Cache placement question

theymightbegiants

I'm thinking of placing a cache (a micro, film container) in front of a high school near my house. The only problem I fear with this is how paranoid schools are about security and drugs after Columbine. They may not want strangers coming and going on their property and if they find a hidden container of anything, they'll probably assume it's drugs without even looking, or the numerous high school students around might make it a drughole.

Just to be clear, this cache location would be right off a well-traveled street, with a public sidewalk. I figure, if it's a public school, which the community's tax dollars pay for, then it's public property.

So what is the official rule here? What should I do if it does have drugs in it? Is there a policy against schools?

your best bet is to stay away from school proximity

while i am not entirely sure if there is anything official against placing caches near schools, there is a rule against placing caches on private property without proper permision

and i am very inclined to say that school grounds are private property, at least they are where i live

however that will be a very busy place and even if its not suspected of containing drugs, there is a high chance that cache will be muggled, someone is bound to be seen by the kids and the curiosity will draw them there

do you really have to place it in that location?

Edited by t4e

I'm thinking of placing a cache (a micro, film container) in front of a high school near my house. The only problem I fear with this is how paranoid schools are about security and drugs after Columbine. They may not want strangers coming and going on their property and if they find a hidden container of anything, they'll probably assume it's drugs without even looking, or the numerous high school students around might make it a drughole.

Just to be clear, this cache location would be right off a well-traveled street, with a public sidewalk. I figure, if it's a public school, which the community's tax dollars pay for, then it's public property.

So what is the official rule here? What should I do if it does have drugs in it? Is there a policy against schools?

You obviously haven't read the Guidelines. I'd suggest doing so before attempting to place a cache.

As a relatively new GC'er I can't really offer any advice on this other than has already given. However, has a cop..bad, bad idea. Although Star Brand made me laugh out loud (litterally not figuratively) he is on the money. In fact, I got a call today from a school because an unfamiliar car was parked in front of the school where the children play. There have been way too many violent incidents on schools and staff is trained to look for an report ANY suspicious activity. The quote below matches that pretty well.

Bad idea.

It likely won't get published as the guidelines prohibit such caches and very explict permission would be required if it went through. Even then it is still a bad idea as no school wants a 43 year old fat man with electronics poking around the school building.

I figure, if it's a public school, which the community's tax dollars pay for, then it's public property.

It may well be public property, but it's use is regulated and there is a supervisor that determines what may or may not be proper concerning that property. Much as a public park.

Being "public property" does not necessarily grant a person free and complete use of same.

It is good that you came to the forums and asked, before jumping, though. :rolleyes:

Bad idea.

It likely won't get published as the guidelines prohibit such caches and very explict permission would be required if it went through. Even then it is still a bad idea as no school wants a 43 year old fat man with electronics poking around the school building.

for the same reason you should keep away from playground equipment in parks

I really dont want to explain "I was geocaching, not stalking kids"

While the school may be publicly funded, and in some ways public property there are restrictions for the use of that property. In some localities trespassing can be very loosely defined in those kinds of instances for the very reasons you mention (security).

And the guidelines state:

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Secondary schools include middle and high schools.

While the school may be publicly funded, and in some ways public property there are restrictions for the use of that property. In some localities trespassing can be very loosely defined in those kinds of instances for the very reasons you mention (security).

And the guidelines state:

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Secondary schools include middle and high schools.

You mentioned all the things that are bad ideas for the cache, schools being wary of suspicious people around and high chance of the kids finding it and destroying it or adding drugs to it(not what I would worry about but you mentioned it) and then asked what the guidelines are. So you already KNOW its a bad idea and then Jeep4two told you about the section in the guidelines that says :

Off-Limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

But I've seen caches on obviously private property (lamps, parking lots, drive throughs). I already found a cache ON an elementary school lot. GC16VEE which has been superceded by a new cache.

I see no problem, and <deleted> all y'all I'm doing it.

wow.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

But I've seen caches on obviously private property (lamps, parking lots, drive throughs). I already found a cache ON an elementary school lot. GC16VEE which has been superceded by a new cache.

