3 D MARK? 2-Toned Disk?

On our way to Laughlin on Friday, we spotted an antenna so we had to stop to see if we had missed one.

55394d00-74b8-4951-b779-f243fe18c78e.jpg

As it turns out, it was a brand new disk -

b18a1891-a1c5-49d9-bc68-be4c50a4b1f5.jpg

"BOTT" - a 3 D MARK.

3 D MARK? What is it and is that going to be the normal setting from now on?

Also, it is a nice 2 tone disk. A beauty but, is that also going to be the norm?

acba50a6-31c4-4e1d-879b-2faa5ec7d157.jpg

Any ideas? Inquiring minds would like to know....:rolleyes:

Shirley~

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

Wow. Cool disk.

There wasn't anyone around the equipment to ask?

No surveyors nor anyone else.

It was out on the Navajo Reservation, along highway 89 just south of Cameron, AZ. (the turn off for the South Rim of the Grand Canyon). I wondered if it would not be bothered at all myself. I would not leave anything along the roadside that looked like it might be worth money.

Interesting though....

The RLS number belongs to the surveyor who provided the equipment and knowledge to assist AZcachemeister with the placement of the Arizona GEOCAC disk. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on the NGS via OPUS once they've gotten the data processed. Here's a link to a similar style disk near Winslow that he published last November: BBBP03 ZORN.

The RLS number belongs to the surveyor who provided the equipment and knowledge to assist AZcachemeister with the placement of the Arizona GEOCAC disk. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on the NGS via OPUS once they've gotten the data processed. Here's a link to a similar style disk near Winslow that he published last November: BBBP03 ZORN.

Cool, Thank you southpawaz.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the agency stamping...

That disk is way too cool looking!!! Speaking of the equipment,my son just got done playing with that stuff (and knows how to use it) thanks to his surveying merit badge. It's quite common to see it along side the road (sometimes for days on end) with no one around.............

When I was setting control for road projects I sometimes had 6 GPS receivers running simultaneously, just me and my suburban to cover many miles in a day. I would often spend all morning setting them up and programming them to turn on a 12:30pm and shut off at 6pm, then pick everything up and go back to motel, download to laptop and email to opus. . I would spend the day patrolling hoping no one would steal one and no one ever did. Some long days but I was on my way home at noon on Thursday, we worked 4 - 10 work days.

Management said the GPS could replace people and it could but they wondered why I put 100,000 miles on my suburban in only 3 yrs.

So you likely got one man working

Edited by Z15

When I was setting control for road projects I sometimes had 6 GPS receivers running simultaneously, just me and my suburban to cover many miles in a day. I would often spend all morning setting them up and programming them to turn on a 12:30pm and shut off at 6pm, then pick everything up and go back to motel, download to laptop and email to opus. . I would spend the day patrolling hoping no one would steal one and no one ever did. Some long days but I was on my way home at noon on Thursday, we worked 4 - 10 work days.

Management said the GPS could replace people and it could but they wondered why I put 100,000 miles on my suburban in only 3 yrs.

So you likely got one man working

Thanks for the insight and explanation Z15. It actually sounds like a great job.

Can those stay out in the rain, or could you only do it on dry days?

Can those stay out in the rain, or could you only do it on dry days?

Sure can, the only thing to worry about is lightening. Whats fun is setting up in the dark in the freezing rain on top of a rock outcrop.

Great job? Gets boring after a while because its the same day in and day out.

I looked more closely at the top photo and what is going on here is called RTK (Real Time Kinematic).

Real Time Kinematic (RTK) satellite navigation is a technique used in land survey and in hydrographic survey based on the use of carrier phase measurements of the GPS, GLONASS and/or Galileo signals where a single reference station provides the real-time corrections, providing up to centimetre-level accuracy. When referring to GPS in particular, the system is also commonly referred to as Carrier-Phase Enhancement, CPGPS.

In practice, RTK systems use a single base station receiver and a number of mobile units. The base station re-broadcasts the phase of the carrier that it measured, and the mobile units compare their own phase measurements with the ones received from the base station. There are several ways to transmit a correction signal from base station to mobile station. The most popular way to achieve real-time, low-cost signal transmission is to use a radio modem, typically in the UHF band. In most countries, certain frequencies are allocated specifically for RTK purposes. Most land survey equipment have a built-in UHF band radio modem as a standard option.

This allows the units to calculate their relative position to millimeters, although their absolute position is accurate only to the same accuracy as the position of the base station. The typical nominal accuracy for these dual-frequency systems is 1 centimetre ± 2 parts-per-million (ppm) horizontally and 2 centimetres ± 2 ppm vertically.

Although these parameters limit the usefulness of the RTK technique in terms of general navigation, it is perfectly suited to roles like surveying. In this case, the base station is located at a known surveyed location, often a benchmark, and the mobile units can then produce a highly accurate map by taking fixes relative to that point. RTK has also found uses in autodrive/autopilot systems, precision farming and similar roles.

The Virtual Reference Station (VRS) method extends the use of RTK to a whole area of a reference station network. Operational reliability and the accuracies to be achieved depend on the density and capabilities of the reference station network.

Contents

Edited by Z15