Waterproof Paper

swizzle

http://www.relyco.com/waterproof_paper.htm

Has anyone gone through this company for waterproof logs? I'm kinda wondering what there idea of waterproof is and how well it would hold up under constant submersion. I really don't want to buy 1,000 sheets though. I know, I know, just raid the post office for tyvek. Swiz

Request some samples.

http://www.relyco.com/waterproof_paper_request.htm

I noticed that the thinnest is 3.7 mil. Not familiar with paper thickness - anyone knows if this is abnormally thick?

Has anyone gone through this company for waterproof logs? I'm kinda wondering what there idea of waterproof is and how well it would hold up under constant submersion. I really don't want to buy 1,000 sheets though. I know, I know, just raid the post office for tyvek. Swiz

Request some samples.

I noticed that the thinnest is 3.7 mil. Not familiar with paper thickness - anyone knows if this is abnormally thick?

no, it's not...typical plactic baggies are about that thick

Request some samples.

no, it's not...typical plactic baggies are about that thick

Not quite correct.

3.7 mil is just another way of saying 0.0037 of an inch. Or 3,7 thousands of an inch.

This is the thickness of 20# bond, aka copier paper.

If there were really a market for waterproof geocache logs, I would go into the waterproof log business.

Not this product but I have seen many logbooks of waterproof papers, and I've used several times for mine.

Generally it's certainly wonderful under wet environment. We can get (here in Japan) notepad type (4''x3'' - 3''x1'') and it's easy to use. Also available sheet type (8''x11''), suitable for printers (laser & inkjet available). It's rather thick (but not thick as "photo paper"). We must print rules, headers, etc. for log sheet, but IMO, its scrub-proof ability for toner of laser printer is rather weak.

Moreover, the waterproof logbooks easily rejects aqueous ink; the ink once fixes after it dries, but I've seen ink ran in wet condition. Always ziploc is important for containing logbook.

My thoughts are that you can have the most waterproof paper in the world but if the ink used to write on it runs off it... why bother? I am not trying be argumentative just curious about real wold experiences people have had with waterproof paper.

Does the writing not run or smear on them?

I ordered some waterproof paper last year from a geocaching supplies website. It looks exactly like the good bond paper I use in the printer at work. I haven't tried soaking it in a sink full of water yet, but it definitely doesn't look like it'll hold up as well as that slippery, almost plastic-feeling paper that I've seen used in some caches. Apparently not all waterproof paper is created equal. I'm creating a hide right now and would love to get my hands on some of the "plastic" stuff, but I've run into dead ends thus far looking for it. If any of you guys have come across it for sale, please holler at me.

A "mil" is equal to one thousandth of an inch. So, 30 mils, most common thickness of most plastic ID cards, is equal to 0.03 inches (0.76 mm).

:rolleyes:

I bought some Rite in the Rain paper and am trying to use it as log paper for a couple of my caches. I tested it by dunking in a cup of water for a couple hours. I was able to write on it with both pen and pencil even when it was wet and the ink didn't run after being soaked for a good long time. My only concern about it being wet long-term is mold. We'll see how it goes.

If your cache is somewhere like under the falls I might recommend rain-proof paper and an appropriate writing utensil. Anywhere else? Save your money for gas should the logbook need to be replaced. A good container handles most issues up front.

Edited by BlueDeuce

My thoughts are that you can have the most waterproof paper in the world but if the ink used to write on it runs off it... why bother? I am not trying be argumentative just curious about real wold experiences people have had with waterproof paper.

I was testing some Tyvek. I wrote on it with pen and pencil and Sharpee. soaked it for a while in water. Took it out, the writing had not smeared. I wrote on it right away and the pen worked perfectly, the pencil was OK and Sharpee was OK. But it definitely passed the test.

I never tried a gel pen.

Fedex envelopes work great, but only after they are used. Fedex wouldn't want you to use new envelopes for anything but shipping.

I was testing some Tyvek. I wrote on it with pen and pencil and Sharpee. soaked it for a while in water. Took it out, the writing had not smeared. I wrote on it right away and the pen worked perfectly, the pencil was OK and Sharpee was OK. But it definitely passed the test.

