted to find. :huh:

According to Hynsek's note on the cache page, May 15.

Actually, it says "by May 15." The rangers could remove it sooner, they didn't have a specific date but said it would be gone by then. If it were me, I'd grab it in the next two weeks.

We are going to try and go for this one Sunday afternoon. Not being very familiar with this area, can someone give me the basics on the best place to park and start from? Any special information I should know about getting there? Thanks in advance!

The closest trailhead is 47 30.993 122 03.479, the end of Sierra Ct. If you have a Garmin GPSr that takes maps, NW Trails will be a big help (if you have a Delorme there is a link in Switchbacks forums for a mapset that loads in them).

We are going to try and go for this one Sunday afternoon. Not being very familiar with this area, can someone give me the basics on the best place to park and start from? Any special information I should know about getting there? Thanks in advance!

The closest trailhead is 47 30.993 122 03.479, the end of Sierra Ct. If you have a Garmin GPSr that takes maps, NW Trails will be a big help (if you have a Delorme there is a link in Switchbacks forums for a mapset that loads in them).

Thanks for the info. I do have the NW Trails for my Garmin and have been looking at this on Mapsource and such. I saw this trailhead listed for the Squak Mtn Lookout cache as well as the trailhead at N47 29.687 W122 03.618. Wasnt too sure which one was closer. It looks like the one you suggested has a little less elevation gain.

Then again it also looks like from the maps and sattelite images that you can drive right to the lookout cache... Has anyone tried this? Can you actually get all the way to the lookout? There are houses and such not too far down that road so you must be able to get kind of close. Any thoughts?

an update on my end of things. I kind of forgot about the 10 year festivities going on next weekend and I'm trying to hit up a couple, so I probably won't get to it that weekend. My plan is to either go on friday(my day off) or the following weekend, the 8th or 9th. So yeah, busy time right now, so I guess my plans for a mini gathering was a long shot, lol. If you do go out, please post some pictures!

Thanks for the info. I do have the NW Trails for my Garmin and have been looking at this on Mapsource and such. I saw this trailhead listed for the Squak Mtn Lookout cache as well as the trailhead at N47 29.687 W122 03.618. Wasnt too sure which one was closer. It looks like the one you suggested has a little less elevation gain.

Then again it also looks like from the maps and sattelite images that you can drive right to the lookout cache... Has anyone tried this? Can you actually get all the way to the lookout? There are houses and such not too far down that road so you must be able to get kind of close. Any thoughts?

Unless you have a key to the gate, you'll be parking near the intersection.

I had been thinking about doing this one for #5000 for months. I figured that would be about May 15th. Then I saw it was going to get removed, so I figured I might try to round up a possie and bag it this weekend instead. Poof! It's gone. Goes to show that if you really want to find a cache, go find it, because you never know when it will be history. Have no idea what I will do for #5000 now. Maybe a 1/1 micro.

I had been thinking about doing this one for #5000 for months. I figured that would be about May 15th. Then I saw it was going to get removed, so I figured I might try to round up a possie and bag it this weekend instead. Poof! It's gone. Goes to show that if you really want to find a cache, go find it, because you never know when it will be history. Have no idea what I will do for #5000 now. Maybe a 1/1 micro.

Kind of like shopping at Costco. If you see something you like, go for it, since it might not be there the next time around. :)

Maybe you could head to the Mt. St. Helens area and bag #5,000 on the 18th to mark the 30th anniversary of the big eruption.

Well I am really disappointed that they took this ladder down. Like it was mentioned earlier, I had been meaning to get to this cache for quite some time so sitting here in my hotel room in El Paso, TX I'm pretty bummed out. They should start leveling all the mountains as well so as to keep people from falling off of them. Man I'm pissed. I will still be heading to those coords when I get back to share a beer with the late CMT.