I hope you are joking. :laughing:

Well, then, why did you even ask.

Now that you've put your local reviewer on notice of your intentions, I'm taking bets that this cache doesn't get published and that any caches you may submit in the future get a bit of extra scrutiny.

First, please watch your language. This is a family friendly forum.

Second, PLEASE read and REALLY UNDERSTAND the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

In addition the sections quoted numerously above regarding school locations being a bad idea against the guidelines, read the third paragraph which I have quoted below.

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache.

Along with all the above advice...one other thing. Kids are very good at finding things, and you may just find the cache gets muggled. I don't have kids, but personally wouldn't place a cache near a school - unless it were a permanently closed one. :laughing:

I see the OP's point about our tax dollars, and therefore schools being public property, but I just don't like the idea of having to explain myself to security or the law. Or of making pupils/staff feel insecure. The only way I might contemplate it would be to work with the Principal if there were a geocaching programme in the school.

I hope under the the "deleted" you had typed "thanks to", because most of us here are not impressed by Jr high antics.

I find it amusing, in that you ask a question, receive a number of negative responses (along with the appropriate reasoning), a total of "0" answers as to what you obviously want to hear, yet you are gonna go ahead and do it anyway (along with an expletive for all who tried to help you).

I bet when you are old enough to drive, you and the traffic cops will have some fun times together!

There have been Quite a few times (as Im sure we all have) :laughing: when I had a PERFECT location for a cache, only to discover that it would go against the guidelines in some way. Suck it up and drive on. Find another lamp post to place your film canister or bush to throw it in. There is always another place to put it. A high saturation of caches in an area and limitations on how to place it can force you to get more creative, and that is exactly the type we all itch for! I hope you do the right thing!

Edited by jasenjess

We have been to a cache at an elementary school and the cache was actually placed by one of the classes there! However, we didn't think having a cache at a school was a good idea, for all the obvious (and previously stated) safety concerns for the children present. I asked my brother, who knew it was in the area, if he was SURE we weren't going to get arrested, especially since we were in our out-of-state vehicle!

There's a cache here adjacent to an elementary school that's a project of the school itself (it's actually on city-owned property). It's absolutely overflowing with stuff left for the kids. It was so cool to rummage through that ammo box and read the log and all the kind comments folks left for the kids.

I think some highschoolers near here years ago tried this. However, I think the key is is this cache a class project or just some random person placing a cache at the school. Or just individual student. Typically if there is such a class project it's made known to administration it is there, usually signed off on by administration and thusly draws less negative attention with people searching for it. Versus someone just putting it there without any notification or permission from administration with the result being a lot of strange people crawling around school property carrying a container which looks like it could either hold drugs or a bomb...

Yeah they will always err on the side of caution and safety with containers. I'm coming from a small town paradigm and didn't consider larger towns. In the small towns here if something like that was planted by a class with the blessing of the administrators not only would all the kids in the school, their parents and various neighboring schools know about it but the 4 sheriffs would also know about it.

In larger communities where word of mouth is not as effective probably wouldn't fly at all.

Yeah they will always err on the side of caution and safety with containers. I'm coming from a small town paradigm and didn't consider larger towns. In the small towns here if something like that was planted by a class with the blessing of the administrators not only would all the kids in the school, their parents and various neighboring schools know about it but the 4 sheriffs would also know about it.

I bet it would get top headlines and at least 6 inches of column. :rolleyes:

Very new at this hobby so my input may not be worth much.

Each cache my wife and I have visited so far has been placed for a reason, great view, historical or interesting feature etc.

I read a quote from someone that said something along the lines of " if the sole reason for bringing people to the cache is to find the cache then think of a more suitable spot." I can't remember exactly how it goes but that's the general drift.

If there is a feature that you would like to bring to peoples attention, but it is in a sensitive area could you make it part of a multi-cache?

Surely nobody could be worried about some nerd wandering around with a gps and a notepad getting clues for his next co-ordinates. Whats the speed limit across the bridge, what year was the school built, etc. Would that work? We have done a couple of multi caches and enjoyed them a lot.

Del of DelSue