I never tried a gel pen.

Fedex envelopes work great, but only after they are used. Fedex wouldn't want you to use new envelopes for anything but shipping.

Use UPS envelopes... according to a Yahoo news article those drivers make $74000 a year...

Being a courier I kinda doubt that fact.

But thank you for the answer to what I was wondering.

I discovered some sheets of Rite in the Rain today, coincidentally. I haven't tried it, but if anyone wants a few sheets they can send me a note with their address and I'll send some to them. Of course I understand if people are reluctant to give their address to a stranger. I'm just putting it out there in case anyone is interested. I'm willing to mail some paper.

Hope this isn't against forum rules or anything.

I already ordered the free sample about 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for it. I may put in another order for it. Sorry about the security thing trying to download on your computer. I didn't have anything like that on mine. I'm running foxfire and Windows XP as well. I had some of the dura-rite and I like that stuff. With fresh pen you can smudge it but I doubt you could wipe it right off. The closest Fed-ex office is 60 miles away. I'd really like just a few sheets, say 25 to 30 to print out a few logs. I'm planning on doing some underwater caches and I have a container that will hold up long term. I just want something that will deal with a few drops from the wet cachers logging it and maybe a little added protection if they don't screw the top back down tight. I'm tempted to cut down a USPS mailer to try to fit it in my printer. Swiz

I got some Rite in the Rain copier paper to print logsheets on. It works fine in my laser printer. The paper survived 10 minute dunking in running water completely unscathed. Whatever random ink pen I tested with it wrote cleanly and didn't smear before or after dunking. Pencil writes OK, smears if you rub it, about the same amount of smearing as on regular paper. I found a 25 sheet pack from someone on amazon for $10 + $5 shipping.

There's also National Geographic Adventure Paper which is supposed to be completely waterproof and designed for inkjet printing. Pricey, but also available in small (25 sheet) quantities.

I've used National Geographic Adventure Paper and ball point ink doesn't run. Some felt tip pens do. It is difficult to write on NGAP in pencil.

Sweet I'll check out Amazon and see if I can find the Rite in the Rain.

You can check out REI for the National Geographic paper. It costs 10 times more, but if you find any waxy, thick paper in geocaches, that's probably what it is. It's waterproof instead of water resistant like RITR.

It's only about double the cost, where I checked online. Another big difference is that Nat Geo Adv Paper is for inkjets only. RITR copier paper is recommended only in laser printers and copiers.

I've been testing overhead projector vellum with sharpies. Its clear and kind of futuristicy :huh:

What's overhead projector vellum? Or do you mean transparencies? As for futuristic, I thought OHPs died out almost 10 years ago :blink:

Yes transparency vellum. It's easy to find at teacher supply stores. Overhead projectors have disappeared from business use yes, but education is at LEAST ten years in the past. I meant futuristicy in the sense of transparent paper.

It's only about double the cost, where I checked online. Another big difference is that Nat Geo Adv Paper is for inkjets only. RITR copier paper is recommended only in laser printers and copiers.

Really? Got to go back to re-check. RITR is less than 15 cents per sheet in quantities of 200 when I bought mine, NGAP is around $1 the last time I looked.

(time passes)

OK I looked.

NGAP - 25 sheets, $19.95 from Amazon. About 80 cents per sheet.

RITR - 200 sheets, $22.75 + shipping from milspecgear (Google shopping says $32.76 total incl. tax). About 16 cents per sheet. So NGAP is about 5 times more.

But you brought up a good point. Laser only compared to inkjet only. And for micro logs, 25 sheets will last a long time.

Edited by Chrysalides

These are the best prices I was able to find on 25 sheet 8.5 x 11

http://www.amazon.com/Rite-In-The-Rain-851...mp;sr=8-1-spell

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-...mp;sr=8-1-spell

Rite in the Rain $9.95

National Geographic Adventure Paper $19.95

So for 25 sheets, I'm sticking with 2x. I concede I didn't check other quantities.

Fair enough. Seems rather silly to buy 200 when you only need 25 just to save on price per sheet, I agree :huh:

These are the best prices I was able to find on 25 sheet 8.5 x 11

http://www.amazon.com/Rite-In-The-Rain-851...mp;sr=8-1-spell

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-...mp;sr=8-1-spell

Rite in the Rain $9.95

National Geographic Adventure Paper $19.95

So for 25 sheets, I'm sticking with 2x. I concede I didn't check other quantities.

Fair enough. Seems rather silly to buy 200 when you only need 25 just to save on price per sheet, I agree :huh:

Cool now I just need money in the bank. Come on next Friday. Getting paid every 2 weeks sux. Swiz

I don't always have access to laser printer. So I prefer inkjet type. But they are more expensive and the one I use igage instead of getting mushy it gets slimy. So the paper is fine but most inks will not stay. But I am curious about Ruff N Tuff or the The Inkjet Paper Girl paper.

Congrats! This is my first post - so I'm still figuring out this site. - I am also a Printer and 3.7 mil is not thick. It should be flexible, but not too wimpy. Good luck. Also - good luck with requesting a sample. Also - if you have a local print shop - they can request a sample of paper (ask for Yupo for an example of a waterproof never tear paper) and they should be able to get a sample from their distributor. Offer to pay them for their time though - it's a pain in the butt to get a sample. It's more work than ordering a lot of paper.

Just to clarify, rite in the rain(i believe) is coated in nano particles designed to not interfere with the normal functioning of paper, but to to pricing limitations, it isnot fully coated. The first few sheets made using this technology (by accident even) withstood a year under water with the pen on in unchanged. Then the inventor took it out, scribbled on it, and put it back in. DuraWrite is synthetic, and has a full coating.

Edited by Natman3400
I present my invention? Transpari-Logs. You just need to provide a fine point Sharpie or be sure everyone has one. Everyone carries a Sharpie Pen now yes?

Advantage : totally waterproof, recyclable (take photo then wipe with alcohol, if you figure out how to make the lines / logo alcohol-proof - laser printer, maybe? print on reverse side)

Disadvantage : can only use one side, needs sharpie, can't fold easily, easily smudged when ink is still wet.

Have you actually deployed this out in the field? How is it working out?

Edit : oh, you should call it Transpari-Logs :rolleyes:

Edited by Chrysalides

These were my trial run, they have about 44 spaces to sign on them. In my neck of the woods that will last quite a while. It rolled just fine to fit the tube. Which I then filled with water and set on my counter for a week. When I took it out, I wiped it off with a rag and it was totally unaltered.

I picked the sheets up at a teacher's supply store for .30 each and carefully hand lined them with a Sharpie ultrafine and a ruler. I'm going to try inkjet and laserjet printing next.

I did cut a strip for a nano but it is tough to roll it that small and not worth it in my opinion.

My local craft store sells all types of mini-Sharpies. I am going to see if I can modify them to fit in a matchtube like I currently do with hotel pens.

I have a couple rite in the rain notebooks that I plan to put in a cache or two to see how they do. Maybe I should do some testing on them first. I got them free so I can't complain.

We used Rite in the rain paper when I was surveying in the Seattle area. It could be raining so hard that water was running down my arm every time I'd lift it to the instrument, and I'd have to shake the water off the page, but I could still write on the stuff. Pretty impressive stuff.

I have a couple rite in the rain notebooks that I plan to put in a cache or two to see how they do. Maybe I should do some testing on them first. I got them free so I can't complain.

We used Rite in the rain paper when I was surveying in the Seattle area. It could be raining so hard that water was running down my arm every time I'd lift it to the instrument, and I'd have to shake the water off the page, but I could still write on the stuff. Pretty impressive stuff.

I use Rite In The Rain paper here on the soggy N. Coast of Calif. And have had the same results as the quoted poster. In our region we find it in most stationery stores, engineering and surveying supply houses. It is also available in some campus bookstores. ( especially on campuses where there are forestry programs here in the Northwest ) . Some law enforcement and public safety supply houses carry the product as well.

It is always good to have a pencil at hand because not all inks like Rite In The Rain Paper. ( skipping is sometimes an issue )

Edited by humboldt flier